Fixing something that's not broken.

CarsNStars

New IU  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to change to the new IU within this year?

• Yes, we should support the govt and the future!
    • Over my dead VTEC engine I will change.
    • I never used the IU in my car, EVER.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

FYI, new IU might be compulsory for all new cars in 2010.

--------

New ERP readers for cars

By Christopher Tan, Senior Correspondent

June 29, 2009

NEW cars will be fitted with second-generation electronic road-pricing readers from Tuesday - nine months after they were first available for motorcycles.

The new readers allow motorists the option of using cards which comply with Singapore's contactless e-purse application (Cepas) - such as the new ez-link transit card.

But motorists are likely to stick with the current Nets CashCard for their cars. This is because most carparks with electronic payment systems have not been converted to read Cepas-compliant cards.

The Land Transport Authority on Monday said such carparks will be converted 'progressively' to read Cepas cards from October.

Existing car owners do not have to change the new generation ERP readers. But if they wish to, they can do so - at $150 each.

They can do so at LTA authorised vehicle inspection centres.

Since the introduction of the new ERP readers last September, more than 17,300 vehicles have been fitted with it. They comprise mostly of motorcycles.

For enquiries on the new ERP readers, motorists may call LTA on 1800-225-5582.

Edited by CarsNStars
↡ Advertisement

but everyone is already paying for it when they brought the car..

anyway, it's not compulsory to change from the old to new one..

Turbocharged

answer is...NO

i won't pay the $150..and if they enforce it to be changed by 2010..then LTA should do a 1-to-1 exchange since we paid for our IU and it's THEM who wanted to change..and not us..

problems wif those scholars up there again... tink of such ideas and make us pay to change... $150!!!! got problem ah, can pay 3 times fine of double yellow lines parking...

(edited)

answer is...NO

i won't pay the $150..and if they enforce it to be changed by 2010..then LTA should do a 1-to-1 exchange since we paid for our IU and it's THEM who wanted to change..and not us..

Exactly... if they can do a 1-to-1 swop for the new CEPAS ez-link card.... y not the IU... since they are the one who initiated the change.

Since the introduction of the new ERP readers last September, more than 17,300 vehicles have been fitted with it. They comprise mostly of motorcycles.

this is total BS... this is introduced last year... and when i bought my car this year.. they still install the old IU... well done. [smash][smash][smash]

Edited by Espire

Neutral Newbie

Judging from the response, it seems like LTA will have an issue trying to make it voluntary for vehicles to put this new IU in! I suspect they will go the "by law" way again... milking us for all it's worth (let's hope prices don't rise when it becomes compulsory!)

Anyway just wanted to ask a weird question out of burning curiosity - if LTA comes out and say "If you install new IU, we will grant you 50% off ERP charges for the next 3 months." Will you guys rush for it then? Or is it still a resounding "no"?

Neutral Newbie

Judging from the response, it seems like LTA will have an issue trying to make it voluntary for vehicles to put this new IU in! I suspect they will go the "by law" way again... milking us for all it's worth (let's hope prices don't rise when it becomes compulsory!)

Anyway just wanted to ask a weird question out of burning curiosity - if LTA comes out and say "If you install new IU, we will grant you 50% off ERP charges for the next 3 months." Will you guys rush for it then? Or is it still a resounding "no"?

Nah, unless your travel into town or take routes which go through Endless Road Paying system... Rough calculation, $5 of ERP a day. 50% * 20 weekdays = $50/mth.... Well for me i dun hit $5 or ERP charges a day.. Dunno bout the rest..

Clear NO for something that's ain't broke!!

Why need to change?

Are you saying that those Cepas carpark will only allow the new IU in 2010? Cannot be right?

The old skool IU still can go anywhere and any carpark in Singaproe in 2010 and beyond right?

FYI, new IU might be compulsory for all new cars in 2010.

Supersonic

In the first place, we should tear down the stupid ERP system.

Yet they want you to pay more, so it's easy for them to collect more of your money.

Neutral Newbie

If they serious about introducing something good, give people some carrot lah. Don't treat us like carrot head to pay that $150 for something we can still live without. [thumbsdown]