All about air filters...

Which air filter will you choose and why?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. OEM Filter vs. Open pod Filter vs. Retail Filter

• OEM Filter
    • Open pod Filter
    • Retail Filter

18 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

double praise you. paper OEM best. K&N lets dirt in and kills the cylinder bores. Worst still are those absolute crap hurricane filters. 

Then you get the naysayers who will say Singapore cars 10years only. then might as well don't put any filter... more power!! 😁

K&N filter dont "let in dirt". There are many other stuff that can dirty the throttle body, valves and cylinders. One of them is the PCV return and the other is the EGR or exhaust gas recirculation. Imo these two are even worse. The no good thing about K&N filter is the oil that can damage your MAF(air intake sensor) and MAP(boost sensor if your car has a turbo) sensors. So if you want to use K&N whether it is drop in or open pod you have to wash off most of the oil on the cotton mesh filter. Or you can find other brand of filter that has the cotton mesh but w/o the oil.

The factory airbox design is restricted because the volume of air going into the engine is pretty much determine by the size of the airbox. It is good for fuel economy but there is a lag in throttle response when you want to accelerate harder. And the airbox in today's car is pretty small because it takes up space in the engine bay.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

If you do your engine oil change on a regular basis. It doesnt matter what cotton mesh air filter you are using. The engine oil will have the cleaning agents to flush out the impurities. There is also the engine oil filter. As long as bigger particles that cannot get thru the cotton mesh I think it is good enough. 

If you see those formula cars their air intake is filtered by some wire mesh to keep debris out. What they want is unobstructed air flow. The ICE is like an air pump. It needs loads of air to run.

Cosworth_DFV.jpg

• Praise 1

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

If you do your engine oil change on a regular basis. It doesnt matter what cotton mesh air filter you are using. The engine oil will have the cleaning agents to flush out the impurities. There is also the engine oil filter. As long as bigger particles that cannot get thru the cotton mesh I think it is good enough. 

If you see those formula cars their air intake is filtered by some wire mesh to keep debris out. What they want is unobstructed air flow. The ICE is like an air pump. It needs loads of air to run.

Cosworth_DFV.jpg

this one is different. race cars only need the engines to last a few races before they rebuild. not for normal road cars which longevity is needed.

• Praise 2

Twincharged
6 hours ago, Dafansu said:

my servicing is free till 100k, so they will change every 10k. 

I don't think any AD will change Air Filter every 10,000Km...except you pay for it.

Turbocharged
18 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

I don't think any AD will change Air Filter every 10,000Km...except you pay for it.

my servicing is free as mentioned till 100k under cycle and carriage, using K&N currently, every 10k servicing they will give me a new air filter since i'm using K&N. No payment till now

On 7/13/2021 at 2:01 PM, Watwheels said:

I believe an F1 car engine is used and thrown away after a racing season.

The amount of dust accumulated over a few races is too negligible for piston head wear and tear.

I change mine via DIY every roughly 25k.  It is not that expensive to buy an OEM or original filter online e.g. Vios <$10 and Shuttle <$15.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1