All about air filters...

Which air filter will you choose and why?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. OEM Filter vs. Open pod Filter vs. Retail Filter

• OEM Filter
    • Open pod Filter
    • Retail Filter

ya lo.. that's why stopped using it ma..

then now using back OEM.. i buy one SS Drop-In, i can use that same price to buy three more OEM or even four..

↡ Advertisement

I'm really glad to see some very frank opinion on this. Looks like I may scrap the CAI from my mod roadmap... not sure yet...

My question is whether that little bit more of dirt sucked in will do serious damage to the engine? Is there some kind of tolerance level? How does the fuel system get cleaned as over time there's bound to be a certain amount of dust that somehow gets sucked in?

I'm really glad to see some very frank opinion on this. Looks like I may scrap the CAI from my mod roadmap... not sure yet...

My question is whether that little bit more of dirt sucked in will do serious damage to the engine? Is there some kind of tolerance level? How does the fuel system get cleaned as over time there's bound to be a certain amount of dust that somehow gets sucked in?

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showto...20&start=20

Please refer to the above link. Go to post 27 in page 2.

I believe engines are robust enough to take in the dirt. The dirt will probably coat your throttle body, MAF sensor, and gets right into the other parts and get squashed around the engine oil and hopefully gets trapped in the oil filter.

For some cars, like the current Civic, don't even have air filters right?

So whether open-pod, close-pod, OEM or after-market drop-in probably don't make much of a difference unless the ECU is tuned to register the increase in air-flow or volume and even temperature.

Supersonic

I was thinking about air filters box design.....

Why is there no aftermarket parts that allow for TWO original air filters to be install?

If what we want is more air into the engine, then whouldn't there be a market for a resonator box that allows one to install two or more original air filters? Aka more surface area for air flow into the engine.

A typical resonator intake box is a cube with six sides, I am sure there is a way to redesign the box to allow two or more(5 max) sides for placing the original air filters to be installed.

This will surely be a better design as it gives good original filtration and reduce the air pressure drop (due to increased surface area) into the engine!

You can get more air in by using a bigger oem air box with a bigger filter media.

That would give you good filteration as well as more air flow.

Normally, you would look for a bigger cc car.

But you would need to mod the mountings.

Leave the OEM filter alone. Dirty just replace. Dun risk damaging your air sensor with an aftermarket air filter.

The purpose of an air filter is to filter away grease & fine particles. It does not give you any form of significant performance. The OEM foam & paper filter is still the best.

now i truely noe y so many ppl saying tat owning a car in sg is a waste of $$$... for me, i dun tink so moreover i saved more dan any other car owners when it come to servicing... at the end of the day, u hav to noe ur stuffs well enuf.. dun be surprised tat air sensor plays a part in getting better fc.. i'm not going to say how, but trust me go ask around and do some researches...

You won't get more air inside by having a bigger filter box, nor having multiple filters.

The bottleneck is the actual piping size leading to the manifold. This needs to be bigger to get more air in. Else however big a box or however big the filter surface..... it'll only help that much. Flow rate will be increased due to less restriction and that's about as much increase one can get (no filter would be the best flow obtainable for that particular setup)

Anything more, it'll be down to increasing the pipe size.... which'll screw up your car's AFR unless it is re-tuned.

but theres no denying e rev climbs faster wif a higher flow. Once i dump e OEM air filter, i nvr regret. mi clocked 40k in a yr both in here n MY, no problem since. But i make it a pt to clean them every 15k as its v ezy.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

are you a teacher?

hahahahaha, dun mind me saying bro, knn le u...

but u r quite right. It sounds like a GP question, hahahaha, gd one

Edited by Tubecreamer

Why is there no aftermarket parts that allow for TWO original air filters to be install?

If what we want is more air into the engine, then whouldn't there be a market for a resonator box that allows one to install two or more original air filters? Aka more surface area for air flow into the engine.

A typical resonator intake box is a cube with six sides, I am sure there is a way to redesign the box to allow two or more(5 max) sides for placing the original air filters to be installed.

This will surely be a better design as it gives good original filtration and reduce the air pressure drop (due to increased surface area) into the engine!

I give you two half size airboxes with two half sized filters for your SSS can?

You won't get more air inside by having a bigger filter box, nor having multiple filters.

The bottleneck is the actual piping size leading to the manifold. This needs to be bigger to get more air in. Else however big a box or however big the filter surface..... it'll only help that much. Flow rate will be increased due to less restriction and that's about as much increase one can get (no filter would be the best flow obtainable for that particular setup)

Anything more, it'll be down to increasing the pipe size.... which'll screw up your car's AFR unless it is re-tuned.

tat's y those ppl who really into cars got another air intake through another manifold in... and as i said, open pod for A/T cars are not advisable due to A/T cars has already a lot air already... u will suffer and getting a no power car after putting in open pod...

sounds like a lot of work for a small increase in response. not to mention noise.

most car engine bays are quite cramped these days too.

hold on a 6 sided airbox... isn't that an open pod filter? [laugh]

Yes, I think it's not too beneficial to NA cars.

As for power loss, what I understand is the exhaust (output) that is the main culprit. For air intake, as long as the NA engine can pull whatever air it requries with as little resistance.... then the objective is met.

For TC cars.... the improvement can be substantial.

tat's y those ppl who really into cars got another air intake through another manifold in... and as i said, open pod for A/T cars are not advisable due to A/T cars has already a lot air already... u will suffer and getting a no power car after putting in open pod...

Till now, it seemed like the voting goes like this.

-> OEM filter then Retail filter then Open pod filter.

All my previous rides installed open pod and I am so used to it.

Some comments are actually true. The filter is not dirty after long mileage. Hmmm... [:|]

I will keep more posts coming in before I decide on what to do next. ^_^

(edited)

sorry...

but you sound so much like a teacher... i just have to ask. :D

anyway back to your thread.... i use OEM also...

it actually depends on how you want to car to behave i guess

different ppl go for different qualities

Edited by Ngck

hahahahaha, dun mind me saying bro, knn le u...

but u r quite right. It sounds like a GP question, hahahaha, gd one

thats my point. haha

↡ Advertisement