Pay GST for JB shopping at Woodlands Checkpoint

Opel17

Me & wif went JB on sat for shopping [clothings, grocery, household items].

On way back at the Woodlands CP, where ICA check the car boot, the ICA officer asked for the receipt.

Informed me total about RM300++, have to pay GST, becos exceed S$50 x 2pax.

Handover my passport, diverted to "drive back" to an adjacent zone, park car, follow him to ICA office, senior ICA officer query and informed next time must declare at Red Lane otherwise offence, then the previous ICA officer lead me to the nearby Tax/Duties Office to pay the GST.

After deduct the allowance S$50 x 2pax, 7% GST on the balance about S$3.00. Paid with S$10, but they have no change, can pay with Nets but did not bring Nets card, so have to pay S$3.00 with Visa card.

About to drive off, when 2 more cars were "invited" to the same zone.

Anyone with similar encounter ?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

how come double standard?

if buy things frm usa > sg$400 then need to pay tax.

buy frm jb $50 also need to pay tax?

USA further, more effort to drive there lol. at least a few months on a car. JB so near, 10 mins without jam can reach. Of course they would allow 400 from USA but only 50 from malaysia.

There is no double standard, dude. Please go and read up before you comment. YOu are entitled to the following GST relief:

Away from Singapore for:

Less than 24 hours - S$50 (Adult), (below 18, no relief)

24 Hours to less than 48 Hours - S$150 (Adult), S$50 (below 18)

48 Hours and above - S$300 (Adult), S$100 (below 18)

Neutral Newbie

On way back at the Woodlands CP, where ICA check the car boot, the ICA officer asked for the receipt.

Handover my passport, diverted to "drive back" to an adjacent zone, park car, follow him to ICA office, senior ICA officer query and informed next time must declare at Red Lane otherwise offence, then the previous ICA officer lead me to the nearby Tax/Duties Office to pay the GST.

After deduct the allowance S$50 x 2pax, 7% GST on the balance about S$3.00. Paid with S$10, but they have no change, can pay with Nets but did not bring Nets card, so have to pay S$3.00 with Visa card.

Aiyoh.....luck they never check my shopping groceries and reciepts.

Sometimes I buy RM200 of groceries with my wife & also some expensive medications that'll exceed RM500 liiao.

I guess it's a random kind of operation or customs exercise to raise awareness of such a GST ruling from JB.

For IRAS, anything that is imported through postal parcels - let's say you buy something online, the first $400 is GST exempted.

If you are a traveller, the first $50 is not charged GST - if you are away for less than 24 hours. They have a sort of scale, if you are away between 24 and 48 hours, the concession is $150, and above 48hours, it is $300. BTW, different rates applies if you are less than 18 years old, no reasons were given as to why.

Although to us it's still pretty much the same. Bringing in a bar of soap from JB and importing the same thing online and have it delivered to your door step, it's the same thing. But to the govt, it's different. One is an online purchase, the other is a traveller carrying goods back.

The point is, there is no point going JB to buy stuff back if it can be purchased here with much less hassle. Further it's not always cheaper considering the time and petrol costs. And what we can't find here, there's always the internet. And if you can't find it on the internet, you may have the next million dollars business idea.

I'm always conscious of not buying more than RM120 per person if I drive in JB for shopping.

Once I was alone with RM180 and officer who saw it just gave me warning that next time will be taxed.

something new today, sometimes my family go on our weekend grocery trip, our boot full of plastic bags containing stuff.

They juz open, flip here & there, waive us on...wah maybe nw got to lie low bit..

Turbocharged

i think the amount differs according to the number of days you are overseas..the longer you are overseas, the more you are allowed to have 'GST free'..

I tot it should be S$300 and not RM300....

Cos I ever bring back 2 sets of car seats from Bangkok.

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showto...920711&st=0

So what will happen if we say lost the receipt? [rolleyes]

They can always assess the value (on the high side?) and tax u accordingly. So, not worth to act blur.

↡ Advertisement