Big Company vs Small Company

Drive_carcar

Big Company vs Small Company  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which job offer to take?

• Big Company - demotion from current but higher pay
    • Small Company - promotion from current job, about same pay as current

wake up! u work for $$ the end

It also depends, somethings earning a few hundreds less and have less s--t also good. But that's what one feels when inside that kind of situation.

Then again, $$$ is not a that big issue, as the difference is very small. It's more on the long term impact on ones' marketability.

i think you have to change your mindset, bosses will always change only you and the company is the constant, you can't be following your boss wherever he goes right.

Good bosses are the bonus. It's the salary that pays the bills. And the salary is what indicates your worth to the compnay.

The reason why some people want to leave thier jobs may be the current pay doesn't justify the sh&t. So we can't say money is not an important factor at the first place. I'm not very surprised the polls indicate the MNC to be the more popular choice, and these votes are made without knowing what is the big company. If people know the big company, then the results will be even more overwhelming.

But please don't let the votes influence your choice. Please vote according to what you feel honestly. Keep them coming man!

sometimes, smaller companies can pay more since like you say...if you assume a higher post. For bigger companies, sometimes you are just 1 drop in the ocean. And so how do you justify a higher than normal pay? sometimes it's luck too.

sometimes, smaller companies can pay more since like you say...if you assume a higher post. For bigger companies, sometimes you are just 1 drop in the ocean. And so how do you justify a higher than normal pay? sometimes it's luck too.

My Advice is..

"If YOU are good .... EVERYWHERE you go you will succeed ... it's not the COMPANY but YOU yourself..."

If you are good... even pour shi.t also can become CEO of a waste company...

promotion is nothing but a name tag.. throw a coin and most likely you hit some AVP at shenton way during lunch..

but a plate of nasi lemak and the person in front, behind or seated at the same table are some VP..

some can be wellpaid, others don't dare to drive into CBD coz the parking will kill them.. so what is promotion?

look for money, potential to move and excel either in her rights or to move further and higher..

I think that is absolutely the best quote I have ever heard (seen) in ages!

I worked so hard to just to make more $$$.

If you ask me, I rather not work and play golf the whole day. I work in order to feed all my needs - which requires money. To me work is but a mean to an end, it is not everything. Loyalty is way overrated nowadays. Companies hire and fire like changing underwear - everything is all justified by "business decisions".

Good bosses come and go. If one has the talent, don't like company A can always go to company B.

However, in the poll - it is against a background of minimal pay differences. A couple of hundreds difference nowadays is nothing. Rather it's the long term impact on one's marketability that is the concern.

One should never take for granted once a person reach 40's means must die die find a compnay to work till retirement. Such concepts are outdated already. Even at the age of 50+, if one has the right stuff, he / she can still get headhunted for better positions. There's just no more lifelong employment, one always have to stay relevant and competitive.

then the person in question have to assess it themselves coz asking in here with a few lines without any background info will only get you 10 years series answer..

a small company can be a good platform if there's good strategy that move out to the market while a big company will have its long established culture which can add great value for future move..

if you ask tis sort of question..likelihood is you are not even at a managerial position.. tsk tsk tsk

ouch.. that hurts

then the person in question have to assess it themselves coz asking in here with a few lines without any background info will only get you 10 years series answer..

a small company can be a good platform if there's good strategy that move out to the market while a big company will have its long established culture which can add great value for future move..

The question is asked only because it's a very interesting topic for discussion, and details are left out for privacy reasons. Further, leaving out details allows scope for more discussion.

Both types of companies does have it's pros and cons, but like somebody said, if a person is good, it really doesn't matter where he / she chose. It's all in the personality and drive to succeed. At least in theory.

But the dynamics of it all is rather complex. We all like to assume, the cream will always rise to the top. We all like to assume he / she with the abilities and the drive, and the determination, PLUS a bit of luck will only move up. WRONG!

Truly capable person can get pushed to the bottom, and / or out of job because there will always be people who feel threatened by that person's abilities and dynamism.

Those who survive and succeed? Are the politically savvy ones who knows who to package and market themselves. These are people who fly low at the right time, and stand tall at the right time. Real abilities count for nothing if one isn't visible when opportunities arise, but visible when there's trouble.

Turbocharged

The question is asked only because it's a very interesting topic for discussion, and details are left out for privacy reasons. Further, leaving out details allows scope for more discussion.

what privacy reasons? u already said it is not about u. whose privacy are you talking about? Give the name of the MNC lah, then we see whether the name is good or not....

definately the small company for me. the big draw is that there is many things to learn, you are actually earning in terms of your personal value. also, nice boss is a plus. just because the other proposition is a big company doesnt necessary mean job satisfaction although it does sound prestigious.

if TS dont want the small company job, may I send in my resume ?

Turbocharged

I would go for big company after more than 10 yrs in SMEs. These SMEs can provide better freedom, package; but no job security. Most of the time all decision by the senior management only favors the top people. If you are on the middle management or even a 'puppet', chances are once your expertise is redundant, u will be gone. For big companies like MNCs, there is no guarantee that about job security, but the employee welfare seems alot better than SMEs. Imagine you get retrenched from a SME after working for 10yrs and get nothing at the end of the day [furious]

what privacy reasons? u already said it is not about u. whose privacy are you talking about? Give the name of the MNC lah, then we see whether the name is good or not....

Yes, really need to avoid revealing more, hope you understand. It's not material to mention the name apart from the fact that a brand name MNC is good for the resume.

definately the small company for me. the big draw is that there is many things to learn, you are actually earning in terms of your personal value. also, nice boss is a plus. just because the other proposition is a big company doesnt necessary mean job satisfaction although it does sound prestigious.

if TS dont want the small company job, may I send in my resume ?

Small company has it's advantages also. The people there are more sincere, more humble. The environment is also simpler with less politicking - at least I'm assuming because there's far less dept to dept issues.

Also we have to consider the nature of the job. In the small comapny, the job may be a very senior position with very crucial responsibilities, and very good professional exposure. In the big MNC, the job may be very restrictive, because it covers only one small area.

I think both big and small have it pros and cons. End of the day is whether the boss is good, good benefit and job is relax or not.

I can be consider a serial job-hopper to the extend interviewers will look at my CV and I have to convince them I am forced to job hop by circumstance.

For me, my take is to find out the company culture be it a small SME or big MNC. The pay increment can be there but if you divide the pay/no. of acutal hour you work worth it? I prefer to measure these as well. To me, title and job scope is nothing, I can have fanciful title and doing no value work or small title but doing critical work. After working for SME, GLC, big MNC, small MNC, I will go for the pay if other thing being equal, since today loyalty is worth next to zero in today world, in fact I see it as more of a risk since I cost more for my employers.

No one is irreplaceable even the CEO is replaceable as well.

Turbocharged

to me the 3 reasons I choose a job other than pay is who u work with, what u do, and job security.

I want to work with smart pleasant people. Pleasant hard to judge but smart or not can usually tell in interview.

What u do, I want to do things I am good at. If I am good at what I do, the pay will come naturally.

Job security. some jobs inherently are less secure, like customer support. no matter how good u are, there is a chance u will be made redudent if the company loses that customer and there is not other customer in the same geographical location.....

↡ Advertisement