Fake Degree School Boss run road

Mustank

To be a case trust member, government should ask these company to place a guarantee of at least 500K to 1M. It may sound absurd. But that the ways to gain the trust of consumers.

Just like those who want to operate 4D outlet.

Bro, like that operators of small time education biz certified by CASETRUST like myself will have to eat grass liao leh...

Before the flames start pouring in, no I do not offer diploma or degree programmes.

Such problems exist only because of the incompetence of highly-paid individuals in the MOE (read, scholars). I can tell you it is very easy to get an unaccredited programme registered because of the system.

First the school has a submit a VERY BRIEF write-up on the course to be submitted to the MOE (where they fail to properly check the credentials and validity of the course and college that awards the certification). It is more or less a certainty that it will be approved.

Next, the school will submit the approval from the MOE to CASE where they regard the MOE certification like a bible and the process is complete!

↡ Advertisement

The owner Benny Tay sure can run fast...don't forget that he drive a ferrari....

if each student pay 15k fee....total 800 students...that wld be 12 million dollars in the pocket for printing degrees that look really good.

but someone is spot on..if Spore really want to be an Educational Hub, these nonsense must be stop....hunt down this Benny Tay and "sha yi jin bai"....

Regulators and laws must be passed to better improve the control of licenses and spot checking.

(edited)

i thk its Benny Yap.

Agreed that this shld not occur again

Edited by Toyo

(edited)

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Education/Stor...717-155267.html

[sweatdrop] if his students find him, i hope the students will not chong tong [sweatdrop]

Why so many schools succeed in scamming students is simply because they know MOE and CASE are not vigilant enough in monitoring them.

Private school is good business because it's one of the few businesses that actually collects money first before doing anything.

Edited by Darth_mel

Drive Ferrari somemore.

Interesting that this is a car forum yet no one has brought up his history with Singapore Motor Sports Association....

http://www.smsa.org.sg/results/08-2_MPT%20...l%20Results.pdf

http://www.smsa.org.sg/results/07-2_MPT%20...325_Results.pdf

http://www.mptmotor.com/pdf/ENOC_Results4.pdf

http://www.mptmotor.com/pdf/Sprint_result_rd_3.pdf

He also teach people how to drive car wor!

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/messag...S&msg=856.2

Indeed. Being in the education industry for the last 15 years and still in it, the flaw hasnt changed. It lies with MOE. Getting registered with MOE is as easy as ABC. It is just like registering a company with ROC.

Alas, nothing has been done in the last ten years.

Bro, like that operators of small time education biz certified by CASETRUST like myself will have to eat grass liao leh...

Before the flames start pouring in, no I do not offer diploma or degree programmes.

Such problems exist only because of the incompetence of highly-paid individuals in the MOE (read, scholars). I can tell you it is very easy to get an unaccredited programme registered because of the system.

First the school has a submit a VERY BRIEF write-up on the course to be submitted to the MOE (where they fail to properly check the credentials and validity of the course and college that awards the certification). It is more or less a certainty that it will be approved.

Next, the school will submit the approval from the MOE to CASE where they regard the MOE certification like a bible and the process is complete!

No where in the article implies that he is on the run from the law. Just because a few reporters cannot find him doesn't mean anything. How did these reporters do an address check anyway?

You seem to know Benny Yap.

Anyway, he has been arrested and is out on bail:

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNew...ory_404831.html

July 18, 2009

School owner on bail

Benny Yap arrested last month, helping police investigations

By By Amelia Tan & Goh Yi Han

THE man behind the two schools which have been offering fake degrees has been in the country all this while. Mr Benny Yap Chee was arrested by the police last month, said a police spokesman on Friday. He had been out on bail and helping investigations into the matter.

It also means he would have posted surety and undertaken to report to a police station whenever he is told to do so.

But because his former staff and students could not contact him and his flat in Sengkang appeared to be unoccupied, it looked like he had skipped town.

He was called in on June 25, a week after The Straits Times reported that his private school was handing out bogus qualifications from brand-name institutions in Australia and Britain, including the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT). He reported to the police again two weeks later.

His two schools - Brookes Business School and Stamford Global Learning Centre - were ordered shut by the Ministry of Education this week. About 440 students of the two institutions have been left in the lurch, although steps are being taken to transfer them to other schools or to get them refunds.

In a telephone interview with The Straits Times on Friday, Mr Yap, 39, said he had tried his best to respond to text messages from his students but had been busy assisting in the investigations. 'I am a victim too. I just want to make it clear: I am not missing,' he said.

Asked how he was helping his former students, he would only say that he and his staff members were trying to get them places in other schools here. He would neither name these schools nor say whether he was going to give refunds.

He was also tight-lipped on why his neighbours in Sengkang had told The Straits Times that his flat was unoccupied. He would only confirm that he owned the flat, but declined to say more on this 'private matter'.

He refused to be pinned down to a time-frame for when he hoped to resolve the matter, and would only say that he could not comment as investigations were ongoing.

Meanwhile, about 60 former Brookes students are banding together to seek legal advice on getting refunds from Mr Yap. Declining to be named, they said they had engaged lawyers and were looking into suing Mr Yap as a group.

Read the full story in Saturday's edition of The Straits Times

[email protected]

[email protected]

Supercharged

kns...

I pray he lose his manhood, I hope he gets disfigured, I hpe he become permantly disabled.

all this for cheating ppl's hard-earned monies

Venerable Shi Ming Yi () was born in 1962 is currently the Abbot of Foo Hai Ch'an Monastery and Secretary General of the Singapore Buddhist Federation. He was ordained as a monk when he was 2 2 years old and has since been active in social welfare activities.

In September 1994, Foo Hai Ch'an Monastery , under the leadership of Venerable Shi, established the 175-bedded Ren Ci Hospital for the poor and needy chronic patients. Since then, Venerable Shi is also the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the hospital.

In 1996, the Singapore government awarded the Public Service Medal to Venerable Shi in recognition of his contributions to the country. In September 1998, the hospital established its affiliate, Ren Ci Day Care Centre for the Elderly. Venerable Shi is also its chairman. On 1 June 1999, the hospital expanded operations by taking over a 300-bed facility of the former Tan Tock Seng Hospital for the chronic sick and nursing home patients in Singapore. The hospital was renamed as Ren Ci Hospital &Medicare Centre.

Two months later in August , Venerable Shi received his Masters in Healthcare Management from the University of Wales . He took up the course so that he could manage the hospital better. In the year 2000, a 200-bedded community hospital in the former Tan Tock Seng Hospital premises is expected to be in operation.

The Venerable is also active in Buddhist circles overseas. In November 1998, he took over the abbotship of the Kun Chung Temple in Hong Kong as well as the vice-chairmanship of the affiliated Heung Hoi Ching Kok Lin Association. In September 1999, he also took over the abbotship of the Kwan Inn Temple in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.

Venerable Shi Ming Yi is also holding the following positions concurrently:

# Chairman, Singapore Buddhist Federation Youth Organisation

# President , Foo Hai Ch'an Buddhist Cultural and Welfare Association

# Chairman, Yuhua Benevolence Society and Wan Qing Lodge Day Care Centre for the Elderly

# Chairman, Marine Parade-Foo Hai Elderly Lodge

# Chairman, Aspiration Student Care Centre

# Chairman, Aspiration Childcare Centre

# Vice President, Man Fut Tong Old People's Home

# Board Member, Singapore Anti-Narcotics Association

# Spiritual Advisor for National University of Singapore Buddhist Society

Note: The Venerable has PhD in Philosophy from Mannin University (UK)

Mannin University is in Dublin not UK

Turbocharged

A PhD program can be quite expensive. How much did he pay for the course fee in total?

Did he pay the fee through his own pocket or was it by public funding?

Turbocharged
(edited)

He claimed he was not aware that Mannin University was bogus.

The content of PhD work can be very extensive. Is he able to produce proofs of research work he has conducted prior to the award of the degree? He should also have written a thesis and attended an oral defence. Were these carried out prior to the conferrment of the title?

Edited by Albeniz

Oh my goodness :blink: I actually got to know this chap back in 2004/2005 period.

He was bonking my girlfriend's friend who was a flight stewardess in SQ. He was driving a white modded Integra DC5. Quite yaya attitude from him.

He told me that he was a race driver for McWell and his car mods were fully sponsored. I ask him what was he doing for a living and he kinda muttered....something to do with education <_<

Now I know, after reading the news. No wonder he can afford to indulge in expensive motorsports like no body's business, it is from deceitful means..... [shakehead]

Some more came to my house a few times with girlfriend...... tried to also talk me into putting money into his 'new' business, CCB fxxking conman [furious] Lucky never fall for it. He's not even a PhD holder, how to trust him to run a proper outfit?

Do you really need to scam or con in Singapore to live well?

What ever happened to hardwork and honesty????? [confused]

I bet he turned himself in because he is aware at most a fine would be slapped on him, and regardless of amount it shall be paid from the kind donations of the students. When student retaliate back, he will say "Not that I want to discontinue and deny your continued education, but the good authorities have forcefully shut down my operations.... hence you all should direct your anger at the respective authorities involved....". Classic excuse [shakehead]

Neutral Newbie

the students also stupid not to do some research prior to signing up the classes.

i guessed that becos they wholeheartedly trust Singapore reputation as a first class education hub in SEA. so they think that all schools in sg are credible. somemore the sch is accredited by MOE. very diff to tell whether it's a scam or not.. even locals are being duped, like policemen and nurses,etc

education scums like him will ruin the good reputation the gov is trying hard to establish. so must really set a good example out of him.

↡ Advertisement