Bike Rack

Kusje

Supersonic

Does anyone know where I can procure a bike rack(not roof) for my Lancer EX? Is the rack easily detachable and does anyone know the approx price of such a rack?

Also, how safe is it to park the car with a bike attached? Have there been cases of bikes or bike parts being stolen?

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Hi there,

U can get bike rack mainly from our local bicycle shops (LBS), the are brands like Sari Bones 2 (for 2 bikes)or Sari Bones 3(SB3) and other brands. It is pretty easy to mount and dismantle. Price wise would be somewhere $300 for SB3, but pls check yourself.

How safe? It is safe to leave the rack on while a car is parked. However, my advice is not to leave yr bike on the rack, especially if the bikes is ex type.

Cheers

I used a Saris...Can carry two bikes....Brought it for around SGD200...I always remove the rack and keep in the car when not using....It is not that fast to dismantle it under your nose and steal it away....but if you park in ulu places and go cycling....i believe possibility of it being stolen is quite high...you won't want to be in a situation when you lost money because the rack is gone and the problem of getting the bicycle back home....

For bike...I will never leave it on the rack unattended...unless you are using those SGD50 ones...then probably you may considered those SGD40 kind of rack....then even got stolen....heart not pain....

Just my two cents worth....

(edited)

I have a Saris Bones 3 boot mounted rack and a set of Thule roof rack.

Safe to leave your bikes on a boot rack? NO. Takes maybe 20 secs to dismount your bike and ride away with it.

Much safer on a roof rack as you can actually lock your bikes there.

A boot rack, regardless of brand, works on the same securing principles. I have owned 3 different ones before. Is it easy to install and detach? Yes it is. But it takes some time even when you are very familiar with it.

I'd say 6-8 minutes is a good estimate if you just mount roughly with disregard to your car's paint. If you want to mount it carefully and place protectors on the contact points and all that to protect your car's paint, allow up to 15 minutes to install. Taking it off is faster.

Edited by Chickenbackside

(edited)

I also use a Saris Bones 3. First time took me bloody 30 mins to mount it. Now 6 - 8 minutes is about right. Very stable.

chickenbackside - wot protectors do u use at the contact points? i already got some black smudges on my white car. can't come out... [smallcry]

Edited by Longhorn

Neutral Newbie

makesure the foot pads are free from any debris as that could scratch the surface of the paint .. some time during mounting, we will place the rack on the floor and the foot pads wl be sitting on the floor ... so make sure u clear the foot pads before mounting onto the boot .. if not ... :<.... becos it happen to me ..

(edited)

I also use a Saris Bones 3. First time took me bloody 30 mins to mount it. Now 6 - 8 minutes is about right. Very stable.

chickenbackside - wot protectors do u use at the contact points? i already got some black smudges on my white car. can't come out... [smallcry]

Everytime before I mount the rack, I will paste masking tape on the contact points on the car (not on the rack). I am quite generous with the size of the contact patch. Using the widest masking tape I can find, I place 2 pieces adjacent to each other forming a big square.

I have tried those rubber mats with holes in them, you know, the ones that you put on dashboards to place yur sunglasses on? But they shift around causing stains on the paint work.

So far, I find masking tape to work the best.

Edited by Chickenbackside

Neutral Newbie

Hi, I am driving a lancer with spoiler, can the car rack still be mounted? Will the spoiler be obstructing the car rack?

got a SARIS3bone quiet stable for 2 bike but when hangin 3 bike ittle bit shaky .... bought for ard $250 ..... for roof rack mayby more stable but remember to take ur bike b4 entrerin MSCP

Supercharged

For bike...I will never leave it on the rack unattended...unless you are using those SGD50 ones...then probably you may considered those SGD40 kind of rack....then even got stolen....heart not pain....

Seaweed, got bike rack only cost SGD40 meh? Where to get leh?

yes...go to your neighbourhood bicycle shop...not those branded neighbourhood shop har..the normal type...they will have it...but probably inflation so high...it may cost SGD 50 to 60 now...

Supercharged

I saw in Giant Tampines a bike rack sellng for $138, brand is Aleoca. Can carry 3 bikes, I think. Is it worth to buy?

I saw in Giant Tampines a bike rack sellng for $138, brand is Aleoca. Can carry 3 bikes, I think. Is it worth to buy?

u may want to find out the max weight of the bike that it can carry....

like Saris 3, it's about 16kg/bike... some bikes are heavy and may not withstand the weight

↡ Advertisement