Should we have fire extinguisher in car?

Picanto

[thumbsdown] wit high temperature here, maybe more xplosions/fire cud take place [furious]

most extinguishers for non chemical fires are pressurised carbon dioxide or dry power variety. not a problem for storing in high temperature environments of the car boot or cabin.

[thumbsdown] wit high temperature here, maybe more xplosions/fire cud take place [furious]

but its still better to keep one in the car.

No need lah...but recently heard reports of cars catching fire due to their Chingay/Neon lights short-circuiting and causing an electrical fire. So if you have decked out your car like you wanna take part in Chingay 2010, then you'd better have one on stand-by!! If not, no need lah!

I do have a 1litre powder on my car. I paid $30 for it.

isn't that like, BIG and heavy???

i bought a small one, fits nicely into a drink holder at silent for $13 or smt. Its a habit since SAF times. next item would be tire inflation canisters. still scouting around. too lazy to go changi v to buy the $7.50 one. mayb on sat.

when there's a fire under your bonnet. quickly stop by the side of the road and get out of your car. get as far away as you can.

DO NOT attempt to open the bonnet.

this will only cause the fire to get bigger due to added oxygen supply. also an explosion may follow and you don't want to be anywhere too close. unless you have a remote discharge system like in race cars...

average size compact/car fire extinguishers are about 1kg. it can only put out small fires. your first priority when you notice a fire is to get your passengers out to safety. only then you can try to spray the extinguisher thru the radiator grille. dry-chem fire extinguishers will destroy your radiator. so get a halon one instead.

do you have one? where to buy? roughly what price?

Homefix also selling....i think about $20 odd....thought of getting, but can't think of a good place to install in the cabin....pointless if you keep in the boot.

Homefix also selling....i think about $20 odd....thought of getting, but can't think of a good place to install in the cabin....pointless if you keep in the boot.

its got to be kept in an upright position.

when there's a fire under your bonnet. quickly stop by the side of the road and get out of your car. get as far away as you can.

this will only cause the fire to get bigger due to added oxygen supply. also an explosion may follow and you don't want to be anywhere too close. unless you have a remote discharge system like in race cars...

average size compact/car fire extinguishers are about 1kg. it can only put out small fires. your first priority when you notice a fire is to get your passengers out to safety. only then you can try to spray the extinguisher thru the radiator grille. dry-chem fire extinguishers will destroy your radiator. so get a halon one instead.

I learnt something new today. Thanks for the sharing. [thumbsup]

true...passengers safety should take priority [thumbsup] anyway i guess if there is a fire anywhere in the car, chances are it is going to be a write-off case anyway not worth risking extinguishing a burning car filled with petrol with a tiny 1kg extinguisher [dizzy] . i think a seat belt cutter and car window hammer would be a more worthwhile investment.

bro, i hope you not speaking from experience!

I have a small one in the cabin within easy reach as a precautionary measure. Bought it from Autobacs at SGD11.40 or thereabouts.

Like what Silver_blade has mentioned, the extinguisher is more likely to be used to aid escaping from a flaming vehicle.