McDonald's in 1979

Nutsack

Hey everyone. McDonald's opened in Singapore in 1979. How much did their stuff cost then in 1979's SGD?

How much did a cheese burger cost? How much did a pack of fries cost? Just curious. I was too young to remember. Perhaps some wise sages can enlighten me.

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Hey everyone. McDonald's opened in Singapore in 1979. How much did their stuff cost then in 1979's SGD?

How much did a cheese burger cost? How much did a pack of fries cost? Just curious. I was too young to remember. Perhaps some wise sages can enlighten me.

Thanks!

i'm keen to know too, when i was a kid in the 80s the set meals must have cost $3-4 then only

Would love to have a bigger resolution pic of the first McD's la... McD's own website only has a tiny photo:

companyinfo_history_img.gif

Anyone with pictures AND prices? hehe. topic came up between my wife and i and we're keen to know. Our parents can't rem. They weren't and still aren't big fans of fast food.

Turbocharged

The first MacDonald I visited was the one at Pearl Center, Chinatown.

I believe it was in the year 1979 or very early 80s.

Turbocharged

Anyone with pictures AND prices? hehe. topic came up between my wife and i and we're keen to know. Our parents can't rem. They weren't and still aren't big fans of fast food.

Handphone cameras were non-existent then, otherwise I am sure we could have a lot of pictures of the earlier MacDonald's.

Turbocharged

During that time, the hamburger was about 90cents and the cheese burger was S$1.10-S$1.30.

yes, u r right! after that, they phase out hamburger and follow by the cheese burger cos i always order 2 cheese burgers cos one is not enough to fill my tummy. [:p]

1st Mcdonalds was in Liat Towers, IIRC, before Burger King took over the lease.

At the time, Hamburgers were 80 cents and Cheeseburger was $1.00 or $1.10.

About $3-$4 can get a meal. Mty fav meal was Hamburger and Choc Shake...

Neutral Newbie

how come now i see some Mac they only display the menu of value meals but not the ala carte items?wanto buy ala carte also not sure the pricing.

Hypersonic

Is Hamburger still on the menu? Remeber last time, this is the burger I could afford with my pocket money..

Supercharged
(edited)

It wasn't very cheap when it first opened. At least not by local standards

The early McD days in Singapore was a struggle. Most are new to the fast food concept and the price is expensive to most back then.

The price of a hamburger back then was like $1.10 or $1.20. The big Mac was like $3-$4. This is expensive when a plate of chicken rice can be had for $1.20-$1.50 back then. For $2.00, you can get a very filling meal in the hawker centres.

Then few years after, McD made a big slash in their prices. I still remember their TV ads looked like a news broadcast announcing the slash in prices. It was quite a big slash....some items were slashed like 50%.

It was this slash that propel McD to popularity in Singapore till today. Suddenly the expensive burgers are priced far more affordable and people started to eat burgers. Of course, the new Y generation helps to boost its sales further.

Today, a $1.95 cheeesburger burger look cheap because most items are like $3.00 in the foodcourt. McD was smart in that it allows its economy of scale to slow down the inflation of its burgers. And hence its success.

Edited by Starry

i believe that was in part due to the appreciation of the sing dollar thru the years as Mc D food is all imported and prolly priced in USD. (for stuff like the patties)

Supercharged

i believe that was in part due to the appreciation of the sing dollar thru the years as Mc D food is all imported and prolly priced in USD. (for stuff like the patties)

Not exactly. Many many years ago, SGD was like 1.4 against USD. Then it drop and linger around 1.6-1.7 for quite a long time before coming back to sub 1.5 today.

Despite the currency fluctuation, McD prices have remain quite slow with inflation.

hhmmm, i recall

small Fries $1

hamburger $1.10

Cheeseburger was $1.30

Maybe it's just me but nowadays i find the filet a joke.

3 mouthfuls and it's gone.

did it grow smaller?