How is working culture at ICA?

Peqasus

hi guys,

jus wanna find out how's the working culture at ICA. got a job offer. haiz at a slave driving company now that i realize colleagues dying to get out.

↡ Advertisement

from what i hear talking to the old timers there, they don't like it either. which area are you joining? not the stamp passport one right?

hi guys,

jus wanna find out how's the working culture at ICA. got a job offer. haiz at a slave driving company now that i realize colleagues dying to get out.

Is it on contract before converting to permanent? How long is the contract? care to share with us? R u uniformed or non-uniformed?

just work n endure first, afterall outside labour market still quite tough....

those who tahan and stay on.. the benefits are good... esp medical and other benefits... money cannot buy outside.

Then again, the CEO position at Temasek is also available at this time.

hi guys,

ICA so big and so many functions. exactly which department/scope will you be in?

ICA building is open everyday except sunday. you can go check it out yourself if no further details given

Hey bros, thx for the advice. Paiseh din give more details.

it's a senior tech exec. appt at Lavender. Not the one at tuas. Non uniformed 1 yr contract staff.

Well, do you have at a job at the moment?

yup have a job now but seriously hvg been retrenched in Feb b4, i do think being happy is more critical. $ can never finish earning but u can always control the way u spend. Going fwd, with this climate, everywhere is tuff so putting up with nonsense is pretty logical. however, not to the extent the bosses think u hv to be as no life as them la. slave master dominatrix style sia.

Twincharged
(edited)

it's a senior tech exec. appt at Lavender. Not the one at tuas. Non uniformed 1 yr contract staff.

i wud consider this the most important variable, esp when its civil service work. no "kum-cheng" when time is up.

have you considered what wud happen one year later if your contract is not renewed ?

i am doing a 12hr shift job x 5.5 days at the moment - you think i like it ?? but what to to ? go a flat installment, a car installment, monthly bills to pay .....

Edited by Ysc3

when my company retrenched also not kum cheng also. I've never trusted bosses since i started working.

i am looking at a role that can allow me to stabilize my income while i lay the ground for other sources. My naive assumption is a innocent 830 to 6 pm job that will leave me time for my own usage.

Neutral Newbie

i wud consider this the most important variable, esp when its civil service work. no "kum-cheng" when time is up.

have you considered what wud happen one year later if your contract is not renewed ?

i am doing a 12hr shift job x 5.5 days at the moment - you think i like it ?? but what to to ? go a flat installment, a car installment, monthly bills to pay .....

I dont see the 1 year contract as the most important variable really. I see it as an opportunity to gain some experience and either move on before end of 1 year or find more internal work if there is any chance and you are keen to stay on.

2 years ago I have personally taken up 3 months contractual work without 2nd thoughts as my previous employer was closing down and no time to be choosy. Guess what I am now a happy perm staff employee but its not civil sector tho.

i do know ICA is like a ghost building after 530/6pm, u dun get to see public there... i dun know the staff there knock off on time...if u prefer rigid management style with protocols here n there, a "yes" man then maybe go for it....

IT support?

the singapore government is not a bad employer.... once ur contract is over and convert to permanent, it is almost as good as an iron rice bowl unless there are some huge exercise like outsourcing which can happen. Even if that happen, it will take quite a while to execute and u will be fairly compensated.... unlike private co. where the treatment can be fairly arbitary

beside, the fringe benefits it offer are unmatchable except those big MNC, leaves, bonuses, offs, gift vouchers etc all add in. Most importantly, is the pro-family approaches which can be non-existent in some companies, esp SME.

overall, if money is not the solely career objective... civil service is not a bad choice...

Turbocharged

hi guys,

Bro, you also need to give your background. Like some guys here have said: if u have installments to pay and family to support, then think carefully and weigh your options. But if you're free and easy, swinging single, just go out and try anything u want.

1 yr contract is ok lah... high chance of converting to permanent if it's the civil service. ICA is probably expanding rather than downsizing, given the recent flap about how 'porous' our borders were, and the need to remain even more vigilant.

Furthermore, why worry about working culture? It's only 1 year... if u don't like it, can leave at the end of the contract without any 'face' lost and with reputation intact (i.e. you didn't resign, but you just let the contract lapse - it looks better on your record for future employers).

the singapore government is not a bad employer.... once ur contract is over and convert to permanent, it is almost as good as an iron rice bowl unless there are some huge exercise like outsourcing which can happen. Even if that happen, it will take quite a while to execute and u will be fairly compensated.... unlike private co. where the treatment can be fairly arbitary

beside, the fringe benefits it offer are unmatchable except those big MNC, leaves, bonuses, offs, gift vouchers etc all add in. Most importantly, is the pro-family approaches which can be non-existent in some companies, esp SME.

overall, if money is not the solely career objective... civil service is not a bad choice...

well said [thumbsup] private sector can be really nasty when they retrenchment you having

gone through the experience twice in the last 6 years.

No sentiment and loyalty count to nothing and at times try to squeeze you to the last drop

But then it is also a time where you know which of your colleague is your friends and who is not....

↡ Advertisement