How many interviews to go b4 getting the job

Chaihot5

Neutral Newbie

Hi

I have a question.

How many interviews do you have to go through b4 getting the job. I'm speaking in general terms.

I'm applying for an Engineer job, and i've gone through the 1st interview. I'm going for a 2nd interview this week.

Normally what questions will they ask on the 2nd interview.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

↡ Advertisement

Hi

I have a question.

How many interviews do you have to go through b4 getting the job. I'm speaking in general terms.

I'm applying for an Engineer job, and i've gone through the 1st interview. I'm going for a 2nd interview this week.

Cheers

depends on seniority....1st level is generic by HR...2nd may be with the dept mgr, and 3rd level would be more or less the confirmatory interview where HR, directors and the dept mgr will sit in,....3rd interview normally can say you got it lah...

but some may only conduct 2 where 2nd would be the confirmatory one...

all the best, dude [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Hi

I have a question.

Cheers

Depending on the company.

Typical 3 interviews:

1) With the manager that you'll be reporting to.

2) Probably with the HOD.

3) Finally with HR (Discuss pay and what not).

Good luck. [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys.

My first interview was with this Senior Engineer already not HR...

So i guess my second will be with a group of Engineers and stuff...

Really hope that the 2nd one will be the ONE... cos the anticipation is too great to handle...

Normally what sort of questions will they ask?

Thanks

Cheers

ya by right this is the norm. But I have also heard of ppl going to 1 interview (big company also) where all the stakeholders are in (VP, director, HR) and they do 1 shot and it's either you make or break.

Subsequently, no more interviews/meetings. Just telephone/email discussion on the package.

But sometimes, applying for a small role, end up going for 3 interviews instead! hahaa....I guess these are highly variable.

Most of the times during 2nd interview, the HR (if there is) and the HOD will negotiate with u on the pay package etc.

I have went 3 times interview before but never get the job.

1) Director

2) Director

3) Immediate manager

In my opinion, since u went for the first interview with a senior engineer, I guess the technical bits are sorted. The 2nd interview most likely will be on non technical things. ie maybe for the management to see if u can fit in, or maybe the HR will ask whats your package expectation....

ya by right this is the norm. But I have also heard of ppl going to 1 interview (big company also) where all the stakeholders are in (VP, director, HR) and they do 1 shot and it's either you make or break.

Subsequently, no more interviews/meetings. Just telephone/email discussion on the package.

But sometimes, applying for a small role, end up going for 3 interviews instead! hahaa....I guess these are highly variable.

haha...yup....of late, there have been tel interviews as well, but this is only for oversea applicants...

My 1st interview was with the manager I am reporting to, followed by HR in the 2nd interview.

Going through this path, u are most likely to get the job because you have been cleared by the manager.

Neutral Newbie

Hi

I have a question.

Cheers

to me, unless yr job is very high paid or in the mgt level, why bothered to go for so many interview? waste yr time & annual leave (if you still working). can't they arrange all interviewer to sit in 1 panel for interview? i found it waste of resources. unless they want to be appear 'very busy'.

for me, i always make them all (related dept heads, HRs & at least a senior mgr) to sit with me for any interview recruitment so we can ask & see the shortlisted in 1 go. no waste time & followup meetings. of cos i only see those shortlised submit by HR. if not what are they for?

My 1st private company job,

1) Interview with HR and Dept Supervisor

2) Interview with Dept Director

3) Interview with Company Director

4) Interview with HR again

Got the job but I rejected them. :D They were shocked. :D

Later on, went to big GLC shipyard for interview, after 1st interview got the job.

Resigned from shipyard after a yr, went to another private company. After 1st interview, Dept Director called me and we negotiate salary over the phone b4 decided to join them. :D Stayed with them up till now, five yrs on the job liao. :D

B4 the above, I joined the Navy right after last paper of Poly exam. Also need to go thru two interview. Blardy hell, on the 2nd interview the officer ask me got VCD movie to lend it to him to watch. [dead]

Machiam kena interviewed by the panel [sweatdrop] . Usually I think such situations will occur when there is an urgency to get the placed filled.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys.

My first interview was with this Senior Engineer already not HR...

So i guess my second will be with a group of Engineers and stuff...

Really hope that the 2nd one will be the ONE... cos the anticipation is too great to handle...

Normally what sort of questions will they ask?

Thanks

Cheers

Is the company in AMK?? [sly]

In any case, like what another bro replied, chances are the 2nd one will be either the HR or HOD.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the positive replies guys.

Can't disclose my job application at the moment.

It's been a long time since my last interview, so abit nerv-racking...

Cheers

to me, unless yr job is very high paid or in the mgt level, why bothered to go for so many interview? waste yr time & annual leave (if you still working). can't they arrange all interviewer to sit in 1 panel for interview? i found it waste of resources. unless they want to be appear 'very busy'.

for me, i always make them all (related dept heads, HRs & at least a senior mgr) to sit with me for any interview recruitment so we can ask & see the shortlisted in 1 go. no waste time & followup meetings. of cos i only see those shortlised submit by HR. if not what are they for?

The choice is not deteminable by interviewee.

I guess every company differs. I just share the toughest I ever been through so far.

First interview was with a panel of 5 HOD and subject matter experts. And was grilled for more than an hour in rapid fire. I had never encountered such a tough situation before and was almost completely shell shocked after that. I also thought cannot make it because there were too many questions and way too many curve balls thrown at me that I just don't have answers to.

Somehow they liked me enough for a 2nd interview despite my less than stella performance, this time with 2 HOD's over the phone - as they are stationed overseas. This round even more technical and tougher, as I had a hard time figuring out what they were trying to ask due to accent differences, sound distortion. And again by the Grace of God I passed this round too.

The 3rd round was with the regional boss, and it turned out the be the most enjoyable and informal affair. I think his agenda was merely to get a feel of personality and motive for joining the company, to figure out whether I am a good enough fit for the organization.

↡ Advertisement