Brakepads - When to change?

Shull

Should be the other way round. The front brakes will contribute more to the braking then the rear. There should be much more brake dust generated in the front brakes then the rear.

Rear wheel drive brake bias @ back right ?

Rx8 rear rotor bigger then front leh.

↡ Advertisement

Ferrodo brake pad here kenna condemn by Australia forums ppl like mad. It's pretty cheap though but no one want to buy it, i did some research first before decided on RDA for my SUV. The premium pads here are mainly EBC, RDA and Bendix.

Bro, any comments on Hawk pads?

nope, just my personal experience so far on my rides.

brake discs on the other hand should last 100k kms easily.

No lah,

brake pads can tahan more than 40k km la, unless like one bro said, you go up and down Genting everyday huh?

brake disc no need to change one, it is the circular plate sandwiched by the calipers and brake pads.

Sorry for the dumb question. How are the two related?

Tighten handbrakes will reduce the clearance between pad and disc. This gap will widen after wear and tear of pad.

You don't need to drive fast to benefit from better brake pads.

The better grip and stopping will come in very useful when some idiot decides to do e-brake infront of you or you need to stop suddenly to prevent hitting something.

Many people only like to refer to brake fade under high temp conditions when racing/tracking but fail to highlight the better grip under normal driving. At leiast that is what I experienced by using better pads (which also happens to be higher temp rated)

But be warned that your discs get worn out pretty fast.

Edited by Dwoon

I have no idea how to do visual checks too.

Mechanic always point out to me....NEHHHH STILL KAO KAO ONE!. But i always duno what im looking at.....haha. [laugh]

My stupid hand brake engage liao but car can still move off in "D". Still havent resolve it yet.

U guys know which workshop can adjust this ? [sweatdrop]

did u pull ur handbrake fully up? or juz pull one or two ticks? mine oso same problem when i only pull one tick and in "D" still can move... but when i pull a few more ticks, in "D" cant move liao but got suspension sound... haha

You don't need to drive fast to benefit from better brake pads.

The better grip and stopping will come in very useful when some idiot decides to do e-brake infront of you or you need to stop suddenly to prevent hitting something.

There are a lot of them in Singapore. Almost encounter such drivers on a daily basis or should I say every time I am on the road.

when to change brake pads?

Just turn your wheels to one side and have a look at the pads which are in contact with your rotors. You will see how much "meat" is left. Check also how your rotors are wearing out. If very uneven, your brake pads may not be sitting properly.

Most brake pads have a color indictor which gets nearer and nearer the rotors as the pads wear out.

For BMWs, there are sensors which will alert OBC to signal you that pads are significantly worn out and time to change.

Rear wheel drive brake bias @ back right ?

Rx8 rear rotor bigger then front leh.

It is always the front bigger than the back, no matter FWD or RWD. During braking the weight distribution shifts towards the front.

RX-8... front 323mm, rear 302mm