Front sensors for big cars...

Ladykillerz

For some big cars, it is quite hard to do parallel parking, especially to gauge the front of the car.

I am thinking whether to either,

1) Drill four holes to the front kit and install another "rear" sensors with "Beep beep" sound to the front (cheaper).

2) Install front camera and connect to a LCD monitor for viewing and gauging (more costly).

Any other better suggestion??

Thank you...

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

I saw this overseas.

They put a thin metal stick vertically on the front left bumper so that this stick can be seen from the driver's position. Like that, you will know from the position of the stick whether the bumper will hit the obstacle or not.

In my opinion, it is damn ugly but almost every car in that country has it.

imho, if u need front sensors to help u wif parallel parking dan i suggest u go for a "shorter" car... rear sensors can understand cos if u nv open ur door to look at the back, some spots u really cant see.. but front, u dun drive wif ur head turned to the back right??? it's the same as life, no point getting or holding on to someting which u tink u cant make the optimum use out of it...

simple, just turn on headlights. Use the reflection of light off the front obstacle, whether it be a wall, pillar or another car, to gauge distance. Ditto for the back, use reverse light to gauge. No need wad sensor wan lah....except for SUV, Stationwagon or Hatchback...cannot be too close to wall or else cannot open the boot LOL

For some big cars, it is quite hard to do parallel parking, especially to gauge the front of the car.

1) Drill four holes to the front kit and install another "rear" sensors with "Beep beep" sound to the front (cheaper).

2) Install front camera and connect to a LCD monitor for viewing and gauging (more costly).

Thank you...

Mind telling us what car you drive?

simple, just turn on headlights. Use the reflection of light off the front obstacle, whether it be a wall, pillar or another car, to gauge distance. Ditto for the back, use reverse light to gauge. No need wad sensor wan lah....except for SUV, Stationwagon or Hatchback...cannot be too close to wall or else cannot open the boot LOL

actually this is what my friend told me to do so, by using head lights reflection..

but had tried and still give a wide gap on the front...

my car front bonnet is tilted about 45deg-60deg and the front top bonnet is shorter than the front bottom..

so it's quite hard to gauge...

imho, if u need front sensors to help u wif parallel parking dan i suggest u go for a "shorter" car... rear sensors can understand cos if u nv open ur door to look at the back, some spots u really cant see.. but front, u dun drive wif ur head turned to the back right??? it's the same as life, no point getting or holding on to someting which u tink u cant make the optimum use out of it...

My sis-in-law cant even do parallel parking with a GETZ!!!!! [laugh] Even with 4 years real time driving experience. [crazy][dizzy]

Duno why a lot of lady drivers i know have some sort of mental block on parallel parking. I find it beri strange. [confused]

Edited by Hiphiphoray

Neutral Newbie

Thank you...

I installed front sensors years ago when I bought a Sante Fe for the wife. Reason was front visibility wasn't too good for her, and I wanted assistance for her up/down MCPs and during parallel parking.

Technical considerations:

- normal reverse sensors are switched on by the car engaging the reverse gear. Most installers do this by slaving the sensor to the brake light. In order NOT to have the front sensor beeping all the time, you'll need an on/off switch somewhere on the dashboard.

- if you drive North often, make sure your on/off switch is not TOO hidden or you may be suspected of rigging the fuel-tank indicator

- Front bumpers may not be designed for the sensors - e.g. reinforcing struts and other hidden panels may make it difficult. It took my installer twice as long to install the front sensor as they did the rear

- you'll need to run wires from the front, through the firewall, into the passenger compartment.

I was able to find a sensor with an LCD display, showing distance from objects, color etc. Here's an example from a quick Google...not the one we used:

http://www.zmc.com.sg/product.php?catID=5&...20LCD%20Display

As a sidenote, we used the front sensor maybe less than ten times in the 3 years we drove the SUV.... Once my wife got used to the car, it wasn't required any more.

Edited by Terence_oh

Think no need to install such a device lah! Just go as far front as you dare. If you do this, most parking lots should have more than enough room so that your back isn't sticking out too much. Anyway, even if it sticks out a little, no driver is gonna be so kuku as to swipe that small part of your car jutting out.

Well, judging from some of the complaints here about kuku drivers, I could be dead wrong!

I saw this overseas.

They put a thin metal stick vertically on the front left bumper so that this stick can be seen from the driver's position. Like that, you will know from the position of the stick whether the bumper will hit the obstacle or not.

In my opinion, it is damn ugly but almost every car in that country has it.

Ugly but innovative