OPC might no longer need red plates anymore!

Rickster

oh well oh well... *think* [sweatdrop] if most ppl commenting on u or ur statement so far... maybe u wan to seriously think wat went wrong... having to 'fight' w so many ppl in communicating sure tells something... [sleeping]

OK La. No supporter around here. I surrender [angel][wave]

↡ Advertisement

[scholar] watever or so.. if anyone wan to cheat abt anything.. jus let them be la... no point we made any remarks on them... in general.. otherwise..any 'war' will come up again by others...

most impt is: Ownself knows that he/she do not cheat... others wan to cheat.. not my business.. its government business..

tks for understanding bro axela72....

Something like that. I have never bother about OPC car until 1 day I roughly over take by an OPC (without signalling) when cutting lane. After that, I manage to overtake that car and realised that it does not even have coupon display on the dashboard. From that day onwards, whenever I saw, an OPC during peak hr, I will challenge my wife on whether did that car display coupon. So you know the answer who always win?

wow..what a 'life' both of u have.. [shocked].no wonder SG so low birth rates. [lipsrsealed]

Edited by Ryanyusoff

Good day to all again.

I am trying to understand why many of you here seldom saw OPC didn't display coupon during peak hr but I do. I suspect very high possibility is because since you are off peak owner that abide to the rule, how can all of u possible be alway driving during peak hr (min 365 X 2 thru & fro a year) to oberserve the numerous cheater?

Pls dont take this opportunity to swuan me again hor

Becos many OPC car owners here have their OPC as their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th car.

(edited)

I thought I had already explained to you back in my post #270:

"Perhaps that suggests the neighborhood that you are living in ..... where cheats and marginal owners congregate ..... well, you were indeed (almost) an OPC owner too, right?"

[bounce1]

What you had said (which i do not dispute), might be true. But put it can be put in a nicer way lar, lest another war begins.[sweatdrop]

Edited by Rickster

maybe we can really to TS topic n discuss fr there...

i guess all bros/sis got their own share of opinions but sometimes.. along the way.. some might mistook the intention... n words war might start again...

Neutral Newbie

If there are alot of people who choose an OPC becos they do not need to drive to work, it counters your own point of OPC taking up COEs meant for black plate. Even if there were no OPC scheme, they do not need to drive to work even if they have black plates, therefore it does not have an impact on road conditions.

However OPC people like to justify that they are actually helping put less cars on the road during peak hours are delusional.

OPC only benefits the car owners who do not need the car during daytime, it doesnt do squat in anything else.

Yeah..I agree Lammy84

As an owner of an OPC, my view is that traffic congestion happens is not because OPC present or not present but is because of some road accidents which busy bodies tends to view what is goin on or road upgrading in process which resulted the traffic congestions.

If let say some may say OPC caused the increase of vehicle congestion then how about those who rent or car sharing though having a normal plate may also contribute to the traffic jam. [confused]

Neutral Newbie

Do away with the red plate, and you won't have people straining their necks to see if the OPC driver is cheating or not....

Still, the only think I can think of to enforce/ensure minimal cheating with the red plate gone, is to install some kind of electronic monitoring system....and I'm sure many will oppose this...off hand, I can think of the invasion to privacy it may cause....

not to start again... but we might have other forumers who will see fr diff angles...

if normal plate owners wish to 'cease' all red plates on e road jus to prevent heavy traffic jam or cheaters... then opc owners will also say... 'cease' all normal plates n implement all red plates to prevent heavy traffic jams & introduce more better eletronic system to prevent cheaters...

in this manner, isnt it a 'kill 2 birds w 1 stone' method?

of course, not one (normal or opc owners) would wan tis to happen.... i rather keep quiet n drive... dun care whether normal or opc plates... anyone wan to cheat, none of our business...

jus drive happily....

Neutral Newbie

[sweatdrop] Ha, unfortunately, its a case of who is the majority in this case. Is it more cost effective to have changes affecting the minority, or to have massive changes incurring more costs affecting the majority?

tats y in my earlier post... all tis debate we having now...

the main objective is to:

1. bring down the excess jam in sg?

OR

2. to bring down the opc wic is causing the jam as per many said?

if we are looking at point 1, then it does not matter who is minority or majority... jus make sure as lesser cars as possible on the road...

if we looking at point 2, then how many opc are we talking abt that is causing the jam in sg?

point 1 - eliminate as many cars as possible in sg..

point 2 - eliminate opc cars

but ratio of opc car vs normal plates car - wic is more effective...

but back to the main topic of tis thread... if government wan to give more allowances to opc, jus accept it lo... in life, not all decisions is well acceptance by ownself.. sometimes u win, sometimes u lose..

its life.. accept it... drive happily n safety... isnt it more impt..?

Neutral Newbie

[sweatdrop] Your model is too simplistic...it is not a simple matter of how many cars are eliminated...if it is, the gahmen would never have implemented OPC system....if the OPC system is really meant to curb the population of cars on the roads, then it will not be a case where the majority of OPC owners insist that they have more than 1 car and that they buy OPC simply because it suits their needs to have another car during off peak period...

OPC is a way out for the gahmen to try to control the use of cars on the roads during peak hours. Its supposed to appeal to a certain segment, cost wise, that its more affordable to own a car....if you want to use it during peak hours, have to pay for it...

I personally do not think its appealing to own an OPC under this system. They could make the car ownership even cheaper...instead of 17k rebate, bump it up to 20+k....or more. THen when the need comes to use the car during peak hours, push up the cost from 20bucks coupon, to 40 bucks. This way, its cheap to own car, damn siong to use it during peak hours....

agree... probably i use a method that is too simple... some may say too naive...

u mentioned tis above:

'OPC is a way out for the gahmen to try to control the use of cars on the roads during peak hours'

then it seems tat garmen is simple thinking like me as well...

by having 45000 opc (as mentioned by some bros).. does it really control the use of cars on the rd during peak hours til now? i really mean till now.. any improve?

Or control the normal plates population may be a way out for the gahmen to try to control the use of cars on the roads during peak hours'..we haven try tis method (YET).

i dun know wic is the best... but i know garmen is as simple thinking as me.

another mentioned as above:

'I personally do not think its appealing to own an OPC under this system. They could make the car ownership even cheaper...instead of 17k rebate, bump it up to 20+k....or more. THen when the need comes to use the car during peak hours, push up the cost from 20bucks coupon, to 40 bucks. This way, its cheap to own car, damn siong to use it during peak hours....'

ehhh... more simple thinking by me..

- 'bump it up 20k or more for opc... AGREE W U...sure make it less appealing for opc owners to drive during peak hrs or even buy OPC.. '

BUT IF WE ALSO:

- 'bump it up 20k or more for normal plate coe..also sure make it less appealing for normal plate owners to buy car & drive during peak hrs.. or even less cars in sg '

OR

- increase the usage coupon fr 20 to 40 bucks? sure less appealing for 45000 population opc to drive during peak hrs

- WHY dun we also increase the normal plates road tax for 600 to 1200 (example for 1.4L car). sure even less appealing for the few hundred thousand of normal plates in sg..

to be fair, if 45000 opc are jamming the road during peak hrs in sg... then arent the normal plates do? we eliminate the 45000 opc... meaning no jam anymore or even lesser jam? its still the same.. till now as shown every evening

if still the same... y are we still debating here... leave it to the garment to think n think ..... of a better solution.. but not all will happy... but no choice... live w it lo..

Edited by Mindbox33

afterall, the ultimate question now is:

the heavy jam during peak hours..... is causing by who?

the answer is - its all the cars.. status of cars does not matter now...

Neutral Newbie

[sweatdrop] ha. Again, with he implementation of policy to affect non opc cars? Its a fact. Any policy aimed at making changes which affect the majority will be more costly. Perhaps not just monetary but polltically. Who do u think gahmen can afford to offend? 45000 opc owners? Or the rest of the car population? The needs of opc can thus take a back seat.

Also, no matter how much u jack up the price of non opc, prople will still buy cars. Mayb cos of work, or juz luv cars. But thats only if its politically viable. For now, if neccessary, the opc owners are still minorty and their clout is negligible compared to normal non opc owners.

monetary or politically... watever we can call it or name it...does not matter for the last 40 yrs.... garmen will never wan to offend anyone... coz all still put $ into garmen pocket.... they do tis way... upfront like making majority happy... then next time another system... upfront like making minority happy... till date, we are still debating... [sleeping]

it reminds me of local talents n foreign talents issue going for the last yrs as debated by millions.. monetary or politically reasons... they have it both...till date, still debating by millions till date [sleeping]

accept it ... opc or normal plates.. no matter how we jack up for opc.. ppl will still buy. it attracts diff crowds... we jack up for opc, they then feel no diff n end up buying more normal plates n joining the jam n maybe lesser opc in tis case. BUT jack up the coe, they will feel opc more affordable to buy after comparing.. n opc more n more in population.... remember, left & right pockets still belong to garmen.. monetary or politically??

at end of the day, its a never ending issue/problem... so if wan to end tis problem... lets look beyond (dun discrimiate car status) n see the root of problem w more far-sighted view... its the TOTAL OF CARS tat is causing the jam. nt anyone is particular, not any group in particular...

Maybe what Gonikj means is, as long as OPCs are eliminated, even if the traffic condition is still bad or gets worse, people are happy because no more OPCs. Makes sense? Not to me but seems to make alot of sense to alot of anti-OPC people here.

My guess is if OPCs (scapegoats) are eliminated and traffic still getter worse (which is to be expected), these people will start to turn on each other, and end up find another scapegoat, maybe now they target Conti cars, or COE cars, or commercial vehicles, 2-seater cars, whatever as long as not themselves. The thing is as long as they manage to eliminate another group other than themselves, they are happy, and they will continue to find scapegoats.

Sounds very stupid right, but then we r not talking about reasonable people here anyway. This is like a jungle and everyone is a territorial animal.

↡ Advertisement