Why was God vs Science thread locked?

Nostalgia

I was enjoying the many relevant points raised, both for and against....only to read this..

"I'm laughing at this juvenile thread.

I am locking this thread. "

There was no flaming, no vulgarity, just a lot of earnest people trying to make their points heard. And over a topic that many people feel fervently about. So I don't really get what was juvenile about the thread.

Could the mods please exercise some consideration. The power to censor and stop discussions should be used sparingly.

Edited by Nostalgia
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

you really don't know or pretend fool :D

you touched the RED line liao [thumbsdown]

Hrrrrr.....obviously its the latter. [lipsrsealed]

These two replies actually reinforce my point. I also struggle to understand why I, merely the last of many people to present food for thought, am personally responsible for touching the 'RED line'.

There are far more divisive and opinionated remarks in the 'BMW as best-selling budget car' thread.

Properly phrased arguments, referenced with external material, presented in a calm and logical fashion, are meant to provoke thought and debate.

Stopping a thread because the mod does not like it ("laughing at this juvenile thread") shows that

- said mod feels it's his right to impose his prejudices on others who might be interested in the debate

- exercising the power to stop the discussion because some real arguments against his opinions were being made

- stifling intelligent debate which is what makes an open forum interesting. The intelligent debate is well represented on multiple sides with positions made on different religions or lack thereof, and even ancient civilizations - it is not as if there is any single agenda being promoted here

The last quote is the saddest.... that a topic is marked 'potentially divisive' and taboo no matter how the argument is running, and self-censorship stepping in.

I suppose the rest of us who actually like to think through and reinforce our beliefs will never get a chance to do so in this forum. Conversely, the others who eagerly want to represent their own views for consideration will not get a chance either. It's a lose-lose situation.

So let's get back to the 'safe' threads on

'favourite brand of beer'

'Thai girl'

'wow' videos from Youtube

and give intelligence a break

Edited by Nostalgia

Neutral Newbie

These two replies actually reinforce my point. I also struggle to understand why I, merely the last of many people to present food for thought, am personally responsible for touching the 'RED line'.

There are far more divisive and opinionated remarks in the 'BMW as best-selling budget car' thread.

Properly phrased arguments, referenced with external material, presented in a calm and logical fashion, are meant to provoke thought and debate.

Stopping a thread because the mod does not like it ("laughing at this juvenile thread") shows that

- said mod feels it's his right to impose his prejudices on others who might be interested in the debate

- exercising the power to stop the discussion because some real arguments against his opinions were being made

- stifling intelligent debate which is what makes an open forum interesting. The intelligent debate is well represented on multiple sides with positions made on different religions or lack thereof, and even ancient civilizations - it is not as if there is any single agenda being promoted here

The last quote is the saddest.... that a topic is marked 'potentially divisive' and taboo no matter how the argument is running, and self-censorship stepping in.

I suppose the rest of us who actually like to think through and reinforce our beliefs will never get a chance to do so in this forum. Conversely, the others who eagerly want to represent their own views for consideration will not get a chance either. It's a lose-lose situation.

'Thai girl'

Relax bro... this is a just a car forum

Intelligent person u might be, but your character succks big time!!! [thumbsdown]

Please move on to other forum to satisfy your thrist. <_< Maybe religion.com [laugh]

We dont need you here!!! [furious]

Edited by Hiphiphoray

Neutral Newbie

'Thai girl'

So true.. We are told to respect people

It started very well. In the later posts it has potential heading to the lynching phase.

It has to be stopped. I've been watching it for some time.

I usually deleted threads but this one is locked.

I also use this opportunity for any TS on such topics to keep an eye on your "creation". Don't be like stupid Dr Frankenstein. You created it, you better be watching it and seeing how it is going. Yes, Darth_mel, you should be looking into this thread who has every making to be a monster. Be responsible about it. I don't have eyes everywhere.

If it needs trimming, call the mods and ask us if such SOB poster should be saying such stuff. We can PM the the guy and ask him to retract if it is too much. Better still, it will be best if the TS PM the offender. You are responsible to keep this thread on the right course.

Don't let it become a bloody undead monster causing all sorts of reactions that we have to stop its growth or worse kill it.

No. You can talk about it. You can agree to disagree but the later posts are showing lynching potential. It must be stopped.

I also use this opportunity for any TS on such topics to keep an eye on your "creation". Don't be like stupid Dr Frankenstein. You created it, you better be watching it and seeing how it is going. Yes, Darth_mel, you should be looking into this thread who has every making to be a monster. Be responsible about it. I don't have eyes everywhere.

If it needs trimming, call the mods and ask us if such SOB poster should be saying such stuff. We can PM the the guy and ask him to retract if it is too much. Better still, it will be best if the TS PM the offender. You are responsible to keep this thread on the right course.

Don't let it become a bloody undead monster causing all sorts of reactions that we have to stop its growth or worse kill it.

[thumbsup][thumbsup]

*Haizz* [shakehead] It is regrettable that the thread had to be closed, but it was done for the betterment of the forum. I have posted at length on the topic and still feel that Science & Religion can work together. Unfortunately, the hot-headedness and irrationality of some of the posters in that thread has caused it's demise.

(edited)

Intelligent person u might be, but your character succks big time!!! [thumbsdown]

Please move on to other forum to satisfy your thrist. <_< Maybe religion.com [laugh]

We dont need you here!!! [furious]

This is rude, crude, and prejudiced behavior from someone whose avatar shows images of innocent children. Do you think that you have the right to chase others out of the forum just because you don't like what you read? Do you even understand why I am questioning the closure of the other thread? And do you know I am not the creator of the thread that seems to be bringing out this unreasonable side of you?

I would also like to invite anyone else to explain why I am the one whose 'character sucks big time' when I do not lapse into abuse and insult.

Please take a proper look at posts that I have put up around the forum, then tell me exactly how my character 'sucks big time'. If you are angry about threads that I have posted in, why aren't you trying to chase away the original thread creators or other posters?

If you want to make statements of this sort, stop hiding behind the anonymity of the internet to make rude and unjustified statements. Either prove your point, or apologize.

You owe it to the next generation, that you are so proud of, to show some integrity.

Edited by Nostalgia

It started very well. In the later posts it has potential heading to the lynching phase.

It has to be stopped. I've been watching it for some time.

I usually deleted threads but this one is locked.

Thank you for the explanation. I may not like the fact that the action was taken, but I accept the reasons for it.