Is it just my luck?

Krieger

Hi guys, I have been looking to buy an HDB flat (resale). I had been approached by 4 agents. But I realise something, most of them tend to "b-------t". Two of them have no units and they claim they have, one of them kept changing his pricing.. and one always suggest me places which I do not want (even tho I have indicate my preference). All of them always say different things at different times...oh man. I understand they want to earn their living, but it really irks me when they are not being honest (I dun expect complete honesty) or not sincere in communicating.

I am rather dismay at the quality/ethics of my 4 agents to an extend I would rather do the sourcing and paper work myself.. any one has the same situation like me? Did you guys do your own paper work and how we go about it?

I have no intention of flaming property agents, but just that the 4 I had is .... well just my luck? Cheers

↡ Advertisement

Just around MCF, hopefully someone will recommend you to a better agent.

The 4 agents you have can ask them go Marina South fly kite.

Edited by Watwheels

Arg, hopefully I can meet a nice agent. I realise buying a HDB flat is so much tougher than buying a private one. Seems to me there are tons of paper work.

I guess a lot depends on location. Like the area where I'm staying, the location is very sort after, the property agent spamming in my letter box & doorstep is ridiculous.

Hi guys, I have been looking to buy an HDB flat (resale). I had been approached by 4 agents. But I realise something, most of them tend to "b-------t". Two of them have no units and they claim they have, one of them kept changing his pricing.. and one always suggest me places which I do not want (even tho I have indicate my preference). All of them always say different things at different times...oh man. I understand they want to earn their living, but it really irks me when they are not being honest (I dun expect complete honesty) or not sincere in communicating.

I am rather dismay at the quality/ethics of my 4 agents to an extend I would rather do the sourcing and paper work myself.. any one has the same situation like me? Did you guys do your own paper work and how we go about it?

I have no intention of flaming property agents, but just that the 4 I had is .... well just my luck? Cheers

Hi ...understand your frustrations...but the agents now all tend to be like that especially in buoyant mkts. To be honest we are part of the problem coz we condon their behaviour as a society.

They make more $ the higher the selling px, coupled with unrealistic sellers I guess the end result is clear. And yes, I have been dealing with a few agents recently as I am also looking and you are right! They don't listen or comprehend. Some just like to talk too much.

Since you said these agents approached you, then you have a choice to turn them away. Look for listings and go to listings on your own. Make it a point to tell the seller's agents you are not going to be paying their fees as they should only represent the seller/s. Naturally your offer will be last priority so best you deal directly with the seller/s. YOU DO NOT NEED AN AGENT for HDB resale transaction. Everything you need to know is a few clicks away.

Go ahead...save some $$$

Neutral Newbie

But at least not for my agent, took me 2months to confirm a unit and now just waiting for 1st appt. If you want i can intro him to you, nice and honest chap.

Neutral Newbie

yeah property agent in singapore is out for law, because including the director/ ceo, always have associate behind them.

if they cheat you, you can NOT do anything against the property company, because associate mean freelance, NEVER full time.

of course different story if you have money to hire lawyer. if you want go to small tribunal case, my case and friends i know, you 110% right, have evidence black and white (document, not picture), still always will be 100% loss when hearing by official judge.

my advice, go with the agent, see the unit, comeback at night, talk with the owner, give the commission owner agent to the owner. most my friend did like that and success.

sell and buy property is easy, hdb officer very helpfull, even you are the 1st timer. no need agent.

now 2009, do not know how the property company in singapore still can exist with their quality of ALL of the agent like ......., maybe politics ?

I thought we pay 1 % to the seller agent to link up the deal? Wow if I can, I would def do the paper work myself since it can be done online.

I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

UNDER HDB RULE, YOU DO NOT NEED AN AGENT TO DEAL. IF YOU FOUND A UNIT YOU LIKE, AND THE AGENT REFUSED TO DEAL, JUST TALK TO THE OWNER IN PRIVATE.

THE PAPERWORK IS REALLY NOT THAT DIFFICULT, WHEN COMPARED TO THE EXAMS WE ALL HAVE TAKEN MANY MANY YRS AGO ... HAHA ... SHOULD EASILY COMPLETE WITHIN 1-2 DAYS. POTENTIAL SAVINGS FROM AGENT FEES CAN BE $4 - $10k !! THAT'S A LOT.

IF AFTER TALKING TO HOUSE OWNER AND THE AGENT STILL CONTINUES TO PLAY PUNK, JUST TELL THE OWNER YOU HELP HIM DO PAPERWORK TOO ... AND ASK HIM TO CHARGE YOU $1-$2k CHEAPER ... HE WILL LIKELY AGREE, BECAUSE HE STILL SAVES SOME $$.

IT IS TIME WE DO OUR PART TO RID SOCIETY OF "RUBBISH" AGENTS .... ONLY THOSE WHO ARE PROFESSIONAL AND HONEST ... WILL SURVIVE.

p/s: fOR MY NEXT PROPERTY PURCHASE, I AM INTENDING TO OPT OUT OF AGENT AND CHANNEL MY SAVINGS INTO RENOV.

I know what you mean. One and half years ago I also looking for HDB resale, I also find the agents I've encountered not professional. I think its because of the boom at that time, so anyone just want to make a quick buck in the industry.

Even telling them my criteria, they still bring me see those units which I won't consider. Sometime even the agents themself are first time visiting the units.

Finally I settled for HDB direct sales, no need to pay commission.

Neutral Newbie

I thought we pay 1 % to the seller agent to link up the deal? Wow if I can, I would def do the paper work myself since it can be done online.

1% was still ok when prop price not as crazy...it protects the agent for the work & advertisements. But with prop price escalating much much more than our salaries, I think consumer shd force the market to change this %. unfortunately, we only buy/sell once over many yrs...so most of us let it go. [smallcry]

Turbocharged

In 1998 when I bought my 2nd hand unit, I searched ads and call the seller's agent. But the paperwork handled by the seller's agent as it was damn confusing. Nothing great about that agent also.

Maybe you can do that yourself too?

hey, my friend faced the same problems with his agents also. worse, one of the agent got impatient after viewing about 10 flats without a deal, he scofted at friend to "go find another agent if he cannot help".

I know what you mean. One and half years ago I also looking for HDB resale, I also find the agents I've encountered not professional. I think its because of the boom at that time, so anyone just want to make a quick buck in the industry.

Even telling them my criteria, they still bring me see those units which I won't consider. Sometime even the agents themself are first time visiting the units.

Finally I settled for HDB direct sales, no need to pay commission.

same with my friend's experience with agents. when my friend sold his 4rm flat, first open house only sold with a cov of $20k, and the agent make 2% on the sellers' part, which comes up to about $5k, just for an hour of viewing. yet when my friend tried to buy a flat from the same agent, the service sucks.

all information can be obtained from hdb.gov.sg

u need to spend at most 1 hour reading thru all the paper work, get familiarized and u get to save $5k to $10k depending on sale price.

not say dun wan to let agent earn. but if we can save some money in such times, why not? btw, its not "some money". its $5k to $10k

how long do u take to save tat kinda money? for me at least a few months.

Neutral Newbie

Unfortunately most agents always sign an "exclusive sell" clause with the sellers which lock them in to the transaction, whether or not the agent provided the services leading to the successful transaction. So even if you look up the owner separately, there is no guarantee that the owner wants to deal with you. For owners who do not sign an exclusive sell agreement, agents normally gloss over them or use their units to highlight others which they have an agreement with. Sometimes even providing unrealistic market prices to these owners so that their units seem unattractive and pricey compared to those who have signed up with the agent.

Getting a place is all hard work really. When I was looking for a place years back, I actually went to the particular neighborhood I wanted and talked to the everyone I see there if they/their friends are interested to sell (it helped that I was originally staying nearby too). This is perhaps the only way to really bypass agents. As for paperwork and process, its really nothing. HDB procedures are mostly online today, getting Q number is no longer a prerogative with the agencies and HDB even conduct monthly resale seminars to teach potential buyers/sellers.

↡ Advertisement