Japan and continental car almost same price now, but ...

Plusnplus

Conti cars not necessarily sure can buy. In fact, I'm told if wanna try, best to keep to only 2 makes: BMW and Merc.

Audi i'm not sure, but the rest i think all better avoid. Read here before can try to buy those Renault, Citreon, Peugeot, etc… if you have a lot of annual leave dunno what to do [:p]

VW lately heard apart from 1.4 models that are well documented, even Passat and Sharan also heard got problem… So that's another one to stay away from, imho.

And TS original thread was asking why choose Wish over Zafira. If it's referring to the current WIsh and Zafira in the market, then it is so obvious. Zafira is a sedan pretending (not very successfully) to be a MPV. Wish is at least almost there as a MPV. Space-wise, anyone who said Zafira (or any of the conti MPVs apart from Sharan) is more spacious than Wish, is… wrong (to be polite).

Yawn. All hearsay only. Go drive for extended periods or buy the cars then start talking bad about them.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Conti cars more on electrical problems like bulbs blown,etc,while bulbs blown is a small problem,the trouble of it is the cars very difficult to DIY change,so need to send to workshop to change. [bigcry] ,also need to top out engine oil every 5000km...

Conti cars more on electrical problems like bulbs blown,etc,while bulbs blown is a small problem,the trouble of it is the cars very difficult to DIY change,so need to send to workshop to change. [bigcry] ,also need to top out engine oil every 5000km...

You are talking about new or old car conti cars? Edited by Vratenza

For me Japanese car, any time.

But must be real Japanese car made in Japan, not Japanese car made outside of Japan.

My 2nd MIT car. I don't think there's any difference honestly. Or if so, it doesn't really show up in normal usage on Sg roads Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

To a typical driver who likes to change car every 5 yr and no intend to drive till 10th or beyond (renew COE), I think most conti brands are okay. Problems and higher maintenance bills usually kick in after 7 years and beyond certain mileage like 150k Km.

• Praise 2

Lol..

Is kimchi car really that bad?

I have a 2nd hand Kia Forte (coming 7 yr old). Honestly, it is not as bad as what we have been imagining.  

Lol..

Is kimchi car really that bad?

I have a 2nd hand Kia Forte (coming 7 yr old). Honestly, it is not as bad as what we have been imagining.  

I have 2 old hyundais which i drove/am driving from 6-10 yr old. Honestly, one problem will come after another. 

But i look back the last 20 yr: korean cars have been improving and is closing in on Jap makes. 20 yr ago, one sky one earth. 10 yr ago, marked improvement and almost looks equal (i recall one review said Avante was Corolla killer…), so if that trend has continued, will Korean have caught up with Japs now? I know those korean cars approaching 10 yr now, still CMI. But maybe new cars now have again improved significantly?

Just look at mobile phones. We hear of Samsung and LG, but no Jap makes… Korean technology could have caught up for cars too. 

• Praise 3

Yawn. All hearsay only. Go drive for extended periods or buy the cars then start talking bad about them.

You're right. I've not driven a conti myself, so better not talk much about the problems (but i heard directly from friends and colleagues who drove them leh…)

But i standby what i said about space in conti MPVs. I went to see most of them, and apart from Sharan, the rest CMI space-wise. Peugeot moves off super slow.

You're right. I've not driven a conti myself, so better not talk much about the problems (but i heard directly from friends and colleagues who drove them leh…)

But i standby what i said about space in conti MPVs. I went to see most of them, and apart from Sharan, the rest CMI space-wise. Peugeot moves off super slow.

Haha..

Same here. I don't comment on conti problems since I don't own one. But sometimes u don't have to go down that road to learn that. Look and hear feedbacks from close friends who have tried it. They have no reasons to lie. 

Over the years, I owned Japanese, Korean and driven Malaysian car (proton) as a rented car in Malaysia...

I have been driving the C-class for the past 3 years.... I am addicted to the conti built... [laugh]  [laugh]

The car is ever so eager to go when you step on the throttle and the stability you feel at high speed, priceless...

• Praise 1

Comparing conti versus non conti in generic terms is a needless process. Not to say we need a algorithm to decide which is better but the fact is we will always have 2 clans of supporters or maybe more (Korean, China, etc) and you will hear different facts/heresay/perceptions so on and so forth.. I have owned/driven an Accent, Citroen C4, Camry, IS250, Q5 and Teana. Two of the longest ones I had were Hyundai and Citroen and it was back in early 2000s and those were the ones I had the most beautiful memories [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

I reckon both Japan and conti cars have their pros and cons. I have driven both and I will try to be as objective as possible here. I'm a lover of cars by the way, so I don't really have any particular allegiance to any group.

Conti is a very broad term, hence I will only talk about the German makes here since they are the most popular and churn the biggest volume.

In my view, German cars are more technologically advanced and Jap cars more reliable. Due to more new tech in German cars, they are prone to more glitches as compared to trusty technologies as these new tech are not bullet-proof yet. The Germans have more potent engine in general. They tend to be more expensive than Jap cars. 

Jap cars tend to lag a little in terms of tech, and they prefer trusted tech (eg 4/5AT) as compared to the 7-G tronic or DSG in the Germans. The result is that their cars are more bullet-proof and can last longer without faults. Jap cars tend to be cheaper too.

Obviously I'm over-generalizing here, and I apologise if I have offended anyone. There are very good cars in both camps. 

• Praise 1

I reckon both Japan and conti cars have their pros and cons. I have driven both and I will try to be as objective as possible here. I'm a lover of cars by the way, so I don't really have any particular allegiance to any group.

Conti is a very broad term, hence I will only talk about the German makes here since they are the most popular and churn the biggest volume.

In my view, German cars are more technologically advanced and Jap cars more reliable. Due to more new tech in German cars, they are prone to more glitches as compared to trusty technologies as these new tech are not bullet-proof yet. The Germans have more potent engine in general. They tend to be more expensive than Jap cars. 

Jap cars tend to lag a little in terms of tech, and they prefer trusted tech (eg 4/5AT) as compared to the 7-G tronic or DSG in the Germans. The result is that their cars are more bullet-proof and can last longer without faults. Jap cars tend to be cheaper too.

Obviously I'm over-generalizing here, and I apologise if I have offended anyone. There are very good cars in both camps. 

Agree. I too hv driven both  german and japanese cars. German cars feel more solid and give better performance while japanese cars are more reliable and less prone to minor glitches. Very generally.

↡ Advertisement