Media Player?

Green_carnation

Sorry guys.. a noob question.. probably i m not so tech savvy.

Is there a media player which can play .avi, .mpg files and can be plugged to tv and watch over tv screen? So it will be like usb plug from the media player, and plug the video and audio jacks into the tv..

↡ Advertisement

Yes, there is and is very common now. You can get them from Sim Lim but since the Comex shows is around the corner, maybe you can get a good deal there, Price range is from $50 to $100++. FYI, it can play RMBV and VOB file as well

Yes, there is and is very common now. You can get them from Sim Lim but since the Comex shows is around the corner, maybe you can get a good deal there, Price range is from $50 to $100++. FYI, it can play RMBV and VOB file as well

thanks bro.. hmmm any brands to recommend?

I'm using media player from Western Digital. It's supports HD and have codec updates on their website. It has 2 usb ports on the device. Supports a lot of format from video, pictures and music files. Cost around $199, less if you are member at Challenger.

I'm using media player from Western Digital. It's supports HD and have codec updates on their website. It has 2 usb ports on the device. Supports a lot of format from video, pictures and music files. Cost around $199, less if you are member at Challenger.

OOOhh.. sounds cool.. will check out challenger... [thumbsup]

Mine dunno what brand, from China. Bought it during IT show and am still using it. Cost me about $80 and no complaint, has the same functions as what bro Watwheels mentioned. If you are looking for HD media player quality, then it will be slightly more ex.

wah bro! long time no see!!!

i bought a manowar magic circle vol 2 [thumbsup][bounce1][bounce1] rock on man!!!! [bounce1][bounce1]

:D indeed.. been so long... hmmm i shud check out the magic circle too! btw did u go baybeats over the weekend? could hv gone to catch OP but was sick..

Mine dunno what brand, from China. Bought it during IT show and am still using it. Cost me about $80 and no complaint, has the same functions as what bro Watwheels mentioned. If you are looking for HD media player quality, then it will be slightly more ex.

hmmm i dun need HD quality.. but china brand i tend to worry abt its 'life'.. but seems like u hv been using it and so far so good.. perhaps i can consider china brand too..

I am looking for a media player that has the following features :-

1) must be able to play DVD, VCD, MP4, AVI formats;

2) small and light to carry around (meant to bring along during travel);

3) must have RCA output, HDMI is a bonus (needs RCA as some hotels are still using old TVs that do not have HDMI inputs);

4) price preferably below $100.

I have bought a Akira player which claims to be able to play MP4 but it could not so I returned it. Found a Sony Blu-ray player which meets my first two criteria but does not have RCA output.

Anyone have something to recommend? I am not particular about brand.

Neutral Newbie

3) must have RCA output, HDMI is a bonus (needs RCA as some hotels are still using old TVs that do not have HDMI inputs);

I have bought a Akira player which claims to be able to play MP4 but it could not so I returned it. Found a Sony Blu-ray player which meets my first two criteria but does not have RCA output.

http://dx.com/p/mini-1080p-full-hd-media-player-w-hdmi-usb-sd-yprpb-av-black-94253

The LG Bluray BD-660 player I'm using is capable of playing pretty much any format I've thrown at it (with a few very rare exceptions). It can certainly handle the usual AVI, DIVX, XVID, MKV, MP4, MPG, WMV etc. These can be played via USB or streamed via a DLNA PC media server (either Nero Media Home, which is provided, or a free app like Serviio or Plex). Even though this is not documented, I've found that it doesn't even need a DLNA server - it's capable of reading network shares over the LAN directly. It can also view photos and music (only MP3, not FLAC) and outputs on both HDMI and RCA composite (the yellow/white/red output). It has the added bonus of being able to play 3D blurays (and pretty much any other format of optical disc).

Portability is the major issue, but even though it's sized like a VCR, it's really quite light. It's also more than a 100 bucks I think. It may not meet all your criteria, but I'm very happy with it and I just wanted to offer another alternative.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

This seems cheap and good but I think I would need one that can play disc (DVD and VCD).

The LG Bluray BD-660 player I'm using is capable of playing pretty much any format I've thrown at it (with a few very rare exceptions). It can certainly handle the usual AVI, DIVX, XVID, MKV, MP4, MPG, WMV etc. These can be played via USB or streamed via a DLNA PC media server (either Nero Media Home, which is provided, or a free app like Serviio or Plex). Even though this is not documented, I've found that it doesn't even need a DLNA server - it's capable of reading network shares over the LAN directly. It can also view photos and music (only MP3, not FLAC) and outputs on both HDMI and RCA composite (the yellow/white/red output). It has the added bonus of being able to play 3D blurays (and pretty much any other format of optical disc).

Portability is the major issue, but even though it's sized like a VCR, it's really quite light. It's also more than a 100 bucks I think. It may not meet all your criteria, but I'm very happy with it and I just wanted to offer another alternative.

What is the price like? And yeah, it does look more like the home use type of size. Smaller would be good but I guess sometimes there will be trade offs.

This seems cheap and good but I think I would need one that can play disc (DVD and VCD).

What is the price like? And yeah, it does look more like the home use type of size. Smaller would be good but I guess sometimes there will be trade offs.

When I bought it about 2 years back, it was with a Groupon and I bought it from Courts - I think it came to about $150+ inclusive of a gold "monster" HDMI cable. Not sure of the current price, or even if it's readily available in Singapore.

Googling gave me this: http://www.deal.com.sg/deals/singapore/S168-For-LG-BD-660-3D-Blu-Ray-Player-at-Mega-Discount-Store

$168 after discount, but that's an old deal, I'm afraid.

Edited by Turboflat4

When I bought it about 2 years back, it was with a Groupon and I bought it from Courts - I think it came to about $150+ inclusive of a gold "monster" HDMI cable. Not sure of the current price, or even if it's readily available in Singapore.

Googling gave me this: http://www.deal.com.sg/deals/singapore/S168-For-LG-BD-660-3D-Blu-Ray-Player-at-Mega-Discount-Store

$168 after discount, but that's an old deal, I'm afraid.

After testing various models from Philips, Sony, LG, Samsung, Hyundai, Akira, I have not been able to find one model that plays MP4 properly despite some of their claims on their packaging. One promoter advised that the only sure way is to get a media player - that is, no disc player for me.

Then searching through DX.com for media players, there is also another type of Android TV media player, which can cost twice the price of a normal media player. Just what other functions do they do apart from playing media files from SD or USB?

After testing various models from Philips, Sony, LG, Samsung, Hyundai, Akira, I have not been able to find one model that plays MP4 properly despite some of their claims on their packaging. One promoter advised that the only sure way is to get a media player - that is, no disc player for me.

Then searching through DX.com for media players, there is also another type of Android TV media player, which can cost twice the price of a normal media player. Just what other functions do they do apart from playing media files from SD or USB?

Erm. MP4 is just a container just like MKV or AVI is a container.

I know LG, Samsung smart TVs definitely can play MP4 container. My older Samsung 6 series cant play mkv i know.

Question is what codec is inside. If it's H264 inside, i think most current smart tvs or media players definitely can play...

So what is your question of PROPERLY?

I can say even true media players have some difficulty catching up with the codecs. My media player cant display most anime properly (not sure what codecs the fansubbers are using).

Only a HTPC can definitely do everything via VLC or Windows Media player classic with CCCP codec pack.

• Praise 1

Erm. MP4 is just a container just like MKV or AVI is a container.

I know LG, Samsung smart TVs definitely can play MP4 container. My older Samsung 6 series cant play mkv i know.

Question is what codec is inside. If it's H264 inside, i think most current smart tvs or media players definitely can play...

So what is your question of PROPERLY?

I can say even true media players have some difficulty catching up with the codecs. My media player cant display most anime properly (not sure what codecs the fansubbers are using).

Only a HTPC can definitely do everything via VLC or Windows Media player classic with CCCP codec pack.

Well put. And container "issues" are usually quite simple to solve. Some MKV files are non-seekable on my player, but a simple app (Meteorite) fixes them quickly. Much more quickly than if a full re-encode to a different codec is required.

↡ Advertisement