Replacing Oxygen Sensor

Tohdj

Neutral Newbie

How much will it cost to change each oxygen sensor? my car has 4 of them. 2 before catalytic converter and 2 after it.

anybody did it before? hope to know the prices before i go down to the workshop tomorrow.

↡ Advertisement

Hey bro, wat's ur made n model?

Easier to assist if u list out.

Go get frm your stockist cheaper than asking workshop getting for u.

I bought mine $150 for the one b4 catalyitc converter, $186 for the one after the catalytic converter.

All bought frm stockist, workshop wanted to charge me $200 each

Edited by Mit81

Neutral Newbie

Hey bro, wat's ur made n model?

Easier to assist if u list out.

Go get frm your stockist cheaper than asking workshop getting for u.

I bought mine $150 for the one b4 catalyitc converter, $186 for the one after the catalytic converter.

All bought frm stockist, workshop wanted to charge me $200 each

my car is a mitsubishi outlander 2004 model. called a few stockists...but most shops say no stocks and cannot confirm on the price. 1 shop quoted S$200+++ each.

called the workshop...but they say that they can find ready stocks though.

i tried the online shops in US...and they are selling USD$20+++ for universal type of oxygen sensors...but not sure if it is sold in the stockists here.

Can I know why you guys changed O2 sensors? Is it because of interval replacement or because there is a fault?

Previously my car's O2 sensors are replaced periodically. ie, 40k and the mechanic told me must change. But I've since left that mechanic and now going to other (cheap) workshops. And so far, no one advised me to change O2 sensor or basically no one keeps track of these anymore.

Got once, my car misfired and the (previous) mechanic just said "ok change all O2 sensors"

Can I know why you guys changed O2 sensors? Is it because of interval replacement or because there is a fault?

Previously my car's O2 sensors are replaced periodically. ie, 40k and the mechanic told me must change. But I've since left that mechanic and now going to other (cheap) workshops. And so far, no one advised me to change O2 sensor or basically no one keeps track of these anymore.

Got once, my car misfired and the (previous) mechanic just said "ok change all O2 sensors"

I only know that the O2 sensor is faulty as the CEL lights up with the error code that is pointing to the "O2 sensor slow in response".

It there is a failure to O2 sensor, there will be a CEL.

Neutral Newbie

UPDATE: i had 1 oxygen sensor spoilt...and another one just died. the workshop contacted a few stockists for me, and nobody has stocks of the original mitsubishi part. I contacted another stockist...and he can import it for S$400+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ each.

so i ordered a BOSCH universal oxygen sensor from USA and it arrived today. will be going down to the workshop to get it fixed up. price is US$49 per piece.

UPDATE: i had 1 oxygen sensor spoilt...and another one just died. the workshop contacted a few stockists for me, and nobody has stocks of the original mitsubishi part. I contacted another stockist...and he can import it for S$400+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ each.

so i ordered a BOSCH universal oxygen sensor from USA and it arrived today. will be going down to the workshop to get it fixed up. price is US$49 per piece.

bro, do update us on e compatibility. hope it works. [thumbsup]

Assuming that your car is stock with no mods done to your exhaust system, O2 sensors' lifespan is relatively long.

For your case at 40K, u may go for your warranty claim from your local agent.

Usually when the CEL appears due to O2 sensor's fault, the mechanic should 1st reset the fault-code and remove the O2 sensor and have it clean 1st.

Thereafter, the driver should drive on and monitor to check if the CEL reappear, if so, then replace the O2 sensor.

Is there such thing as a universal catalyst convertor? hahaa....

Assuming that your car is stock with no mods done to your exhaust system, O2 sensors' lifespan is relatively long.

For your case at 40K, u may go for your warranty claim from your local agent.

Usually when the CEL appears due to O2 sensor's fault, the mechanic should 1st reset the fault-code and remove the O2 sensor and have it clean 1st.

Thereafter, the driver should drive on and monitor to check if the CEL reappear, if so, then replace the O2 sensor.

This is the correct way, but nowaday work ethic degraded, people just want to make money.

My usual mechanic tell me if no problem don't change. Even fuel filter, he told me the same thing. [dizzy]

My usual mechanic tell me if no problem don't change. Even fuel filter, he told me the same thing. [dizzy]

That explains the cost disparity between ADs and outside workshop. After I left the ADs, I never looked back. But I realised it works for ppl who have a okok understanding of how the car works. For some ppl who has high expectancy of cars' reliability and don't mind spending X amount, they should continue with AD.

Thats wrong thinking....

AD do have the tendency of doing a F-up job, the servicing check-up anyhow tick tick tick 1.... end up I open up the bonnet, windscreen fluid and other additional fluid never top-up... [thumbsdown]

Its the same out there. When you only want a cheap job, pay $20 for all the labour for changing oil...sometimes they also electively check water, check leak, check battery fluid, check this, check that.

There are also outside workshops that claims they follow everything in the check list too....but labour alone cost $100+....

That explains the cost disparity between ADs and outside workshop. After I left the ADs, I never looked back. But I realised it works for ppl who have a okok understanding of how the car works. For some ppl who has high expectancy of cars' reliability and don't mind spending X amount, they should continue with AD.

Can't complain much, my workshop is those no frill kind. Normal servicing which I supply my own engine oil and my workshop supply the rest such as spark plugs 4nos, engine oil filter, engine air filter and labour, all in for less than $50.

For $50 what can be done at AD? [cool]

At least I can see what they doing to my car, ask them some question as they doing the work to learn something. For AD once the car handed over, you not sure if they really performed the tasks mentioned in the receipt. [sweatdrop]

fuel filter when time is up better change lah [:)]

They said local petrol quite clean, so far their customer didn't need fuel filter replacement... [crazy]

I do remember when I driving a carburattor engine car, the fuel filter is semi-transparent in the engine bay, easy to replace. After changing I shake the old filter to see if its dirty, surprising its clean, no sediments or dirt inside.

↡ Advertisement