Fate of Chartered Semiconductor?

Albeniz

it is part and parcel of globalisation. You will c more and more China Chinese and Filipinos serving in the service sector. To be fair, I think they do provide better service than locals.

↡ Advertisement

would it be fair to say that Chartered failed to bridge the technology gap between themselves and TSMC and UMD and hence the frequent losses, even during boom years ?

ATIC also has a joint venture with AMD, so maybe there is an angle to this acquisition ?

Edited by Blueray

I have no idea, but rumours from some equipment vendors that IMFlash may make a comeback.

If it's indeed true that the cleanroom is up and ready, they could be spending at least tens of thousands a month maintaining the cleamroom now.

Worst case, the government may offer to sell the building to SSMC, since they do not have a 12" facility here or probably offer to ATIC as Chartered's Fab 8. TECH had already converted their production to 12".

It is true that IMFlash will be coming back very soon and this is a sort of "concrete" news to all semicon vendor [thumbsup]

However, recent semicon market doesn't look that good, for IMFlash to start its production might be quite difficult unless there is very strong demand in near future or some superbly strong backing on this company.

it is part and parcel of globalisation. You will c more and more China Chinese and Filipinos serving in the service sector. To be fair, I think they do provide better service than locals.

Pinoys and PRCs sucks in service sector, same as locals. but pinoys and prcs are worse than local, couldn't even understand them

It is true that IMFlash will be coming back very soon and this is a sort of "concrete" news to all semicon vendor [thumbsup]

However, recent semicon market doesn't look that good, for IMFlash to start its production might be quite difficult unless there is very strong demand in near future or some superbly strong backing on this company.

IMFlash already put in tonnes of money into facilities in S'pore. The pull out was only temporary I guess. It's good news indeed that companies are making a comeback.

Globalfoundries breaks ground on new S$5b fab in Singapore

Since its acquisition of Chartered Semiconductors in 2010, GF has committed S$12 billion in fixed asset investments in Singapore. It is the largest foundry in Singapore, with five wafer fabs and close to 4,800 employees.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/global-enterprise/globalfoundries-breaks-ground-on-new-s5b-fab-in-singapore

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1