Do you look down upon those who drive manual car?

Quantum

No such thing. WRX, Evo all are MT.

ha... this statement is wrong...

rex evo... all hav auto liao..

i driven started manual... tried auto for 2 yrs.. ended bought manual again... coz more control.

more savings :) and more fun...

jam is okie as long as its not upslope wahahha

by default, family car is Auto transmission, normally driving AT represent luxurious and rich, [thumbsup] so many manual car lovers have to switch to auto to avoid to be looked down by others, [;)] how do you guys think ?[:(]

very funny !! [sweatdrop]

I drive a manual, that means I am always being looked down by people.... [bigcry] I will only pity those who have never driven a manual before, good example is class 3A, they do not know what they are missing..

From the way I see some of my young cousons and also friends , seems like people's thoughts are getting very shallow as we progess... But hey, my survey is only a small group of people, unless a hugh survey is done, cannot confirm this trend I am seeing.

Neutral Newbie

Before we all start arguing & cut throat each others lets get our facts right as knowledge is power but assumption is just a key to failure...

A manual transmission, or manual gearbox (also informally known as 'stick shift', 'straight shift', 'standard shift', or sometimes (potentially misleadingly) '5-speed') is a type of transmission used in motor vehicle applications. It generally utilizes a driver-operated clutch, operated by a pedal or lever, for regulating torque transfer from the internal combustion engine to the transmission, and a gear-shift, either operated by hand (as in a car), or by foot (as on a motorcycle). Other types of transmission in mainstream automotive use are the automatic transmission, semi-automatic transmission, and the continuously variable transmission(CVT).

Manual transmissions often feature a driver-operated clutch and a movable gear selector. Most automobile manual transmissions allow the driver to select any forward gear at any time, but some, such as those commonly mounted on motorcycles and some types of racing cars, only allow the driver to select the next-higher or next-lower gear ratio. This second type of transmission is sometimes called a sequential manual transmission. Sequential transmissions are commonly used in auto racing for their ability to make quick shifts.[citation needed]

Manual transmissions are characterized by gear ratios that are selectable by locking selected gear pairs to the output shaft inside the transmission. Conversely, most automatic transmissions feature epicyclic (planetary) gearing controlled by brake bands and/or clutch packs to select gear ratio. Automatic transmissions that allow the driver to manually select the current gear are called semi-automatic transmissions.

Contemporary automotive manual transmissions are generally available with four to six forward gears and one reverse gear, although manual transmissions have been built with as few as two and as many as eight gears. Tractor units have at least 9 gears and as many as 24. Some manuals are referred to by the number of forward gears they offer (e.g., 5-speed) as a way of distinguishing between automatic or other available manual transmissions. Similarly, a 5-speed automatic transmission is referred to as a 5-speed automatic.

Gear variety

Manual transmissions in passenger vehicles are often equipped with 4, 5, or more recently 6 forward gears in conventional manual transmissions with a gear stick, and up to 7 forward gears in semi-automatic transmissions. Nearly all have one reverse gear. In three or four speed transmissions, in most cases, the topmost gear is "direct", i.e., a 1:1 ratio. For five speed or higher transmissions, the highest gear is usually an overdrive gear, with a ratio of less than 1:1. Older cars were generally equipped with 3-speed transmissions, or 4-speed transmissions for high performance models and 5-speeds for the most sophisticated of automobiles; in the 1970s, 5-speed transmissions began to appear in low priced mass market automobiles and even compact pickup trucks, pioneered by Toyota (who advertised the fact by giving each model the suffix SR5 as it acquired the fifth speed). Today, mass market automotive manual transmissions are essentially all 5-speeds, with 6-speed transmissions beginning to emerge in high performance vehicles in the early 1990s, and recently beginning to be offered on some high-efficiency and conventional passenger cars. A very small number of 7-speed 'manual-derived' transmissions are offered on high-end performance cars, such as the Bugatti Veyron 16.4, or the BMW M5. Both of these cars feature a paddle shifter.

Drawbacks

Manual transmissions place slightly more workload on the driver in heavy traffic situations, when the driver must often operate the clutch pedal. In comparison, automatic transmissions merely require moving the foot from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal, and vice versa. Manual transmissions require the driver to remove one hand periodically from the steering wheel while the vehicle is in motion. The smoothness and correct timing of gear shifts are wholly dependent on the driver's experience and skill; because the driver selects each gear, it is also possible to select the wrong gear. Attempting to select reverse while the vehicle is moving causes severe gear wear, and choosing a low gear with the car moving at speed can overspeed and damage the engine. There is a learning curve with a manual transmission; the driver must develop a feel for properly engaging the clutch, especially when starting forward on a steep road or when parking on an incline.

Some automatic transmissions can shift ratios faster than a manual gear change can be accomplished, due to the time required for the average driver to push the clutch pedal to the floor and move the shifter from one position to another. This is especially true in regards to twin-clutch gearboxes, which are specialized computer-controlled manual transmissions.

Many types of automobiles are equipped with manual transmissions. Small economy cars predominantly feature manual transmissions because they are cheap and efficient, although many are optionally equipped with automatics. Economy cars are also often powered by very small engines, and automatic transmissions can make them comparatively very slow, while a manual transmission makes much more efficient use of the power produced.

Sports cars are also often equipped with manual transmissions because they offer more direct driver involvement and better performance. Off-road vehicles and trucks often feature manual transmissions because they allow direct gear selection and are often more rugged than their automatic counterparts.

Conversely, manual transmissions are no longer popular in many classes of cars sold in North America, Australia and Asia, although they remain dominant in Europe and in Latin America. Nearly all cars are available with an automatic transmission option, and family cars and large trucks sold in the US are predominantly fitted with automatics. In Europe most cars are sold with manual transmissions. Most luxury cars are only available with an automatic transmission. In most cases where both transmissions are available for a given car, automatics are an at cost option, but in some cases the reverse is true. Some cars, such as rental cars and taxis, are nearly universally equipped with automatic transmissions in countries such as the US, but the opposite is true in Europe.

Edited by Mizzy

Auto gear is most suitable to drive in Singapore road.

So, when traffic light turn green, floor the throttle, and you will be the first to reach the next traffic light !

No need to clutch in, change gear, release clutch, throttle, c clutch in, change gear, release clutch, throttle, clutch in, change gear, release clutch, throttle, clutch in, change gear, release clutch, throttle,....... so ma fan.....

Pay few K more you will be always the first one to reach next traffic light. [thumbsup]

Edited by Mrlau

So, when traffic light turn green, floor the throttle, and you will be the first to reach the next traffic light !

No need to clutch in, change gear, release clutch, throttle, c clutch in, change gear, release clutch, throttle, clutch in, change gear, release clutch, throttle, clutch in, change gear, release clutch, throttle,....... so ma fan.....

Pay few K more you will be always the first one to reach next traffic light. [thumbsup]

looks like u've nvr experienced manual acceleration compared to auto huh?drove a manual swift,always first one to reach the next traffic light..and i love roads going uphill.auto surely will be so slow to the point i have to high beam them to get out of the way.

My little 1300cc manual is always first off the lights from 0-60km/h. After that other cars catch up easily. But still I cannot agree that auto cars pickup is always faster. If you are very familiar with your manual car and know how to change gears at the optimal point your pickup in a manual car will be much faster than auto car of similar model (at least compared to a similar model and assuming it is not one of those high-end semi-auto or DSG type gearbox)

My little 1300cc manual is always first off the lights from 0-60km/h. After that other cars catch up easily. But still I cannot agree that auto cars pickup is always faster. If you are very familiar with your manual car and know how to change gears at the optimal point your pickup in a manual car will be much faster than auto car of similar model (at least compared to a similar model and assuming it is not one of those high-end semi-auto or DSG type gearbox)

what are we comparing?

speed?

torque?

bhp?

price?

cost?

image?

looks?

durability?

etc etc

that old sentence should be true to most Manual cars NOT AUTO ... if u compare apple to apple.

manual cars are faster and less fuel consuming than auto cars... dun to less effort to pull .... and less lag compare to AT (dun compare to DSG, coz tat one so far one of the fast auto shift... saying abt normal auto box)

i suppose u nv drive a manual car of the same model... and full throttle

changing gear is part and parcel of joy of manual driving, in control.

i should say i more accident prone of driving auto :P let go brake car move liao... ganna twice at traffice light...

was years ago.

the last sentence oso dun apply to all cars... my car ... MT AT all same price.

Edited by Circuit

by default, family car is Auto transmission, normally driving AT represent luxurious and rich, [thumbsup] so many manual car lovers have to switch to auto to avoid to be looked down by others, [;)] how do you guys think ?[:(]

Huh [confused] i tot ppl switch to AT is bcos it is :

1: easier to drive

2: no choice (certain makes no manual transmission/wife insist on AT etc)

3: dun wan to get leg cramp while stuck in a evening jam

4: etc etc.

I din know now driving AT is equate to luxurious n rich leh, like dat means a lot of rich ppl in SG liao. [lipsrsealed]

If u talking abt AT with DSG, then maybe it sounds more logical cos only avail in conti makes. normal AT trans very common leh.

Jus my humble view.

Huh [confused] i tot ppl switch to AT is bcos it is :

1: easier to drive

2: no choice (certain makes no manual transmission/wife insist on AT etc)

3: dun wan to get leg cramp while stuck in a evening jam

4: etc etc.

I din know now driving AT is equate to luxurious n rich leh, like dat means a lot of rich ppl in SG liao. [lipsrsealed]

If u talking abt AT with DSG, then maybe it sounds more logical cos only avail in conti makes. normal AT trans very common leh.

Jus my humble view.

No la... i think TS meant AT = High Tech

e.g.

Asus_Garmin_ed.gif

VERSUS

old-mobile-phones.jpg

Agree

Not True unless u driving a 2.0L AT vs a Manual 600cc Viki

Tis is where u derive the fun of driving. ma fan....well i guess u always stuck in the jam dats y.

Sometimes, its no choice, the brand n model of car we buying has no manual trans.