Incest produce defective child?

Turbonetics

below is one of the paragraphs from Yahoo news where a man raped his daughter for 30 years:

"The man, whose identity has been withheld, started abusing his daughter when she was aged 11, said the Herald-Sun newspaper, adding the girl had four children from her father, all of whom were born with birth defects. One of them later died."

so it is true that incest will produce children whom will not be "perfect" in any ways but is it scientific proven?

hope this thread won't turn into the news discussion but focus on "Incest" topic. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

Guest EverestLeasing
Neutral Newbie

Incest is considered as inbreeding.

Inbreeding may result in a far higher phenotypic expression of deleterious recessive genes within a population than would normally be expected.[1] As a result, first-generation inbred individuals are more likely to show physical and health defects, including:

* Reduced fertility both in litter size and sperm viability

* Increased genetic disorders

* Fluctuating facial asymmetry

* Lower birth rate

* Higher infant mortality

* Slower growth rate

* Smaller adult size

* Loss of immune system function

Extracted from inbreeding article from Wiki.

Read more about incest.

Inbreeding calculation

"The inbreeding is computed as a percentage of chances for two alleles to be identical by descent. This percentage is called "inbreeding coefficient". There are several methods to compute this percentage, the two main ways are the path method[9] [1] and the tabular method[10] [2].[unreliable source?]

Typical inbreeding percentages are as follows:[dubious

Neutral Newbie

from wad i understand is that the genes are too similar.... crash and burn.

Tis one...u r right....My NUS research friends had done tis research.

Generally why couples of different race can produce pretty n clever kiddos? Cos they had v different genes...

So our old ancestors said," Tan n tan cannot married...lim n lim oso cannot...same sirname all cannot." They r so clever....

So even cousins oso better nt get married cos still got similar genes.

Edited by Limhm

They do it for dogs and animals.... where unscrupulous breeders can produce so-called "pure breeds" to sell to unsuspecting owners. Then the owners bring the puppies home that are saddled with genetic disorder and these poor doggies are either abandoned or had to be put down because the owners can no longer cope with the medical attention required..... [shakehead]

with regard to marrying same surname.

My auntie and uncle same surname but both kids are normal. i think its only applies to close blood ties members.

Same with betta slender (commonly known as fighting fish), if you inter breed too much, the 3rd or 4th generation onwards will not be that pretty. recommended by a Betta expert that every 3 Generation have to breed out of the family pool.

My auntie and uncle same surname but both kids are normal. i think its only applies to close blood ties members.

i supposed the post above with reagrds to same surname does not mean will give birth to a defective child but the rate on genes similarity will differ more thus produce a smarter child.

this same surname cannot marry thing is an old wives tale... cos last time people not educated so come up with such claims. Just look at korea.... huge proportion of them are surname Lee. How? like dat cannot marry leow... hahahaha

eh think scientifically proven that genes from the same pool increases the chance of a defect at birth leh...

true,maybe.but,has it been proven the same with same surnames?the older generations do not encourage marriage of same surname for fear of being related,which i think is very undue and uncalled for.

eh think scientifically proven that genes from the same pool increases the chance of a defect at birth leh...

true,maybe.but,has it been proven the same with same surnames?the older generations do not encourage marriage of same surname for fear of being related,which i think is very undue and uncalled for.

This is call prevention. cause last time, ppl living in the same village have the same surname. all their wife marriage from neighbouring villages. but some od them decided to go outside to do business. so after many years also got off spring in other village. so to play safe, they decided that same surname (AKA same tribe) cannot get marriage.

cause same ancestor

Edited by Joseph22

This is call prevention. cause last time, ppl living in the same village have the same surname. all their wife marriage from neighbouring villages. but some od them decided to go outside to do business. so after many years also got off spring in other village. so to play safe, they decided that same surname (AKA same tribe) cannot get marriage.

cause same ancestor

but theres no way anyone can prevent this.there are people givin away their new borns right after birth already made it possible for same blood or same surname to get married.i have cousins whom i do not even know how they look like.haha!

but theres no way anyone can prevent this.there are people givin away their new borns right after birth already made it possible for same blood or same surname to get married.i have cousins whom i do not even know how they look like.haha!

there are no 100% control but we can try to reduce such chance/risk.

↡ Advertisement