Engine fails on Singapore A380, flight turns back

Babyt

CORRECTED-Engine fails on Singapore A380, flight turns back Reuters - 2 hours 45 minutes agoSend IM Story Print

PARIS, Sept 27 - A Singapore Airlines <SIAL.SI> A380 was forced to turn round mid-flight and head back to Paris on Sunday after one of its four engines failed, the head of the airline's French operations said.

The doubledecker A380 took off from Paris at 12.30 p.m. with 444 passengers aboard and headed for Singapore, but had to turn round after 2 hours 45 minutes because of the engine problem, airline director Jerry Seah said.

The plane landed safely back in France at 5.45 p.m. (1545 GMT) and the passengers were sent to hotels as the airline tried to lay on an alternative flight for them.

Seah told Reuters he believed it was the first time the plane had suffered such a problem since it had started operating the Singapore-Paris route earlier this year.

The giant jet, built by Airbus <EAD.PA>, is designed to continue flying with only three engines, but came back to Paris as a safety precaution.

The engines on the Singapore A380s are built by Britain's Rolls Royce Group <RR.L>. (Reporting by Jean Baptiste Vey, writing by Crispian Balmer; editing by Elizabeth Fullerton)

↡ Advertisement

can't blame the new plane... there's always a day where machines break down...

The plane should be able to continue flying as even the 747-400 could still continue flying safely even if there's two engines that malfunction... i guess they took the precaution to avoid any unneccessary trouble..

[thumbsup]

if im the passenger its scary to fly w 3 engines...coz wat if another shut down? lol

woah must be so sick if i have to fly back to paris after 2 hrs+ on flight, looking fwd home...deja vu feeling man.

Neutral Newbie

maybe pilot was a chinese cantonese. One engine down he immediately turn around with no questions asked!

Edited by Zyr0

if im the passenger its scary to fly w 3 engines...coz wat if another shut down? lol

woah must be so sick if i have to fly back to paris after 2 hrs+ on flight, looking fwd home...deja vu feeling man.

If you fly a two engine aircraft how ah?

Only one engine running if the other one decided to rest.

Think better stay at home :blink:

can't blame the new plane... there's always a day where machines break down...

The plane should be able to continue flying as even the 747-400 could still continue flying safely even if there's two engines that malfunction... i guess they took the precaution to avoid any unneccessary trouble..

[thumbsup]

but A380 is much bigger plane. maybe 2 engine cannot maintain lift and airspeed for A380.

fly back paris better lor...at least still got things to do there...

imagine wait till half way down above african/middle east country and need to land....i will faint.

maybe pilot was a chinese cantonese. One engine down he immediately turn around with no questions asked!

wat has this gotta do if a cantonese? u mean a hakka or hokkien will turn around after asking questions? and a teochew will keep on flying without questions? i cannot see where u r coming from.

wat has this gotta do if a cantonese? u mean a hakka or hokkien will turn around after asking questions? and a teochew will keep on flying without questions? i cannot see where u r coming from.

The Cantonese way of saying 444 sounds like die die die. Chill, if you cannot understand the joke.

Edited by Watwheels