Question about Malay names

Ahtong

If I am not wrong, Malay names like Mohd, Noor and Abdul are actually a prefix right?

So what is the proper way of addressing someone with a prefixed name? Must I say "Abdul xxxxxx" or is xxxxxx enough?

And what is the meaning of these prefixes? Can anyone have them or is there some requirement?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

"Prefix" is like their first name. You can just call them by their second name, in your terms "xxxxxxxx". They are usually ok with it.

Just don't call them by their last name as it is their father's name.

mohd can b a 'prefix' or can b on its own. for abdul n noor...they will hv a second name. like abdul rahim, noor ali....

so...u can call them by either name. cos both names belong to that same person. but mostly ppl will call using the second name...like if mohd ali, ppl will call him ali. abdul rahim, will b called rahim. it's not a requirement. if translated into arab, some of these name will compliment each other. some don. but they do hv their own meaning.

This is the problem I have. Let's say someone's full name is Abdul xxxxx bin yyyyy.

I straight away know that yyyy is the father's name.

But what if it is just written as Abdul xxxxx? Can I always assume that Abdul is the prefix? Is it possible that he is just Abdul and his father is xxxxx?

If I am not wrong, Malay names like Mohd, Noor and Abdul are actually a prefix right?

So what is the proper way of addressing someone with a prefixed name? Must I say "Abdul xxxxxx" or is xxxxxx enough?

And what is the meaning of these prefixes? Can anyone have them or is there some requirement?

I usually ask them how they like me to address them whenever I see long names. Especially eastern Europe names and Thai names, some of them i really don't know how to pronounce.

I think it's polite to ask cos some of them may prefer to be called a certain way to differentiate themselves from their brothers who might have the same prefix.

Edited by Ultramega

mohd can b a 'prefix' or can b on its own. for abdul n noor...they will hv a second name. like abdul rahim, noor ali....

so...u can call them by either name. cos both names belong to that same person. but mostly ppl will call using the second name...like if mohd ali, ppl will call him ali. abdul rahim, will b called rahim. it's not a requirement. if translated into arab, some of these name will compliment each other. some don. but they do hv their own meaning.

Funny you quoted an example using my name; not a popular name by my account hahahah

"Prefix" is like their first name. You can just call them by their second name, in your terms "xxxxxxxx". They are usually ok with it.

Just don't call them by their last name as it is their father's name.

Same for Indians as well... "Bin / Bte is same as S/o or D/o (Son of / Daughter of) but do take note that some prefer to be called by their fathers' name eg Mohd Noor Bin Affendy - this pal of mie prefers to be called Affendy.[rolleyes]

Neutral Newbie

Yup...I agree to asking them how wld they like to be addressed...

I used to hav an assistant....her name is Noorlina bte XXXXX but she wan me to call her Noi....she felt more comfy.

Yes, cos Mohd Noor is guy's name, but just calling him "Noor" is a bit girlish name :D

So that's probably why he prefers "Affendy" :D

Not really. There'll always be exceptions. If you know the ex-int'l footballer, Abdullah Noor, he's called Noor by his pals. All said, it's best to ask.

there are quite a few who have grown fond of their pet names given since they were small.in fact most malays i know have pet names given by their families.but it depends on their preference on what they want you to call their name..

Know a guy name Syed Hussien Tan where he is not a Chinese convert.Dunno why his father gave Tan?Tan Sri maybe?

Chinese Muslim converts here retain their surnames. So this guy's father or grandfather could be the one who converted initially.

It's definitely not a Tan Sri (the MYsian honorary title) as it should prefix a person's name and this title is not heritable (father can't pass title onto son). It has to be earned and bestowed by the Sultan.

Then why angmohs call bin laden? calling his father name sia.

because ang mohs die-die insist must have surname refuse to accept that some cultures are different from them. they thus insist 'bin XXX' is the muslim man's surname. muslim names have no surname.

Edited by Mechwira
↡ Advertisement