Australia: Car Rental in Perth

Tjkbeluga

why should take different routes? The scenery is nice? With so many on board, heavy responsibility, scared lost leh...

oh.. one suggestion for you.. if you have local GPS set... go look for any IT experts... if they can help you install garmin maps... 

u dont need to pay for the rental of the GPS...  my local set has auzzie and nz maps.. works like a peach

↡ Advertisement

agree on using the small road rather than highway. Give yourself more time for stops along the way in those small towns, have a bite at their cafe or deli and explore the town. spend a night in between instead of rushing back within a day.

bo pian.. underestimated the drive to and from milford sound.. accomodation was at wanaka mah...

juz came back last week... so ... that scary drive still quite vivid...

:TT_TT:

I stayed at the town outside Milford sound. Can't remember the name. The drive to and from from Milford sound is Dam shack. I was totally exhausted after the cruise and the stop overs to see mirror Lake and the water fall etc. I could drive back to to Queenstown but to wanaka is madness.

old folks very traditional mah... 

different routes to try and avoid the monotonous drive

i drove to leeuwin via highway 10.. and took the cave roads back up to eagle bay area.. stopping and one of the caves for a visit.. 

its not that hard a drive... simple straight and flat routes... 

I think we'll go supermarket a lot (that's what happened when we went gold coast), but didn't boil soup then leh...

Also, keep drinking soup with long drives can be a problem or not? Along the way got toilets or not one? My mother might need more frequent visits to the loo... and maybe my son...

I almost fell asleep driving to busselton and when I was coming back. Their highway is really monotonous. Don't see crap except Bush.

Theres also no natural stopping areas unlike driving in USA or Nz.

aiyoh... talking of this, i had a number of times during the gold coast trip (the only time we rented a car) where i almost fell asleep, usually after lunch... I told my wife this time round, must cater to me taking short power naps after lunch, else too dangerous... old liao jialat...

oh.. one suggestion for you.. if you have local GPS set... go look for any IT experts... if they can help you install garmin maps... 

u dont need to pay for the rental of the GPS...  my local set has auzzie and nz maps.. works like a peach

i have a small garmin, but long time no use liao... wonder whether still can use.

Really, IT experts can install aussie maps? How they do it?

i was thinking of buying sim cards there and using google maps, which was what we did previously...

oh, btw, carnival got cruise control or not huh? is it useful and advisable?

I think we'll go supermarket a lot (that's what happened when we went gold coast), but didn't boil soup then leh...

Also, keep drinking soup with long drives can be a problem or not? Along the way got toilets or not one? My mother might need more frequent visits to the loo... and maybe my son...

aiyoh... talking of this, i had a number of times during the gold coast trip (the only time we rented a car) where i almost fell asleep, usually after lunch... I told my wife this time round, must cater to me taking short power naps after lunch, else too dangerous... old liao jialat...

i have a small garmin, but long time no use liao... wonder whether still can use.

Really, IT experts can install aussie maps? How they do it?

i was thinking of buying sim cards there and using google maps, which was what we did previously...

oh, btw, carnival got cruise control or not huh? is it useful and advisable?

Certain parts to the south around Margaret River region along the cave roads no signal one. But I guess one straight road also won't really get lost. The light house region also no reception for my provider.

The big rental companies their cars should be speced out. Cruise control should be in most cars.

On the insurance, is it bought together with the rental, or with travel insurance?

What type insurance is recommended?

hmm... Klugger is SUV right? is it easier to climb in c.f. large MPV? MPV being taller should be quite easy I'll think, no? Also, the iMax can adjust 2nd row seats too, and I'll imagine other large MPVs also should be able to adjust a bit front/back...

Get zero excess one. Maybe more ex but peace of mind, no worry and they also wont check the cat when u return

Klugger got 2 type: 5&7 seater.

If based on ur need maybe carnival better cos ur girl quite tall. But my elder can climb klugger easier as compared to imax or alphard

Certain parts to the south around Margaret River region along the cave roads no signal one. But I guess one straight road also won't really get lost. The light house region also no reception for my provider.

The big rental companies their cars should be speced out. Cruise control should be in most cars.

wah no signal...  [sweatdrop]

then must really wait for advice on how to load aussie map liao... 

solly, what you meant speced out?

i don't recall the iMax we rented in Gold Coast had cruise control, though. maybe cos i ignorant, don't know how to use it (have never driven a car with it before)...

Is cruise control useful there, and how to use huh? just set it, let go accelerator and put the leg near brake and only when want to change speed then step the pedals (mostly brake), right?

Get zero excess one. Maybe more ex but peace of mind, no worry and they also wont check the cat when u return

Klugger got 2 type: 5&7 seater.

If based on ur need maybe carnival better cos ur girl quite tall. But my elder can climb klugger easier as compared to imax or alphard

ok tks...

yup, likely will get zero excess. Think we got that too, cos last time when return the car, also never checked. In fact, just cleared all luggage, armed the iMax with tailgate still open, left key inside one corner, then shut the tailgate. The guy said he'll only go to the airport next morning to pick it up...

yup, think suv sure not enough space. Will need a purpose-built mpv. my girl was shorter than my wife at the beginning of the year; now taller liao. scared Dec will be taller again...  [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

wah no signal... [sweatdrop]

i don't recall the iMax we rented in Gold Coast had cruise control, though. maybe cos i ignorant, don't know how to use it (have never driven a car with it before)...

Is cruise control useful there, and how to use huh? just set it, let go accelerator and put the leg near brake and only when want to change speed then step the pedals (mostly brake), right?

I mean the rental cars have quite decent specs in terms of stuff they think customers want. Cruise control should be quite common in newer models.

Have to activate cruise control. Then plus speed until a certain speed then set the speed. Once u set it, can take your foot off accelerator. Only have to monitor the brakes.

U can find the Garmin maps on ahem sources. It's quite simple to load them onto the SD card as long as it's the correct folder.

I can't remember much Liao.did this 2 years ago. Google should be easy.

wah no signal...  [sweatdrop]

ok tks...

yup, likely will get zero excess. Think we got that too, cos last time when return the car, also never checked. In fact, just cleared all luggage, armed the iMax with tailgate still open, left key inside one corner, then shut the tailgate. The guy said he'll only go to the airport next morning to pick it up...

yup, think suv sure not enough space. Will need a purpose-built mpv. my girl was shorter than my wife at the beginning of the year; now taller liao. scared Dec will be taller again...  [sweatdrop]

You can try renting Tarago from Bays Water Car Rental. It is the same as Estima in Singapore and the middle row can be adjusted for whatever legroom you want for 2nd and 3rd row. The vehicles there are all relatively new. Rental is cheap and excess are low. AUD 500 as compare to other bigger brands which will usually be in thousands. Don't need to cover fully for zero excess. Just buy travel insurance with car rental excess coverage of >$500 you are safe. That is what I always do when I rent with Bays Water. The only downside is they don't have car at airport. Need to collect it from CBD. Don't use cruise control if you are not familiar with it. For long distance drive, you will have the tendency to fall asleep using cruise control as we are not used to long distance drive in Singapore.

For GPS, use google map in your phone. Just get Optus sim card with the AUD 2 per day plan. I drove from Perth city to Margaret River area and to Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse with not much problem. Only problem is outside the lighthouse area the coverage is a bit bad but no issue with that. Been using this for 5 Australia self drive trips. 2 times Melbourne and 3 times Perth. Most recent is last year December Melbourne trip and this year June Perth trip.

I loved self drive trip in Australia. Better than driving here in Singapore. Keep to the speed limit at all times if possible. Their TP is a lot more on the ball than our TP here when comes to speeding. At outskirt remote area, they use helicopter to chase speeding vehicle.

bo pian.. underestimated the drive to and from milford sound.. accomodation was at wanaka mah...

juz came back last week... so ... that scary drive still quite vivid...

:TT_TT:

Hi bro, u just came back from NZ last week?

I am going there next month for a week. Any recommendations?

Hi all

Just to confirm, do we need International driving license in Australia?

thank you.

Singapore DL is in English, so you don't need international DL in Australia.  

• Praise 2

You can try renting Tarago from Bays Water Car Rental. It is the same as Estima in Singapore and the middle row can be adjusted for whatever legroom you want for 2nd and 3rd row. The vehicles there are all relatively new. Rental is cheap and excess are low. AUD 500 as compare to other bigger brands which will usually be in thousands. Don't need to cover fully for zero excess. Just buy travel insurance with car rental excess coverage of >$500 you are safe. That is what I always do when I rent with Bays Water. The only downside is they don't have car at airport. Need to collect it from CBD. Don't use cruise control if you are not familiar with it. For long distance drive, you will have the tendency to fall asleep using cruise control as we are not used to long distance drive in Singapore.

For GPS, use google map in your phone. Just get Optus sim card with the AUD 2 per day plan. I drove from Perth city to Margaret River area and to Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse with not much problem. Only problem is outside the lighthouse area the coverage is a bit bad but no issue with that. Been using this for 5 Australia self drive trips. 2 times Melbourne and 3 times Perth. Most recent is last year December Melbourne trip and this year June Perth trip.

I loved self drive trip in Australia. Better than driving here in Singapore. Keep to the speed limit at all times if possible. Their TP is a lot more on the ball than our TP here when comes to speeding. At outskirt remote area, they use helicopter to chase speeding vehicle.

Get Telstra if possible. Optus little Chui on Perth coverage. They have those 20-30$ with 1gb of data and voice or u see what their promo.

No birds is cheaper but troublesome need to take their bus out.

Hi all

Just to confirm, do we need International driving license in Australia?

thank you.

Best to rent from Redspot. Get Top Dog package, their package includes full insurance, E-tac. so much cheaper than AVIS, Hertz...

↡ Advertisement