Australia: Car Rental in Perth

Tjkbeluga

U guys know that you can download offline maps for Google Maps right? I did that for the almost the whole of South Island NZ.

↡ Advertisement

yes, optus signal is not that good outside city

it's cheap for a reason

for map i use navii (free) [thumbsup] ] for IOS and Android

it's offline map with gos no need data plan

google map is backup for hard to find places

Gosh, thanks for highlighting Optus not that great outside city. Exactly how poor was your experience leh? Our singtel really disappointing...

What app did you say you use as free offline map? My family is all using Android and doesn't have iOS...

U guys know that you can download offline maps for Google Maps right? I did that for the almost the whole of South Island NZ.

Yes, but can it do navigation real-time while on the move huh? Will it be too slow?

better not rely on mobile data cos most network will be weak when you drive out of the city. heard Telstra is the better one.

use the offline map apps with gps is good enough.

So far i've been recommended Optus and Vodafone, not yet heard about Telstra. Is it available at Perth airport?

Also, what offline map apps with GPS is good for Android?

xie xie...

So far i've been recommended Optus and Vodafone, not yet heard about Telstra. Is it available at Perth airport?

Also, what offline map apps with GPS is good for Android?

xie xie...

Telstra is definitely a better one even on the road, google the review online. They dun have it at airport.

I bought Vodafone at airport, never get to use it on the road cos no signal except when you reach bigger town like Margaret river or Albany, but then signal was weak most of the time.  I was on iphone last time but i guess most of the 4* apps should be good enough. Download now and start to add the favorite place that you want to visit, do it here before you travel to save time. 

Can check with you:

Did you self-drive in/around Perth too? And so, did you use google map on the data of the optus card? Was the signal/data reliable outside of Perth?

Wifey read some on-line review saying Optus signal not so good outside of Perth... Like to ascertain this...

tks...

I will be there 1-12 Dec. What about you?

Which card is it that you'll be getting?

I will be there 2-9 Dec. 

My brother recommended this:

https://www.changirecommends.com/owifi.aspx

$12/day, collect and return at Changi airport.  No need to get SIM card etc - it will automatically connect when you arrive in Australia.  So, I will be getting this instead and will not need to go get an Optus SIM card.

Telstra is definitely a better one even on the road, google the review online. They dun have it at airport.

I bought Vodafone at airport, never get to use it on the road cos no signal except when you reach bigger town like Margaret river or Albany, but then signal was weak most of the time.  I was on iphone last time but i guess most of the 4* apps should be good enough. Download now and start to add the favorite place that you want to visit, do it here before you travel to save time. 

huh, vodafone so bad? and if optus is worse, then jialat lah...

I remembered last time i went Gold coast, even outskirt areas also the signal was good. Can't remember which telco though.

what's 4* apps huh?

At least no problem for me when I am driving from city to city. Some place there was no signal and it will switch to offline maps. Of course it won't be able give you traffic update since no data.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

OK. Will download this too...

I will be there 2-9 Dec. 

$12/day, collect and return at Changi airport.  No need to get SIM card etc - it will automatically connect when you arrive in Australia.  So, I will be getting this instead and will not need to go get an Optus SIM card.

ha ha... ok. 

Yup, heard about this too. But it's gonna be $132 for us if we take this (with first day free i think). If can get a card that works decently ok, can easily save ~$100 lor...

Remember to do it on wifi only! Else your mobile data jialat sia...haha.

tks. Saw this on the instruction too - but don't quite understand.

Does it mean download the offline map now only on wifi (and not data), so no need eat my SGP data?

Or over there? But over there if i get the SIM card, sure will be on data and there'll be no wifi to begin with... so dun understand...

Oh, and now wife said she read that for some SIM cards, they do not allow tethering? Is that true? Then my plan to use the phone with Aussie SIM to be hotspot for all the gadgets we're bringing, will be down the drain...

Does anyone have any experience or know anything about this?

• Praise 1

Oh, and now wife said she read that for some SIM cards, they do not allow tethering? Is that true? Then my plan to use the phone with Aussie SIM to be hotspot for all the gadgets we're bringing, will be down the drain...

Does anyone have any experience or know anything about this?

4* apps i was refer to android app that has 4* rating.

the SIM card should be fine to tether, iPhone is good to use as hotspot for all phone, i have problem using android phone as hot spot for iphone.

ha ha... ok.

Yup, heard about this too. But it's gonna be $132 for us if we take this (with first day free i think). If can get a card that works decently ok, can easily save ~$100 lor...

tks. Saw this on the instruction too - but don't quite understand.

Does it mean download the offline map now only on wifi (and not data), so no need eat my SGP data?

Or over there? But over there if i get the SIM card, sure will be on data and there'll be no wifi to begin with... so dun understand...

Download the maps a few days before you go for the trip at your home or office wifi. It's valid for 30 days.

I will be there 2-9 Dec. 

certain sim cards from changi recomxxxd is so damn expensive.

not worth it.

there are so many telco shops when u touch down Australia.

u can find it at Airport or downtown shops only at a fraction of what you are paying 

4* apps i was refer to android app that has 4* rating.

the SIM card should be fine to tether, iPhone is good to use as hotspot for all phone, i have problem using android phone as hot spot for iphone.

i see. ok. will find some...

Download the maps a few days before you go for the trip at your home or office wifi. It's valid for 30 days.

ok. got it. 

That will be these 2 days only... will prob do so tonight.

tks...

2nd day after landing in Perth yest. The rental company we eventually rented a vehicle from, isn't very good. We rented a Tarago, and they gave us an iMax, which is probably good/necessary as we took quite a lot of luggage with us so Tarago would have been a stretch in terms of luggage space anyway. But the Tarago condition was just not ideal. Told us to wait `15 min outside airport to pick us up to the company to register, but waited about 35 min instead. And the darn company was more than 30 min away. Just too bad we left it late and panicked and picked this company...

Drove from ~5.30 pm onwards to Furgueson Farmstay, and boy what a drive. Unfamiliar place, unfamiliar car, unfamiliar traffic, no street light most of the way, and cos it was getting late, i decided to go above the speed limit a bit most of the journey, and finally arrive - hungry and cold - at about 8.30 pm. Place was pitch dark. Amazed myself at what I did.

Lots of flies... can't stand them...

We got the Optus AUS$20 card, as we couldn't find telstra at the airport...

2nd day after landing in Perth yest. The rental company we eventually rented a vehicle from, isn't very good. We rented a Tarago, and they gave us an iMax, which is probably good/necessary as we took quite a lot of luggage with us so Tarago would have been a stretch in terms of luggage space anyway. But the Tarago condition was just not ideal. Told us to wait `15 min outside airport to pick us up to the company to register, but waited about 35 min instead. And the darn company was more than 30 min away. Just too bad we left it late and panicked and picked this company...

Drove from ~5.30 pm onwards to Furgueson Farmstay, and boy what a drive. Unfamiliar place, unfamiliar car, unfamiliar traffic, no street light most of the way, and cos it was getting late, i decided to go above the speed limit a bit most of the journey, and finally arrive - hungry and cold - at about 8.30 pm. Place was pitch dark. Amazed myself at what I did.

Lots of flies... can't stand them...

We got the Optus AUS$20 card, as we couldn't find telstra at the airport...

I Guess you referring to n* bird. remember to get full insurance coverage. I saw on Corolla last week scratch his side and mirror broken which I guess fallen asleep while driving.

Driving at night need some attention there especially along bushy roads as kangaroo will just pop out and kill themselves towards your head lamp. But cruel advice is just kill it the local advise.

You should drive with high beam and dimp it when you see opposite traffic approaching and then on back when pass this way u get to see more road and kangaroo.

Speeding now is not advisable as they are high on speeding as some smart locals complaint.

Offline GPS you can try "here maps" for iphone donno for android if there is.

For the flies there nothing you can do only thing is when it's cold you can Kungfu fight the houseflies as they are slower and retarded.

Edited by Victorco