Australia: Car Rental in Perth

Tjkbeluga

If you want to take the risk, just get cover by the travel insurance will do.

the country so big and not many car, just drive carefully and dun hit anything, chances of being hit also quite slim.  

my travel insurance only covers $1k of car rental excess.. need to discuss with the family to see if everyone is comfortable with that.. or if they prefer full coverage..

hahaha.. accidents can happen even when one is super careful ya? *crossing fingers*

↡ Advertisement

nice! my family is planning a trip end Nov, can you share your iti? we should be renting from Hertz (35% off with Marriott discount). For 10pax, we are planning to rent 2 cars but the additional excess coverage is so ex! trying to find other ways to work around it. 

my itineray is pretty standard, but I did not drive far as my boys get restless very fast ...... 

Fremantle, Swan Valley area and Perth city area. I did stay in a non-working farm at Swan Valley for 3 nights. Went to Pinnacles & Lancelin (Sand dunes) and that took up one whole day. IMO, not worth it cos the drive is really long at 2.5hrs and I'm not a great fan of such natural sights. prefer the beach .... Talking about beach, Cottlesloe Beach is nice to chill out .... 

yeah, the excess is crazy ! I would really recommend to get the insurance from Tripcover as the cost of it is less than the cost of a meal there ....... Peace of Mind. To clarify, Tripcover is a 3rd party, so in the event of any accident, you still would have to pay Hertz, then claim from Tripcover. Just for info, they are underwritten by Allianz. 

Oh, there is a Caltex station (961-963 Abernethy Rd, High Wycombe WA 6057) just behind the airport, so don't need to hunt ard before handing over and will ensure the petrol gauge reads FULL. 

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 3

my travel insurance only covers $1k of car rental excess.. need to discuss with the family to see if everyone is comfortable with that.. or if they prefer full coverage..

hahaha.. accidents can happen even when one is super careful ya? *crossing fingers*

I was also pondering.. then decided to take full coverage at Hertz Perth.. heng ah coz on the way to airport kena bang from belakang by truck at traffic light (think he couldn't stop in time-tailgate). lucky not so serious but then bumper lights gone.. dented..

so point is get full cover.. get an suv..

• Praise 2

If you want to take the risk, just get cover by the travel insurance will do.

the country so big and not many car, just drive carefully and dun hit anything, chances of being hit also quite slim.  

I usually get travel insurance that covers the excess, but this round the Aussie ones and really very high. Well, that's how they earn from the renters since their car rental prices are quite cheap IMO. Cost to cover the excess can amount to same costs as car itself !! 

• Praise 2

I usually get travel insurance that covers the excess, but this round the Aussie ones and really very high. Well, that's how they earn from the renters since their car rental prices are quite cheap IMO. Cost to cover the excess can amount to same costs as car itself !!

precisely like double the rental, i just drive super careful and 求神拜佛 nothing happen, and dun drive after sunset   [laugh]  [laugh]

my itineray is pretty standard, but I did not drive far as my boys get restless very fast ...... 

Fremantle, Swan Valley area and Perth city area. I did stay in a non-working farm at Swan Valley for 3 nights. Went to Pinnacles & Lancelin (Sand dunes) and that took up one whole day. IMO, not worth it cos the drive is really long at 2.5hrs and I'm not a great fan of such natural sights. prefer the beach .... Talking about beach, Cottlesloe Beach is nice to chill out .... 

yeah, the excess is crazy ! I would really recommend to get the insurance from Tripcover as the cost of it is less than the cost of a meal there ....... Peace of Mind. To clarify, Tripcover is a 3rd party, so in the event of any accident, you still would have to pay Hertz, then claim from Tripcover. Just for info, they are underwritten by Allianz. 

Oh, there is a Caltex station (961-963 Abernethy Rd, High Wycombe WA 6057) just behind the airport, so don't need to hunt ard before handing over and will ensure the petrol gauge reads FULL. 

Thanks i read about these 3rd party coverage last time but decided to take the risk last time i visit. Since it's reasonably priced, will consider in future.

precisely like double the rental, i just drive super careful and 求神拜佛 nothing happen, and dun drive after sunset   [laugh]  [laugh]

IMO very safe over there. life is slower there. No tail gating. There's jams but not bumper to bumper.

thanks for sharing.. we are staying at Joondalup which is quite far away from major attractions! needs careful planning so that we wont have much wasted time there..

this tripcover is AU insurance company right? in the event that needs to claim (choi choi choi), will be quite troublesome right? though i saw we can submit claims through email. 

[thumbsup] on the petrol station! 

Wah ... Bayswater still around.

Yup. Friends and I have rented from them before a couple of times long ago.

No issues.

Head office is in Perth so they are "local" Western Australia company.

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 2

i found a much cheaper AU car rental company.

https://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au/perth/car-hire#all-specials

did any bros rent from this company before? anything reviews or things i should lookout for?

I just rent a 2017 corolla hb from Bayswater for 2 weeks in WA this April, paid full excess coverage for piece of mind, they r good, no fuss no chut pattern, will use them again on my next trip to aussie.

• Praise 2

Better rent early if you're going for cars that are not so common.

We needed a MPV (7 or 8 seater, even though there were only 6 of us) with lots of luggage space, and while there were a lot initially, when it was within 3 weeks of our trip, we found most of them were no longer available. In the end, found a company called ACE which a suitable one, but needed to collect car from it's office which was not in the airport itself. They provided pick-up and sent us to the airport, but it wasn't as convenient as getting the car and returning at the airport itself. Rates were ok, and they were also not particular when returning, even though we didn't take their full coverage - we just bought AXA travel insurance which i think provided the highest rental excess.

Do you have any vehicle in mind? The 10 pax are all adults? My needed more space, so while we had found a Tarago initially, we chose a iMax when we reached there as we found the Tarago to be not big enough for the many luggages we had. And the kids (11 & 13) were quite tall so wanted more space - they'll probably make noise throughout if they had to sit shoulder to shoulder.

And btw, if you're planning to go to the Pinnacles, then i would suggest to get some newspaper or thick cloths to cover the window/glass from the sun's glare. In our case, for the 2-3 hr drive there in the morning and 2-3 hr drive back in the afternoon, the sun was on the right side of the car both times, and my son on the 3rd row was trying - to no avail - to find ways to block the strong sun's glare. Even with sunglasses and aircon, he couldn't tahan and kept complaining... Simple way i figured is to get masking tape and stick newspaper there, as third row has no windows. 

Oh, i also dun recommend going Pinnacles.

• Praise 2

i found a much cheaper AU car rental company.

https://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au/perth/car-hire#all-specials

did any bros rent from this company before? anything reviews or things i should lookout for?

i think they dun have a counter and cars to pick up at airport.

Generally good reviews for No Birds, but really you won't go wrong with any of the big guys. Their fleet new and cars look clean. Saw many No Birds Corolla hatch and Estima.

ya. If no kid I don't mind but got kids and barang barang still must take shuttle. And do check your arrival day and time. I remember their office close at noon on Sat ? 

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1

Can try europcar

Twice I got free upgrade from them.

1st time booked Volvo xc60 but no stock and upgraded me to Toyota Kluger

2nd time booked a Toyota RAV4 and no stock again and upgraded me to Toyota kluger again.

If not can try thrifty which is cheaper than hertz or europcar supposingly.all 3 have counters at the airport.the only advantage for Changi rewards wifi is unlimited data but speed sucks and quite unstable when travel down south and east to Albany.

Recommend to get a Telstra just in case for standby, they have the best coverage in oz but still when you are away from the city center you have may problem getting 3/4g network regardless of which telco especially in the reserves area down south.

Those cops are sneaky there, hiding behind dustbin with their speed guns, you can't see them until you drove past the bins, keep to limit especially in city area like Perth.

Edited by Chinablue
  • Praise 2

i think they dun have a counter and cars to pick up at airport.

No, Bayswater does not have an airport counter in Perth airport.

Only the usual suspects ... Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, Europcar (National), Budget ...

I used to favor Hertz when I had a VIP card, or National which I could enjoy corporate rates. But if kenna langar without insurance coverage, their excesses can be very high.

I found a compromise in Thrifty nowadays ... flying there about twice a year to visit my relatives.

Only the usual suspects ... Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, Europcar (National), Budget ...

I used to favor Hertz when I had a VIP card, or National which I could enjoy corporate rates. But if kenna langar without insurance coverage, their excesses can be very high.

I found a compromise in Thrifty nowadays ... flying there about twice a year to visit my relatives.

Renting from Bayswater would mean loading family and luggage from the airport to city.

For certain flights ETA morning, would need placing our luggage at hotel concierge until 2pm check in, if all other rooms are full (not our preference).

With a rental car from airport, we'd just leave the luggage in the rental car and go for breakfast / lunch.

• Praise 2

Renting from Bayswater would mean loading family and luggage from the airport to city.

For certain flights ETA morning, would need placing our luggage at hotel concierge until 2pm check in, if all other rooms are full (not our preference).

With a rental car from airport, we'd just leave the luggage in the rental car and go for breakfast / lunch.

When we were there last year, the rental company sent a car to pick us up to go to their office outside airport to pick up our car. The driver along the way warned us not to leave luggage inside the car, as it could invite break-ins. He said ever since Perth's economy deteriorated (didn't catch exactly from when), there have been increased crimes, and told us there are even people near Christmas period who purposely follow those courier vehicles to see where they go deliver gifts and leave them just outside the house if no-one is at home. The thieves can recognise which are valuable stuff (iPads, iPhones, etc.), and will steal them...

Made us worried. But there were a few times when moving from one place (of stay) to another when we had no choice but to leave the luggage in the vehicle, but we (the car) survived. It was a MPV, so the luggage can be seen from the rear windscreen and windows.

• Praise 2

Better rent early if you're going for cars that are not so common.

We needed a MPV (7 or 8 seater, even though there were only 6 of us) with lots of luggage space, and while there were a lot initially, when it was within 3 weeks of our trip, we found most of them were no longer available. In the end, found a company called ACE which a suitable one, but needed to collect car from it's office which was not in the airport itself. They provided pick-up and sent us to the airport, but it wasn't as convenient as getting the car and returning at the airport itself. Rates were ok, and they were also not particular when returning, even though we didn't take their full coverage - we just bought AXA travel insurance which i think provided the highest rental excess.

Do you have any vehicle in mind? The 10 pax are all adults? My needed more space, so while we had found a Tarago initially, we chose a iMax when we reached there as we found the Tarago to be not big enough for the many luggages we had. And the kids (11 & 13) were quite tall so wanted more space - they'll probably make noise throughout if they had to sit shoulder to shoulder.

And btw, if you're planning to go to the Pinnacles, then i would suggest to get some newspaper or thick cloths to cover the window/glass from the sun's glare. In our case, for the 2-3 hr drive there in the morning and 2-3 hr drive back in the afternoon, the sun was on the right side of the car both times, and my son on the 3rd row was trying - to no avail - to find ways to block the strong sun's glare. Even with sunglasses and aircon, he couldn't tahan and kept complaining... Simple way i figured is to get masking tape and stick newspaper there, as third row has no windows.

Oh, i also dun recommend going Pinnacles.

thank u bros for your comments!! deffo noted that their collection/dropoff isnt at airport. my party is 7A3C and was thinking of a tarago and rav4 combi to cater for all luggages and child seats. kids will be too young to complaining about the sun and heat. the oldest is 6?

we were thinking of going pinnnacles to see the rocks but not the sand dunes. thinking that its a waste of time travelling to see sand as we are not taking their 4wd rides. can share why u dont recommend pinnacles?

When we were there last year, the rental company sent a car to pick us up to go to their office outside airport to pick up our car. The driver along the way warned us not to leave luggage inside the car, as it could invite break-ins. He said ever since Perth's economy deteriorated (didn't catch exactly from when), there have been increased crimes, and told us there are even people near Christmas period who purposely follow those courier vehicles to see where they go deliver gifts and leave them just outside the house if no-one is at home. The thieves can recognise which are valuable stuff (iPads, iPhones, etc.), and will steal them...

Made us worried. But there were a few times when moving from one place (of stay) to another when we had no choice but to leave the luggage in the vehicle, but we (the car) survived. It was a MPV, so the luggage can be seen from the rear windscreen and windows.

hahha. now you got me worried!

Can try europcar

2nd time booked a Toyota RAV4 and no stock again and upgraded me to Toyota kluger again.

If not can try thrifty which is cheaper than hertz or europcar supposingly.all 3 have counters at the airport.the only advantage for Changi rewards wifi is unlimited data but speed sucks and quite unstable when travel down south and east to Albany.

Recommend to get a Telstra just in case for standby, they have the best coverage in oz but still when you are away from the city center you have may problem getting 3/4g network regardless of which telco especially in the reserves area down south.

Those cops are sneaky there, hiding behind dustbin with their speed guns, you can't see them until you drove past the bins, keep to limit especially in city area like Perth.

thanks bro. am considering whether to get simcard or changi wifi. now with ur advice, probably going to get both! hahah

Can try europcar

thanks bro. am considering whether to get simcard or changi wifi. now with ur advice, probably going to get both! hahah.

yes, heard about the strict speed limit. already warned the drivers in the group. strictly no speeding!! no way to zao the fine. cos my bil had a friend who did. the letter came to find him in SG, all the way from AU! and he got to pay for the additional admin fees etc.

Generally good reviews for No Birds, but really you won't go wrong with any of the big guys. Their fleet new and cars look clean. Saw many No Birds Corolla hatch and Estima.

ya. If no kid I don't mind but got kids and barang barang still must take shuttle. And do check your arrival day and time. I remember their office close at noon on Sat ?

thanks bro! No Birds is one of the big guys? icic

3 younger kids!! i guess it will be an experience of a lifetime to take shuttle and lug the luggages along? lol. i hope we dont missout any luggages along the way (or any kids!)

we will arrive on Mon and depart on Sun. will check out their opening hours!

thank u bros for your comments!! deffo noted that their collection/dropoff isnt at airport. my party is 7A3C and was thinking of a tarago and rav4 combi to cater for all luggages and child seats. kids will be too young to complaining about the sun and heat. the oldest is 6?

we were thinking of going pinnnacles to see the rocks but not the sand dunes. thinking that its a waste of time travelling to see sand as we are not taking their 4wd rides. can share why u dont recommend pinnacles?

hahha. now you got me worried!

thanks bro. am considering whether to get simcard or changi wifi. now with ur advice, probably going to get both! hahah

thanks bro. am considering whether to get simcard or changi wifi. now with ur advice, probably going to get both! hahah.

yes, heard about the strict speed limit. already warned the drivers in the group. strictly no speeding!! no way to zao the fine. cos my bil had a friend who did. the letter came to find him in SG, all the way from AU! and he got to pay for the additional admin fees etc.

thanks bro! No Birds is one of the big guys? icic

3 younger kids!! i guess it will be an experience of a lifetime to take shuttle and lug the luggages along? lol. i hope we dont missout any luggages along the way (or any kids!)

we will arrive on Mon and depart on Sun. will check out their opening hours!

Pinnacles is one wonder not to be missed.. you can actually drive into the desert to see the formations.. lancelin sand dunes is fun for teenagers.. surfing down the sand dunes damn shiok.. but the walk up.. and if got time find your way to lobster shack just about 15km from pinnacles..

Water Bay I tried but not really the diff (overall) compared to the usual suspects. The taxi into town and then back to airport.. not as free and easy having a drop off.. cost differential not big la..

I am on SingTel and I just subscribe to their 1G data roam.

Point is.. you are there to enjoy the hols not to do admin work.. getting a car in town, finding a Telstra.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1