Australia: Car Rental in Perth

Tjkbeluga

Turbocharged

hi folks,

i'm travelling to melbourne and intend to rent a car for a family of 4. we will have 2 x large luggage.

now i'm wondering if to rent a toyota camry or a 5 seater SUV (kluger). Preference is a toyota camry but the question is - the boot is big enough to fit 2 x large luggage?

Camry boot is quite large, definitely can fit.. SUV definitely more comfortable though..

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

hi folks,

i'm travelling to melbourne and intend to rent a car for a family of 4. we will have 2 x large luggage.

now i'm wondering if to rent a toyota camry or a 5 seater SUV (kluger). Preference is a toyota camry but the question is - the boot is big enough to fit 2 x large luggage?

Any executive sedan is able to fit two large suitcases. Or else the rental Co also not gong kia, buy such a vehicle ha.

But with 2 large suitcases, usually minimal space left. Only can stuff like soft bag or plastic bags. If u want to carry some other stuff, then suv is better cos u can stack up.

Yes off-line map is a must have. Lots of no signal areas on the outskirts. Best is to get Telstra sim. More expensive but better coverage. 

Can try Optus too. Buy on qoo10 before your trip so less hassle after reaching AU. Includes $5 prepaid for you to call back SG if needed at 5cents/minute.

Rented a GLA from Thrifty 2 weeks ago. Did not opt for GPS but heng ah car came with it. So used car GPS all the way 

(edited)

yes and no need to pay upfront or booking fees

i have used vroomvroom several times

when i reach perth melbourne and sydney i have actually switch to another car rental on the spot [laugh]

because of better pricing and the car model that i want is available [sly]

Vroomvroomvroom is the best aggregator for car rental deals in Aussie?

Going melbourne in nov.

Edited by Wt_know

yes and no need to pay upfront or booking fees

i have used vroomvroom several times

when i reach perth melbourne and sydney i have actually switch to another car rental on the spot [laugh]

because of better pricing and the car model that i want is available [sly]

?

How does that work? free cancellation?

I'm arriving at 9+pm at night. So just want hassle free. Will just pick an executive sedan size vehicle. 

Past 3 years, I've used economycarrentals. Twice in Perth and once in Koh Samui. Good experiences so far, pretty competitive pricing too

• Praise 1

(edited)

yes. vroomvroomvroom does not collect credit card upon booking.

book now pay later

they don't charge until the day you pick up the car at the airport [thumbsup]

?

How does that work? free cancellation?

I'm arriving at 9+pm at night. So just want hassle free. Will just pick an executive sedan size vehicle. 

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Vroomvroomvroom is the best aggregator for car rental deals in Aussie?

Going melbourne in nov.

i also used them for my NZ trip last year. 

My strange observation:

i went to few websites (similar to Vroom) and also the car rental firms' own websites. I chose the same dates, the same car (or equivalent), then all the available options came out.

1) Same car type (I needed big MPV) but different models from different rental firms -- got very different rates (this one v common/normal)

2) Same car type and same model from different rental firms -- got very different rates (this one also can understand/accept)

3) Same car and same model from the same rental firms -- also got very different rates!!!

Can't comprehend why #3 happened. For e.g. Hertz Kia Carnival (or equivalent) can cost between $900 to $1600  [laugh] . And the cheapest quote was from Vroom.

I thought something was wrong, but on booking, vroom gives the same confirmation code as from other sites booking the same vehicle, so i took it.

Oh, one tip: if you rent with the big firms, they usually have many different types promo codes. I realise that they dun verify the codes. When i first booked, i overlooked it (so booked at let's say $950). Then only (weeks) after confirmation, i came across bank promo code for hertz, still can add in and get further discount, as Hertz only charges on collection.

This means that even if you do not own any credit cards (or rather, the banks behind them) that have promo code, you can just use a valid promo code (listed by the banks in their ads) and give to Hertz, and they will still give you the 10%.

• Praise 1

(edited)

i also used them for my NZ trip last year.

My strange observation:

i went to few websites (similar to Vroom) and also the car rental firms' own websites. I chose the same dates, the same car (or equivalent), then all the available options came out.

1) Same car type (I needed big MPV) but different models from different rental firms -- got very different rates (this one v common/normal)

2) Same car type and same model from different rental firms -- got very different rates (this one also can understand/accept)

3) Same car and same model from the same rental firms -- also got very different rates!!!

Can't comprehend why #3 happened. For e.g. Hertz Kia Carnival (or equivalent) can cost between $900 to $1600 [laugh] . And the cheapest quote was from Vroom.

I thought something was wrong, but on booking, vroom gives the same confirmation code as from other sites booking the same vehicle, so i took it.

Oh, one tip: if you rent with the big firms, they usually have many different types promo codes. I realise that they dun verify the codes. When i first booked, i overlooked it (so booked at let's say $950). Then only (weeks) after confirmation, i came across bank promo code for hertz, still can add in and get further discount, as Hertz only charges on collection.

This means that even if you do not own any credit cards (or rather, the banks behind them) that have promo code, you can just use a valid promo code (listed by the banks in their ads) and give to Hertz, and they will still give you the 10%.

Sometimes better to stick to the big boys , they are more transparent and pick up and return policy is better and some cheaper ones the car park is off site and quite scary if you have to drop off at odd dark hours and if the shuttle bus does not run 24!hours in freezing cold weather , my recent trip to Auckland 8 days paid nzd350 only with additional insurance rider and unlimited number of drivers ( though I requested only 2 more ) actually i had requested only a Mazda 6 , but ended up with a Kia Sportage) but you know this people they always like to upgrade you ( actually they give you bigger car but kenna more fuel) in all my 8 trips to NZ/Aus

I will take cheaper ones (usually in the city fringes ) and take cab from airport if the parking is restricted in cities areas then i just use public transport to get around city sights like Sydney/Perth for 2 days ( no stress) and only take rental when travelling out of city ( so no Toll hassle / parking stress/ summons/ narrow roads)

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 5

Sometimes better to stick to the big boys , they are more transparent and pick up and return policy is better and some cheaper ones the car park is off site and quite scary if you have to drop off at odd dark hours and if the shuttle bus does not run 24!hours in freezing cold weather , my recent trip to Auckland 8 days paid nzd350 only with additional insurance rider and unlimited number of drivers ( though I requested only 2 more ) actually i had requested only a Mazda 6 , but ended up with a Kia Sportage) but you know this people they always like to upgrade you ( actually they give you bigger car but kenna more fuel) in all my 8 trips to NZ/Aus

I will take cheaper ones (usually in the city fringes ) and take cab from airport if the parking is restricted in cities areas then i just use public transport to get around city sights like Sydney/Perth for 2 days ( no stress) and only take rental when travelling out of city ( so no Toll hassle / parking stress/ summons/ narrow roads)

Agree that if the big boys are not a lot more expensive, then should stick to them.

And for anyone who is going Australia and is planning to rent a car, I came across this ad from AA, which i think can share lah:

Applicable when trying out Hertz. When clicked the link, it brings to https://www.hertz.com.sg/p/car-rental/australia

Just key in the promo code. I think banks might have others too...

post-17508-0-30999400-1562211919.png

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)

Agree that if the big boys are not a lot more expensive, then should stick to them.

And for anyone who is going Australia and is planning to rent a car, I came across this ad from AA, which i think can share lah:

Applicable when trying out Hertz. When clicked the link, it brings to https://www.hertz.com.sg/p/car-rental/australia

Just key in the promo code. I think banks might have others too...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-07-04 at 11.32.17 AM.png

thanks...

with the promo code. it's ... $2 aud cheaper than vroomvroomvroom. Hahaha. ok lah. every dollar counts  [laugh]

EDIT:

Actually i timed out at the website and a banner showed Krisflyer promotion.

Hence, Krisflyer with Hertz gives you more discount.

About another $17 aud cheaper.

Edited by Lala81

thanks...

with the promo code. it's ... $2 aud cheaper than vroomvroomvroom. Hahaha. ok lah. every dollar counts  [laugh]

EDIT:

Actually i timed out at the website and a banner showed Krisflyer promotion.

Hence, Krisflyer with Hertz gives you more discount.

About another $17 aud cheaper.

Tell you hor...

when i booked last year for NZ, the cheapest was hertz through vroomvroomvroom. Hertz SG same car same time same place, also more expensive (dunno why...). So i confirmed with vroomvroomvroom first, cos last time went Perth waited too late, almost couldn't get a MPV even with the smaller players (big ones no more)...

I confirmed (and they confirmed) without any promo codes... and this was i think 4-5 mth before the trip.

Then about 2-3 mth before the trip, i was exploring stanchart website, about the benefits for its credit cards, and saw got Hertz promo code. So i tried my luck and emailed the vroomvroomvroom email address and said i actually had a promo code but forgot to key in. They asked me to tell Hertz directly cos they middleman only...

So i emailed Hertz, and they actually accepted it, so gave me the 10% discount... When i arrived and paid on picking up the car, confirmed they gave me the discount.

Hence, i suggest you go gather as many promo codes as you can find, then go tell Hertz and try. They just might give it to you.

Hypersonic

Tell you hor...

when i booked last year for NZ, the cheapest was hertz through vroomvroomvroom. Hertz SG same car same time same place, also more expensive (dunno why...). So i confirmed with vroomvroomvroom first, cos last time went Perth waited too late, almost couldn't get a MPV even with the smaller players (big ones no more)...

I confirmed (and they confirmed) without any promo codes... and this was i think 4-5 mth before the trip.

Then about 2-3 mth before the trip, i was exploring stanchart website, about the benefits for its credit cards, and saw got Hertz promo code. So i tried my luck and emailed the vroomvroomvroom email address and said i actually had a promo code but forgot to key in. They asked me to tell Hertz directly cos they middleman only...

So i emailed Hertz, and they actually accepted it, so gave me the 10% discount... When i arrived and paid on picking up the car, confirmed they gave me the discount.

Hence, i suggest you go gather as many promo codes as you can find, then go tell Hertz and try. They just might give it to you.

ok lah. haha the krisflyer already got discount liao. good enough for me.

I would like to ask for recommendation for car rental from perth airport. Around 4-5 days rental in Apr. Will not be driving far (<100km from airport).

Back in 2014, I used no birds (bayswater) and collected/returned car outside of airport. It was a pretty good experience with them, no fuss. This time I am bringing a kid so would like to collect/return at airport for convenience. Also would like to ask about your experience about using the child seat provided (for a 5 year old). Is the one provided reliable/clean, or do you bring your own?

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Columbian78 said:

I would like to ask for recommendation for car rental from perth airport. Around 4-5 days rental in Apr. Will not be driving far (<100km from airport).

Back in 2014, I used no birds (bayswater) and collected/returned car outside of airport. It was a pretty good experience with them, no fuss. This time I am bringing a kid so would like to collect/return at airport for convenience. Also would like to ask about your experience about using the child seat provided (for a 5 year old). Is the one provided reliable/clean, or do you bring your own?

i brought my own boosters for both my kids when i went melbourne earlier. Don't see the point of getting their child seat (unless your child is like <4 yo).

I used hertz in perth in 2014. this time round in melbourne also. I got car seat then with my girl just 2 years old then. Seems normal cleanliness by my standard.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1