Tire patching types and prices

Sturtles

Hi Guys,

Just got my tire patched today.

Very surprised the price of patching has increased by so much

I remember having a simple worm patch at 4-5 dollars a few years back.

I was quoted between 8-10 dollars at various shops over the past 1 month I had the puncture

Finally had the time to finally do the job, and stopped by at simpang bedok.

I was quoted $18 for a patch, but the boss said his is patching from the inside, where the tire is removed from the rim for sticking it with a round pad. Its definitely a safer way of patching, as I've had a bad experience for the worm method.

For this price, I should have been roberted, but seriously, what is the market price for this job?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi Guys,

I was quoted between 8-10 dollars at various shops over the past 1 month I had the puncture

I was quoted $18 for a patch, but the boss said his is patching from the inside, where the tire is removed from the rim for sticking it with a round pad. Its definitely a safer way of patching, as I've had a bad experience for the worm method.

For this price, I should have been roberted, but seriously, what is the market price for this job?

i did a "internal patching" many yrs ago and it cost me $12... the normal patching cost $4... so u may compare yourself...

Hi Guys,

bro aren't patching done in this way??? $18 was the price I paid in Australia.........

• Praise 1

$18 is not too expensive. Most places do it for around $15-$20. Patching from inside is the better way to repair a leak.

cinema shop @TPY charge 8-10 bucks for internal patch up ^_^

cinema shop @TPY charge 8-10 bucks for internal patch up ^_^

Cinema charge me $8 for the worm patch last couple of month.. THink everywhere increase liao

wah liew...everywhere price increase, salary increase over the last few yrs b4 the financial boomz....few dollars of internal and external patching days are already long long gone liao...if u have your salary increase by more than 1% few yrs back, so does everyone also need to have their salary increase also mah....c'mon can afford a car surely can afford patching tyres...moreover is not everyday u need to patch unless u damn suay.....

Did your salary rise by 50% over the past 3 or 4 years?

I didn't claim it was cheap or expensive, but I certainly do not know the market rate for an internal patch.

Most shops only quote worm patch method.

18 dollars for a patch is not much considering you only do it once a year on average, but compared to an assumed market rate of 10 dollars, there is no reason why I should spend 8 dollars more for the same job in the future

If you consider that to swap and balance a tire already costs $10 in labour, the cost of the internal patch is about the same as a worm patch, because the workshop has to remove the tire, dress the inside, glue the round pad on, snip off the stem on the other side, mount the tire, and then balance it.

Saw them in action. Shall describe step by step

1) Mark tire position respective to rim

2) Remove tire from rim

3) Buff off affected portion(roughen surface)

4) Apply vulcanizing glue on roughened surface

5) Wait for 5-10 minutes

6) Remove puncture object. Screw, in my case

7) Apply internal patch, a round black handy plus about 2" in diameter

8) Remount tire on rim

- no balancing of rim performed

These are all the steps the repairman performed.

If there are missing steps in between, it is because it was not performed.

For $15 at Hurry Tyre I get my tire patched and rebalanced, so I believe its money well spent. I even track these patched tires and they hold up very well. The difference is that my patch is a round rubber disc with a stem in the middle. This stem goes through the hole in the tire rubber made by the offending object. They trim off the extra bit to be flush with the tire surface.

Edited by Macrosszero

So is it a must for the tyre to be balanced when an internal patching job is done?

I've only did the worm kind and of course no tyre balancing done.

there is a hole in 1 of my front tyre's side wall, creating a 'flap'. not big, abt 1 cm. don't think it's deep since tyre is not punctured. can still drive normally.

used a black masking tape to cover it, in case it gets bigger.

is it necessary to bring to shop to patch it up?

was thinking of highlighting to my AD the next time i send for servicing.

To me safety is paramount so i never patch my punctured tires and just replaced them.

our lives are definitely worth more than a few hundred bucks, rite???

Edited by 7007

Did your salary rise by 50% over the past 3 or 4 years?

- yes and more than that when i joined a new company

I didn't claim it was cheap or expensive, but I certainly do not know the market rate for an internal patch.

- you will be shocked to see the recommended price set by the tyre association which i think customers will not take it even though they did not realise the amt of effort being done. thats why many tyreshops did not follow the price. you may want to call up the tyre association for the pricing.

Most shops only quote worm patch method.

- It depends on the puncture damage level...if is a screw or something like that, a worm patch is sufficient.

Internal patch depends on the angle of the puncture, the preference of the customer etc

18 dollars for a patch is not much considering you only do it once a year on average, but compared to an assumed market rate of 10 dollars, there is no reason why I should spend 8 dollars more for the same job in the future

$10 dollar is few yrs ago price for worm patch. Material cost increase, so does labour cost. Thats why some tyreshops cut the worm patch into half to maximise profits. Insist the tyreman to use the full length of worm patch. Some customers mentioned "i thot patching is $3 or $5", hello that was in the 80s...really they sibei "teh xiao" trying to act cute and act ignorance...

↡ Advertisement