Relative asking to use my credit card

Angmokio

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

I have this close relative (sis-in-law) suddenly call us and wanted us to help her on a product purchase.

Their family is not very well off, got three teenage kids and both parents are from the low income group.

She's been visiting this thermal massage bed shop in the east to "treat" her back problem.

She claimed they having a promo till end Oct, each bed costing about $4500!!! with credit card can pay instalment for two years.

She wants to use our credit card for the instalments and she will pay us monthly.

I was thinking, they need to feed their family (school fees, daily expenses) and that should be the priority, right?

If we reject her, things may turn ugly.

If don't reject, we might "harm" them further or we fear we may ended up paying the instalment ourselves. (she still owns us a few thousands since 2007!!! in fact she own other siblings $$$ too, mostly 4 digits)

any bro heard of this massage bed call Ceragem?? is it that good?

any good advice to "educate" them?

heizzzz, this are one of those situation, sigh....

↡ Advertisement

This sounds like a MLM product.

4.5K, I can get a branded mattress which is really a good investment as you can use it for a very long time...

Neutral Newbie

reject them... just like my relative who kept borrowing money from me.. few K already, never return

now i reject them all..

close ones is always very difficult, got to see them often.

I don't mind lending to those really in need (medical, sch fees) and those who return back on time or at least update you the "status".

worse are those return a bit, bit, later act blur.

actually, if one is willing to lend the money, one should not expect it to be return and be prepare to write if off.

Neutral Newbie

This sounds like a MLM product.

4.5K, I can get a branded mattress which is really a good investment as you can use it for a very long time...

I think so, sales pressure tactics on the gullible & desparate.

Buy Simmons is much better.

close ones is always very difficult, got to see them often.

I don't mind lending to those really in need (medical, sch fees) and those who return back on time or at least update you the "status".

worse are those return a bit, bit, later act blur.

actually, if one is willing to lend the money, one should not expect it to be return and be prepare to write if off.

precisely depends on how close you are to them and whether you are in a good position to pay them.

if ok then just pay for them lah.

they are like family after all

but being a family, they should not take advantage or take it for granted ..

TS, why dont u tell the relative u need some money and want them to return the past sum.. see if they can ..

yes when we lend, we expect to write off already but cannot be 100% write off right ? even to the extend of not remembering? it is very bad..

Like you said yourself if you lend then its as good as giving them the bed. Any return is a bonus in a sort of way. $4500 into 24 months is still almost $200 a month. A little stretch if they are already very spread out and owning people here and there.

Personally, I would tell them no in the nicest way I can but be firm abt it.

It all boils down to how well u know them....and how comfortable are u with writing off that amt... But pls do go down with her on the day of purchase to offer neutral opinion.

Tough call.... Help them and it's as good as kissing your $$$ [wave]

Don't help them and you can be sure they will cry father cry mother about how unhelpful u are..... [shakehead]

Question is if you have to scrimp and save yourself to cover for the $4.5k debt in case your S-I-L don't pay u, then you can tell them go fly kite lah....

eh... magnetic mattress... sounds like the MLM product but if they are going to borrow money from you I guess you have the right to know what thing they buy and how are they planning to return you the sum.

Don't lend, seriously, 4,500 can get 1 good king size bed with bed frame.

Advise your SIL dont get "scam" by this kind of product.

another issue is if u really lend, your credit limit is "handicapped" by this loan.

eg, your limit is 6k, with this 4.5k, you left 1.5k monthly till progressive you clear the installment.

Be it going to sour the R/S or not, spend within own limit, have you check with your bro if he has talk over with his wife?

Neutral Newbie

Close or distant relative, even your own brother/sister, if got past dues not paid, no way can get new one. Got to be firm. Don't make them treat you like a fool. Unless, you really don't mind, and you know that you're not going to get the money back, then tell them you're buying for them. [thumbsup]

Don't lend, seriously, 4,500 can get 1 good king size bed with bed frame.

Advise your SIL dont get "scam" by this kind of product.

another issue is if u really lend, your credit limit is "handicapped" by this loan.

eg, your limit is 6k, with this 4.5k, you left 1.5k monthly till progressive you clear the installment.

Be it going to sour the R/S or not, spend within own limit, have you check with your bro if he has talk over with his wife?

This is the solution. TS, you can bullsh1t your SIL that your TV, sofa, fridge, etc are on installment too and becos of that, your credit card limit is less than $4500 so cannot sign for her.

Edited by Ultramega
↡ Advertisement