Test drived Kia Forte Koup

Revolc81

to be fair...

not everyone is a fan of NA.

but i'm sure everyone is a fan of BHP at low rev.

so, designing solely NA engines may be Honda's main selling point, but it can also be its main handicap.

for instance, i've 2 friends who changed from Civic Type R JDM to an evo X and a WRX.

revv-ing the NA engine up to 8-9k rpm is simply, not practical.

i think it's pleasurable though. there are pple who go for this. but normal NA ivtec vs FI is no horse run

↡ Advertisement

We have a big family under one roof and and we usually have a few cars in the garage and we share the nuse of them. We keep them from between 1-10yrs so ther is no fixed rule. If it serves us well, we keep it.

I have to admit the Euro makes require more maintenance but for us its the Korean makes that is the easiest to maintain. I prefer the Euro cars because of their ride comfort, handling, stability at the expense of higher maintenance which I don't mind. I mean most European car buyers buy these cars for the same reasons and maintenance and fuel economy are less important. Jap cars are usually lighter in maintenance but on very challenging roads and high speeds that you fell that their ride are less settled, planted and feels more busy. My bro has a FD 2.0Si so I know. But I think it has one of the best chassis in its class among Japs. But among the Europeans its chassis is average. In SG roads, most cars ride well enough at low speeds because the roads are

smooth but when the roads are treacherous, all is revealed. I don't mean to criticise the Civic as I think it is among the best Jap car in its class. Compare the Civic with the Altis, before Round 1 is over, the Altis is KOed. But at European car prices and against such competitors its a different story...BTW, my bro is happy with his car just like you, so we are cool....

much prefer mazda chassis to honda's. but overall package, $ for $ honda anyday. mazda engines a bit weak -_-

i think it's pleasurable though. there are pple who go for this. but normal NA ivtec vs FI is no horse run

NA forever cannot be compared to FI.. and some people liked the raw power of FI while others(like me) like the linearity and high revving nature of NA..

i personally feel that in MPV segment... Honda is undefeatable.

Odyssey

Stream

Edix

Freed

Elysion

Stepwagon

Star team line-up.

hmmmm toyota also not bad la....

Alphard

Estima

Wish

Previa

Sienta

Vellfire

voxy

Isis

Noah

Passo Sette

Mark X zio

hmmmm toyota also not bad la....

Alphard

Estima

Wish

Previa

Sienta

Vellfire

voxy

Isis

Noah

Passo Sette

Mark X zio

agree

But i dont find them popular compared to honda's

except wish and estima

no doubt.

Agree with u

thats why i said not everyone is a fan of NA power, and i acknowledge tat there r NA fans around

NA forever cannot be compared to FI.. and some people liked the raw power of FI while others(like me) like the linearity and high revving nature of NA..

i think those NA u referring to are the ultra high capacity engines like lambo

those indeed are shiok to drive

i wonder what will those people at SGMerc got to say...hmmm...

Sorry typo error, I mean the 3 series coupe, CLK and Koup feel similar as their respective saloon variants which they are based on except for a firmer chassis. I didn't mean to say the Koup feels the same as the CLK and 3 series coupe, sorry for the ambiguity..

agree

But i dont find them popular compared to honda's

except wish and estima

True. They are not as popular as most of them are PI ones.

Neutral Newbie

Hi, newbie to the Forum here.

Am interested in the Kia Sportage - heard that a new model is on its way to Singapore. Anyone knows when? Not sure whether to take advantage of 5-year warranty and drop in COE now, or wait for new model. Any advice?

Thanks!

No NA car under 2.5L is gonna feel powerful anyway. Keep in mind that the Koup is designed as a 'soft' sports coupe similar to the good ol Nissan NX Coupe, Paseo, Integra (non Type-R), etc. At $60k n loaded wif std features, i reckon it's one helluva deal.

I beg to differ..I am driving a NA car that is 2L or 1.998 to be exact...it is on par on performance when compared to a WRX.

They call it CTR. keekee

Neutral Newbie

Sorry typo error, I mean the 3 series coupe, CLK and Koup feel similar as their respective saloon variants which they are based on except for a firmer chassis. I didn't mean to say the Koup feels the same as the CLK and 3 series coupe, sorry for the ambiguity..

Bro you mean the CLC instead of CLK ?

new-benz-clc1.jpg

Neutral Newbie

i rem reading on the news..this lady complained that the DSG in her VW Golf GTi fails just after a few month..

then an army friend of mine...the DSG in his Jetta fails after just 3 mths..and not to mention his engine block cracked within 1 mth of collection..he swore to stick to go back to jap car(he was driving the civic ES and camry) after this bad experience..

anyway, it's possible that the 2 cases are lemon cars aka isolated case..

anyway, don't get me wrong, i like the prospect of 7 speed gearbox with efficiency of a manual clutch..but the DSG is still relatively new technology when compared to traditional 4/5speed gearbox running on torque converter..also, the law of nature states that the more complex a system is, there is higher chances of it failing..so i guess i'll stay away from DSG at the moment..until the technology matures enough to fully replace the traditional auto gearbox

edit: ahh...found the article.. http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story...1011-29566.html

Thank you bro! hope mine is not the lemon car and also hope VCS will improve their service too! [thumbsdown]

Sorry for OT... ^_^

Test drove the 2L today...Was considering a replacement for my current car..Exterior wise...Nothing to complaint...it would rate it as probably 8.5/10...It seriously looks good for what this price level can get you currently...Power wise...the 2L engine does gave it sufficient power to have a little fun at times...No problem carrying its own weight...Would rate it 8/10 Handling....I would gave it a thumbs down....I had a fright while taking it thru a gradual bend at around 70km/hr...Oversteer was very bad...I never expected it...For a short moment...I thought I was going to crash it...Rating 2/10...Safety...humm....it got the usual normal stuffs...can't have a feel of it because I still want live on :) Interior...normal...rather not eye catching for a coup...rating 6.5/10...

Overall....something with fantastic outlook a great value...power of course is not the best if you want to compare with turbo units etc but again given its price...its great....only remark....it is a coup but not a sports coup....don't take it too fast round the bends....you may be testing out its safety....

My decision...Not to buy because it gave me a fright round the bends...altough it is powerful enough as a 2L...But if I can't get around bends safetly....It is definitely out for me...

Didn't the ESP kick on?All Forte Koup and Forte SX comes with ESP.

FI cannot rev high meh? [sly]

Neutral Newbie

Hi, newbie to the Forum here.

Am interested in the Kia Sportage - heard that a new model is on its way to Singapore. Anyone knows when? Not sure whether to take advantage of 5-year warranty and drop in COE now, or wait for new model. Any advice?

Thanks!

hmm.. its good to wait till after Chinese New Year to buy? Usually cheaper during that time. Not sure if i've answered your question though.. haha [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement