Year end family holiday ideas?

Riverfish

Planning to bring the family (well, just me, wife and 5-yr old daughter) out for a family holiday in Dec. Duraion is about 7 to 9 days, budget maybe no more than 6K.

We have been to mostly islands and beaches for our holidays so we decide to try something different this time. We also hate to go on packaged tours and prefer to go free n easy. Currently I have a few ideas, though haven't researched much into any one of them:

1) a self-drive trip in Australia. Haven't been to Oz before, a self-drive trip sounds exciting, but cost may be a concern.

2) sightseeing in Taiwan, plus one or two night stay in a hotspring resort.

3) Japan. Snowski and hotspring. Daughter is too small for Disneyland I guess.

Any advice? Or any bro has better ideas that I didn't think of? Many thanks.

↡ Advertisement

we took our daughter (then 4 years old) to gold coast and sydney, online booking for accommodation and car rental should not exceed your budget [thumbsup] [thumbsup] .

we try to avoid country on winter as not sure she can cope.

Twincharged

taiwan bad weather ..... suggest you take it off your list .... i took it off mine.

self drive ? i dunno ... but from some o the stuffs i have read, i wun do it.... btw, australia is left or right hand drive ?

Japan or Korea wud be a good choice (my only problem is language, maybe next year?).... that's why i am only going to Beijing + Shanghai next month.

its ok to bring her to disneyland, just that she may not remember.....i'm bringing my 2 yrs old to tokyo this yr end and to Aussie next june.

Good to do self drive in aussie, time to rev the big cars there.

Neutral Newbie

bring so young go dunno when grow up remember anot..i planning to do a drive up north into thailand...hoot ah!

xiong leh. from what i heard the fuel + toll charges u add up can almost take flight there [speechless] n

eedless to say u still need to purchase additional insurance to cover ur number of days u staying over at thai. remember to bring ur "log card" the one that u can print out from lta website with ur name, make model etc which is needed over at thai side.

taiwan bad weather ..... suggest you take it off your list .... i took it off mine.

self drive ? i dunno ... but from some o the stuffs i have read, i wun do it.... btw, australia is left or right hand drive ?

Japan or Korea wud be a good choice (my only problem is language, maybe next year?).... that's why i am only going to Beijing + Shanghai next month.

australia is right hand drive bro..

Bad weather? U mean cold weather? Aussie drives on the left, same as SG. Language may not be a big issue in Japan as i hope i can make guesses from the Chinese characters.

Bad weather? U mean cold weather? Aussie drives on the left, same as SG. Language may not be a big issue in Japan as i hope i can make guesses from the Chinese characters.

better be prepared when you're not with tour group in Japan. I thought of the same 2 years ago when in Yokohama on business trip. Only 20% of the characters can be recognised as Chinese. Even got lost in the big train station as all are in Japs. English on put up at the entrance to the train station. [sweatdrop]

Was in Taipei last Dec for holiday. Only cold weather but no rain or storm and was sunny as well. Nice place to be after a long and hot year here. [thumbsup]

xiong leh. from what i heard the fuel + toll charges u add up can almost take flight there [speechless] n

eedless to say u still need to purchase additional insurance to cover ur number of days u staying over at thai. remember to bring ur "log card" the one that u can print out from lta website with ur name, make model etc which is needed over at thai side.

I'll be very tempted with a drive all the way to Thailand, but my wife won't agree to it. She already complained after our 2 hour drive to Desaru last year, saying our 1.6 liter car is not comfortable for long distance trips.

better be prepared when you're not with tour group in Japan. I thought of the same 2 years ago when in Yokohama on business trip. Only 20% of the characters can be recognised as Chinese. Even got lost in the big train station as all are in Japs. English on put up at the entrance to the train station. [sweatdrop]

mmm... that means more homework before the trip... I still don't wanna sacrifice freedom for a little convenience in navigating in JP.

bring so young go dunno when grow up remember anot..i planning to do a drive up north into thailand...hoot ah!

remember or not its not tat important......its e joy of being together tat matters [nod]

You are kidding? Make guesses from Chinese characters? Dan why ppl take up Japanese language if it's that easy?

You may not look naive but your thoughts sure are.

6K for 2A1C self drive in Australia is just right.

I recommend self drive in Australia because own time own target (ie you plan your own itinerary).

With a 5 yr old child, no problem. The child may not remember (why bother if they remember) but they will surely enjoy the scenery and vastness of Australia. Btw, I self drove in Australia with my wife and 2 kids (when they were 4 and 6 yrs). They do remember the places we drove by.

Food is no problem in Australia. You can find all types of food there.

Enjoy!!

I say this cos when you are in Japan do not expect anyone to speak a word of English. Not even a single word. You will definitely be lost on your very first trip.

taiwan bad weather?? i'm going next mth. anyone been there in the mth of nov?...i dunno whether need to bring jackets. n if bring, do i need thick ones or normal ones enuf?...esp for my 2yr old...do i need to put thick clothes on her?...

Planning to bring the family (well, just me, wife and 5-yr old daughter) out for a family holiday in Dec. Duraion is about 7 to 9 days, budget maybe no more than 6K.

We have been to mostly islands and beaches for our holidays so we decide to try something different this time. We also hate to go on packaged tours and prefer to go free n easy. Currently I have a few ideas, though haven't researched much into any one of them:

1) a self-drive trip in Australia. Haven't been to Oz before, a self-drive trip sounds exciting, but cost may be a concern.

2) sightseeing in Taiwan, plus one or two night stay in a hotspring resort.

3) Japan. Snowski and hotspring. Daughter is too small for Disneyland I guess.

Any advice? Or any bro has better ideas that I didn't think of? Many thanks.

car rental in australia is relatively cheap. so no worries. petrol price is slighty cheaper also. u will travel 99% highway so FC shouldnt be so bad. i had a lancer 2.0 when i was there. some hard driving around. i was averaging ard 11km/l. normal driving should achieve more. toll is quite expensive. i dont much abt inter states. my the highway city toll for melb was around A$20 but its good for 24hrs. that means u can go in n out for 24hrs.

i didnt encounter anymore toll when i was in melb.just plenty for straight roads as my gf was staying in the suburbans. 60km from the city almost 100km from the airport.

the drive was xiong! esp when i took night flight there. den reach there around 6am GMT +11. thats like 3am sg. i finish work cheong to airport den fly off. reach there drive 100km. [laugh] [laugh] thats really memorable.

↡ Advertisement