When to replace brakes rotors ?

Jimcheam

Neutral Newbie

Hi bros I got a qns here..when do we normally need to replace the brakes rotors ?

Currently reaching to 40K mileage, I change e pads to mintex which i think i wears the rotor out faster than the stock pads.

Can feel many grooves when i run my fingernails over the rotors..so I was wondering if there is any rule of thumb like to change rotors during 80K servicing or so etc...any kind bros can give me some advice ?

I

↡ Advertisement

It depends on your driving pattern. No hard and fast rule about it.

Good to get your mechanic to check your rotors during your servicing each time.

There is a minimum thickness for the usage of your rotors. Once it reaches that minimum width, the rotors need to be replaced.

Some bros here may advise you to have the rotors skimmed, but in my opinion, skimming may just last your rotors for some more mileage and may compromise the structure of your rotors. I rather change and replace with new ones.

Aftermarket brake pads like mintex should be alright with your rotors (if your rotor is stock). Just have it checked by your mechanic during servicing.

Neutral Newbie

There is a minimum thickness for the usage of your rotors. Once it reaches that minimum width, the rotors need to be replaced.

Some bros here may advise you to have the rotors skimmed, but in my opinion, skimming may just last your rotors for some more mileage and may compromise the structure of your rotors. I rather change and replace with new ones.

Aftermarket brake pads like mintex should be alright with your rotors (if your rotor is stock). Just have it checked by your mechanic during servicing.

okies but i worried is that there might be some mechanics out to chop carrot head...even still can use they would advise to change..give all sort of reasons to scare you..

okies but i worried is that there might be some mechanics out to chop carrot head...even still can use they would advise to change..give all sort of reasons to scare you..

If you have a regular mechanic whom you can trust, you can always go back to him.

Hi bros I got a qns here..when do we normally need to replace the brakes rotors ?

Currently reaching to 40K mileage, I change e pads to mintex which i think i wears the rotor out faster than the stock pads.

Can feel many grooves when i run my fingernails over the rotors..so I was wondering if there is any rule of thumb like to change rotors during 80K servicing or so etc...any kind bros can give me some advice ?

I

Check the rotor specs at the edge of your rotors.

It may specify the minimum factory recommendation.

many grooves meaning that your rotor is wearing unevenly?

If there is any rule of thumb, 80k mileage is probably too high and too long to wait.

50k is probably right.

If your rotors are already worned (eaten) in quite badly, do replace them.

forget about shimming, as another Bro mentioned.

Anyway rotors have gotten "cheaper" in relative terms.

your braking feel and driving pleasure will improve after changing the rotors.

wat is the min thickness to be change? tks in advance

Neutral Newbie

If you have a regular mechanic whom you can trust, you can always go back to him.

hmm found 1 but he is quite far away (Gary at Lavendar)..so sometimes just go to the nearby workshop and let them service..They will try to upsell u alot of things..do aircon flush,this flush that flush...probably they just wan to flush the money out from you..

Neutral Newbie

where can i replace my stock rotors with slotted/grooved ones?

there are many brands of rotor out there...

VTTR, Nashin, Brembo, Endless, Project U, Spoon Nisin, Rotora and many more....

These are just the few brands that i thought of..

hmm found 1 but he is quite far away (Gary at Lavendar)..so sometimes just go to the nearby workshop and let them service..They will try to upsell u alot of things..do aircon flush,this flush that flush...probably they just wan to flush the money out from you..

There are some recommendations and review of some workshops in this forum. Do a check and drop by some of these shops to ask.

In my opinion, no need so branded rotors. Stock or OEM is good enough. Save your money for petrol.

In my opinion, no need so branded rotors. Stock or OEM is good enough. Save your money for petrol.

agree with you. the vehicle was first tested on stock parts so replacing anything else may have negative effect on braking. but if need to, always remember that changing disc rotors & pads go hand in hand.

i recently changed my rotors to mintex ones. old stock one wrap liao.

i retain my ferodo pads which looks new thou used almost 1 yr liao. mintex + ferodo = good arh!

where can i replace my stock rotors with slotted/grooved ones?

no use for daily driving and normal cars. wears out your pads so much faster with no returns.

even for track days, there's no real need, unless you are racing with high HP applications.

↡ Advertisement