'Beach Ball' Referee Drops To Championship

Picnic06-Biante15

ESPN Soccernet latest : Beach ball referee Jones drops into Championship

Mike Jones, the referee who incorrectly awarded Darren Bent's goal for Sunderland against Liverpool on Saturday, will not officiate in the Premier League this weekend.

FIFA's laws of the game state "the referee should stop, suspend or abandon the match because of outside interference of any kind'', meaning the goal should have been ruled out and the match re-started with a drop ball.

Jones will take charge of the Championship game between Peterborough and Scunthorpe at London Road.

Jones' mistake has been widely criticised by a number of his former colleagues with Jeff Winter, Dermot Gallagher and Graham Poll all stating their surprise that such a basic error was made in a Premier League game.

Gallagher said: "It was a glaring error and it's difficult to fathom. Even referees in local parks should know that if there is an outside agent on the pitch then you stop the game and restart it with a drop ball.

"When you set out as a referee you learn the laws of the game and everyone should know it. For it to happen at this level and in such a high-profile game is unbelievable. Any one of the four officials should have stepped in.''

The possibility if the game being replayed has been rejected by the Premier League.

Becomes referees also 'chia lat' ......... [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement

Sibei cham....... add too much time kena complaints, blow too early aslo kena complaints, allowed goal also kena, disallow also kena. Give pen also kena, dun give also kena.

Sibei cham....... add too much time kena complaints, blow too early aslo kena complaints, allowed goal also kena, disallow also kena. Give pen also kena, dun give also kena.

My favourite referee is still the Italian referee ........ the 'Botak', forgot his name ...... [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

My favourite referee is still the Italian referee ........ the 'Botak', forgot his name ...... [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

That fellow is awesome!!! strict to the core!! [thumbsup][thumbsup]

He one of the best during the world cup

They should have 2 referees like those WWE/WCW steel cage match or ladder match. :D

yup.....I remember him as a 'bald' eagle

What a pity, he has to retire at 40.......... [sweatdrop]

Stupid FIFA rules for referee. Should have make exception for good referees as they are hard to find ........ :ph34r::ph34r:

What a pity, he has to retire at 40.......... [sweatdrop]

Stupid FIFA rules for referee. Should have make exception for good referees as they are hard to find ........ :ph34r::ph34r:

yah l0r....I am sure he is up to the mark and is super fit! [thumbsup]

They should have 2 referees like those WWE/WCW steel cage match or ladder match. :D

Then wat if the two referee dont see eye to eye on the same incident??? Both of them have it out on the pitch??? :D:D:D

Then wat if the two referee dont see eye to eye on the same incident??? Both of them have it out on the pitch??? :D:D:D

What happen to the talk on video replay to assist the referee to make decision on the spot since the last World Cup in 2006....... [sly]

Supercharged

though i dislike liverpool, but i feel that to drop this referee is the right thing to do.

he shld have stop play and not count the goal. its obviously a distraction to the players. the most basic rule of football.

stupid referee........

What happen to the talk on video replay to assist the referee to make decision on the spot since the last World Cup in 2006....... [sly]

Actually, I tink video replay will throw in more controversy leh. Not everyone see the same thing and interpret it the same way.

Like if player A trips player B. In the video replay, A can interpret it as he put in a challenge but its B who dive as it was only a slight contact.

Actually, I tink video replay will throw in more controversy leh. Not everyone see the same thing and interpret it the same way.

Like if player A trips player B. In the video replay, A can interpret it as he put in a challenge but its B who dive as it was only a slight contact.

the chances are, everybodies in the stadium will see the screen replaying and so decision can be make.....

but, still hor players, managers, asst managers will argue lar especially with SAF around........ [lipsrsealed]

Look at NBA, not much protest when referees make decision ..... [sly]

the chances are, everybodies in the stadium will see the screen replaying and so decision can be make.....

but, still hor players, managers, asst managers will argue lar especially with SAF around........ [lipsrsealed]

Look at NBA, not much protest when referees make decision ..... [sly]

NBA cannot compare. One point dont make much different as compare to soccer.

↡ Advertisement