How long can engine oil be stored?

Ftco

Came across an offer for fully synthetic oil (Shell Helix Ultra) and was tempted to buy a few tubs and keep for future use. Synthetic oil are actually a mixture of oil and other chemicals so will it "disintegrate"and becoming unuseable if stored for a period of time (say 2 yrs)?

Didn't notice a "use by" date on the container.

↡ Advertisement

There is no use by date because it has an almost infinite shelf-life. As long is it is stored in a relatively clean environment, you could store it almost indefinitely or until the plastic starts to disintegrate.

i did ask komocco service centre this question..they say 1 year shelf life..

how true it is..i have no idea..

How could it be so short? worse than canned food? Unless, he is trying to tell you this bottle has been manufactured years ago and recently being put on the shelf and lasted for a year?

Regards,

I bought a couple of Mobil 1 during Giant discount and stored it for 3 years before using.

Prior to that it is probably 1 or 2 years old since manufactured, moving and seating around in warehouses.

I think you can safely use it when stored for up to 5 years or more. Just inspect it visibly before you pour it in. [:)]

As long as it's kept in a proper storage area, not exposed to extreme heat or dampness, it should be ok.

haha..but if you don't buy in bulk, one bottle most likely used within one year..so i didn't really care what they said..

i bought mine when ntuc is on offer..

Came across an offer for fully synthetic oil (Shell Helix Ultra) and was tempted to buy a few tubs and keep for future use. Synthetic oil are actually a mixture of oil and other chemicals so will it "disintegrate"and becoming unuseable if stored for a period of time (say 2 yrs)?

Didn't notice a "use by" date on the container.

No point buying so much oil. Discounts always come here and then. If next time cheaper / got better oil at the same price how?

Neutral Newbie

I bought a couple of Mobil 1 during Giant discount and stored it for 3 years before using.

Prior to that it is probably 1 or 2 years old since manufactured, moving and seating around in warehouses.

I think you can safely use it when stored for up to 5 years or more. Just inspect it visibly before you pour it in. [:)]

As long as it's kept in a proper storage area, not exposed to extreme heat or dampness, it should be ok.

I worked in Lubricants before. Yes 5 years for freshness guarantee if seal not opened and stored in cooldry place. [thumbsup]

I worked in Lubricants before. Yes 5 years for freshness guarantee if seal not opened and stored in cooldry place. [thumbsup]

yah, think 5 yrs is more reasonable... engine oil is formulated not to breakdown easily).

Thanks for sharing. [thumbsup]

just boughts 2 bottles of 4L Shell 5w40 last night

S$59 each. No expiry date on the bottle.

It's going at $48.90 @ Carrefour this weekend! Made in EU.

+5% upfront discount if using everyday credit card and +5% rebate

Not advertising, just sharing as I grabbed 2 bottles last night.