How to retire with $1,000,000

Emils

Based on this report, you can supposedly retire at age 62 drawing S$2,500/mth (till age 82) just by saving S$158.30/mth starting from 25 years old with zero savings.

How to retire with S$1 Million

Try as I might, I can't seem to get the maths to work... Anyone has any idea?

↡ Advertisement

Took a closer read and noticed this qualifier:

Further, we assume that whatever the investors save during their pre-retirement days will earn 8% annually.

What's the chance of this happening in real life over a span of 37 years (from 25 to 62 years old)??

hahahah, b-------t lah.

unrealistic assumptions for Singapore

might as well say work 3 yrs, save 85% then retire base on 10% returns annually

Based on this report, you can supposedly retire at age 62 drawing S$2,500/mth (till age 82) just by saving S$158.30/mth starting from 25 years old with zero savings.

Take this $1 million .... buys a condo/commercial property .... rent out and collect $3K-$5K/mth .... done.

there is a bank in geylang... i heard the security is fat and lazy... heard he is always sleeping also.

maybe one can try his luck there...

hahahaha

You just missed a good chance of being a millionaire yesterday.

The problem is how old are you now. 20? 30? 40? 50?

If you're just 20 years old and retires 42 years later.

What is the worth of that "million" dollar at that point of time.

Today, $1m is like nothing. $500k for a Toa Payoh pigeon hole. Gather another 5-8 years, it's a million dollar pigeon hole.

So, is our money increasing it's value or depreciating it's value to suit the FTs ?

Took a closer read and noticed this qualifier:

Further, we assume that whatever the investors save during their pre-retirement days will earn 8% annually.

What's the chance of this happening in real life over a span of 37 years (from 25 to 62 years old)??

and another assumption is salary increase 3% every year.... In fact, the message the writer is trying to convey is that regular saving is important [thumbsup] , but assumption he made is unrealistic... [shocked]

what's this obsession with retirement?

I plan never to retire, and so i do not need to save money for "retirement"....I only save money for emergencies.

I also dunno how.

S$158.30/mth for 1 year is $1,899.60. For 25 years is only $47,490. If plus the interest, compound it. How to reach $1,000,000???

What i worry is by the time i retire at that age, 1 million is nothing much anymore.

I know wat you meant. But how many of us can even have 1 million at the age of retire? [sweatdrop]

If You're 25

Savings: S$0

Monthly Salary: S$2,500

Rate of Increase in Wages: 3% p.a.

Number of Months in Bonus: 2 months

Housing Loan: Not Required

What You Need to Save per Month for the next 37 years: S$158.30

i wonder how to make it 1m by 37years even given the best return with monthly $160....

as other bros already mentioned, 1m doesnt really mean anything. There are many variables and inflation is one of them. 1m today is equivalent to how much 20 years down the road?

Personally I think it is important to generate a steady stream of passive income even after we retire from our full time job. I think that is more important.

Take this $1 million .... buys a condo/commercial property .... rent out and collect $3K-$5K/mth .... done.

2 yrs back...there used to be a new commercial building where offices were going for S$288k per unit....each unit ( around 1000 sq ft ) can rent for between S$4k to $5k....why bother with S$3k to S$5k with your outlay of S$1 million ? I can take in S$10k+ monthly with the same amt by just renting out the offices..

Edited by Blackseal
↡ Advertisement