45 members have voted

1. 1. Gan Tong

• Koni
    • KYB
    • Monroe
    • Bilstein
    • Stock
    • Others (please specify)

My 4 yr old Aveo5's absorbers are feeling horny liao..

currently they are paired with Apex yellow springs.

im hoping to change to something that is firm when i need it, yet comfortable to the ppl riding on it.

Coilovers are NOT in my list cuz, i really dont wanna spend more than $1k on this change.

please input your suggestions and if you know where to get them at a good price. please let me know also!

many thanks!

↡ Advertisement

heard kyb is not bad

thats wad i tot. but i have used koni before and its also not bad...

more inputs!

im hoping to change to something that is firm when i need it, yet comfortable to the ppl riding on it.

Coilovers are NOT in my list cuz, i really dont wanna spend more than $1k on this change.

please input your suggestions and if you know where to get them at a good price. please let me know also!

many thanks!

I heard that the gas or hydraulic based type are better. Shocks play an important functionality to your ride. Make your choice wisely.

I heard that the gas or hydraulic based type are better. Shocks play an important functionality to your ride. Make your choice wisely.

yea i actually heard gas shocks can last longer.

anyone knows anything???

I dunno whether you are referring to this. See pic.

The orange chamber is where the hydraulic oil is and the blue chamber is the air chamber where the pressurized gas is.

I dunno how long you intend to keep your car but if you can overhaul your stock damper and replace the o-ring and oil seals, it's a whole lot cheaper dan buying a new one. But dan again I dunno whether your stock damper can be taken apart.

post-18163-1256348104_thumb.png

(edited)

I dunno whether you are referring to this. See pic.

The orange chamber is where the hydraulic oil is and the blue chamber is the air chamber where the pressurized gas is.

I dunno how long you intend to keep your car but if you can overhaul your stock damper and replace the o-ring and oil seals, it's a whole lot cheaper dan buying a new one. But dan again I dunno whether your stock damper can be taken apart.

i intend to keep it for another 1-2yrs at least.

i think i heard about the procedure u're talking abt. some ws in msia offered to help me do it... fankly i dont trust him and i dunno the stock damper can be taken out anot...

anywhere u know thta i can get it check?

Edited by Robo

Bro, since you are going to keep your ride for jus another 1-2 years, i feel that jus going for the cheapest among the above listed brands of absorber would be fine [nod]

No point wasting extra $$$ [nod]

many thanks!

bilstein b4

Depending on the mechanic you are going to ask. Some ppl know how to dismantle it but dunno where to get the seals(cos it may comes in a form of "seal kit" that has everything in a package). Knowing your stock damper is key. Or you can find the seals separately but sometimes you can find all in a shop that sells oil seals. The thing is your mechanic won't want to do the running about and search for you. That's why the next easiest way out is to replace with a new one.

Just 1~2 years, you can either live with it or just recondition it. Good luck on your search. But I can give you the name of companies selling oil seals. Eg. Garlin or Hypax. Greenbook is a good source for search also.

I forgot to tell you. If you are able to find the brand of your damper, you can look for the local distributor whether he can sell you the seal kit. Give him the detail of your car make and year of manufacture. Car maker dun make their own dampers. They also get from suppliers like those you have put on your poll.

Edited by Watwheels

Bro, since you are going to keep your ride for jus another 1-2 years, i feel that jus going for the cheapest among the above listed brands of absorber would be fine [nod]

No point wasting extra $$$ [nod]

yea.... just the next step is to call them and check the prices.

Depending on the mechanic you are going to ask. Some ppl know how to dismantle it but dunno where to get the seals(cos it may comes in a form of "seal kit" that has everything in a package). Knowing your stock damper is key. Or you can find the seals separately but sometimes you can find all in a shop that sells oil seals. The thing is your mechanic won't want to do the running about and search for you. That's why the next easiest way out is to replace with a new one.

Just 1~2 years, you can either live with it or just recondition it. Good luck on your search. But I can give you the name of companies selling oil seals. Eg. Garlin or Hypax. Greenbook is a good source for search also.

I forgot to tell you. If you are able to find the brand of your damper, you can look for the local distributor whether he can sell you the seal kit. Give him the detail of your car make and year of manufacture. Car maker dun make their own dampers. They also get from suppliers like those you have put on your poll.

thanx bro for all the info! i'll go source them out and check the prices. [thumbsup]

in the mean time im gg to jaybee liao!

screw shell.. boleh land still cheaper...

hahahahaha

i think i heard about the procedure u're talking abt. some ws in msia offered to help me do it... fankly i dont trust him and i dunno the stock damper can be taken out anot...

You might want to consider OEM since you intend to keep your car for at least 1-2 years.

================

Not advisible to try this overhaul.

Most likely it wont last or perform badly.

Best is get a good reliable new shock. Check around for better prices b4 u buy.

Seems like the same item can b sold at different prices at various suppliers. Shop around.

You might want to consider OEM since you intend to keep your car for at least 1-2 years.

====================

Do u know the OEM brand & where to get for Chevy?

Im driving an Optra Estate.

Thanks. [wave]

↡ Advertisement