All about vans....

Alfisti168

Got a few questions...

1. Van COE last for how many years?? (car last for 10 years, but since van have higher mileages, they tend to have shorter COE lifespan right?)

2. What is the road tax structure for diesel vans??

3. Do new vans suffer steep depreciation??

4. Can ppl with class 3 license drive a small van e.g. Renault Kangoo diesel van??

5. Any websites / articles I can go to to find out more about the cost of owning / maintaining a van in Singapore?

Edited by pChou
↡ Advertisement

where got such thing as coe follow mileage. like that normal bike n despatch bike got different coe??? salesman car n office worker car got different coe?

Got a few questions...

1. Van COE last for how many years?? (car last for 10 years, but since van have higher mileages, they tend to have shorter COE lifespan right?)

4. Can ppl with class 3 license drive a small van e.g. Renault Kangoo diesel van??

10yr

http://app.lta.gov.sg/corp_press_content.asp?start=1880

yes, very steep cos no parf

yes

where got such thing as coe follow mileage. like that normal bike n despatch bike got different coe??? salesman car n office worker car got different coe?

no la. Is like "private" buses COE last for 20 years, whereas SBS buses "only" last for 17 years.

Similarly, private cars in Sg de COE last for 10 years, whereas taxi last for 7 years max only.

(edited)

10yr

http://app.lta.gov.sg/corp_press_content.asp?start=1880

yes, very steep cos no parf

yes

what's the difference between Goods-cum-Passenger Vehicles (GPV) and Commercial Goods Vehicle??

Am I right to say that Renault Kangoo is a GPV whereas Nissan Urvan is a Commercial Goods Vehicle??

Edited by Alfisti168

what's the difference between Goods-cum-Passenger Vehicles (GPV) and Commercial Goods Vehicle??

Am I right to say that Renault Kangoo is a GPV whereas Nissan Urvan is a Commercial Goods Vehicle??

Goods-cum-Passenger Vehicles (GPV)=lorry or pick up wif 4 doors n can sits 5

Edited by Hamburger

but i thought some vans got a bench behind to sit people?? Therefore considered GPVs?

Some vans or lorries with benches behind are in theory only meant to carry workers, not passengers (friends, family etc.) although this is seldom enforced or penalized unless you're unlucky enough to get checked at random or get in an accident.

GPVs such as double cab lorries and pickups have a passenger compartment behind the front one which can seat more passengers (not limited to workers) and as such have higher taxes.

Edited by Bicolor

And not forgetting, u can treat it like a passenger car and add bodykits to it. Just make a trip ard Ubi where those bodykit workshopps are to c for yourself.

The speed limit sticker at the back can be treated as another decal. TP or LTA seldom or close to never enforce the speed limits.

Neutral Newbie

And not forgetting, u can treat it like a passenger car and add bodykits to it. Just make a trip ard Ubi where those bodykit workshopps are to c for yourself.

The speed limit sticker at the back can be treated as another decal. TP or LTA seldom or close to never enforce the speed limits.

The bit about the speed limit is not true. They do enforce the speed limits. It's just that the current speed limit for vans is now 70km/h, unlike the 50km/h when I first bought my van. This means that vans can now go much faster before reaching the limit. You can travel at 80km/h and they will leave you alone, but go past that and they'll nab you. Seen many cases along PIE already, especially during early afternoon. The only reason why it appears that they are less "on" now is cos it's easier to keep within 80km/h. Keeping within 50km/h requires patience - a lot of patience. Not to mention an extremely light right foot!!!!

The bit about the speed limit is not true. They do enforce the speed limits. It's just that the current speed limit for vans is now 70km/h, unlike the 50km/h when I first bought my van. This means that vans can now go much faster before reaching the limit. You can travel at 80km/h and they will leave you alone, but go past that and they'll nab you. Seen many cases along PIE already, especially during early afternoon. The only reason why it appears that they are less "on" now is cos it's easier to keep within 80km/h. Keeping within 50km/h requires patience - a lot of patience. Not to mention an extremely light right foot!!!!

50km/hr was really crazy to travel on highway......I remeber my ex gf from taiwan says if gov in taiwan reduce their speed limit to 50km/hr there would be riot everywhere in taiwan [bounce1] in sg nobody dare to make noise

kangoo = LCV, urvan = HCV

GPV = twincab, mean hilux/musso..etc

the tax for GPV is higher due to more front passenger capacity

Edited by Furrynadz

kangoo = LCV, urvan = HCV

GPV = twincab, mean hilux/musso..etc

the tax for GPV is higher due to more front passenger capacity

oic. Thanks =)

Initially when I saw LCV and HCV i thought they are Low Class Vehicle and High Class Vehicle respectively. LOL.

Googled it le. Now I noe le. Thx

Neutral Newbie

Hi anyone out there can advice on purchase of van. I currently love the design of the new VW caddy tdi 1.9 however first hand is too expensive. Selling ones are the sdi 2.0 howevery the specs are not very good. Is there anyway of improving? or should i just get an opel combo tdi?

Got a few questions...

5. Any websites / articles I can go to to find out more about the cost of owning / maintaining a van in Singapore?

1) Same 10 years. But lifespan of 20 years. Means can only renew COE once (not unlimited like private cars)

2) Check LTA website

3) Yes.

4) Yes

↡ Advertisement