Teenaged killers may escape jail and caning

Ahtong

teen_dies_after_attack_by_trio-thumbnail.jpg

24 Oct 2009

SOURCE: The Straits Times

A YOUNG man not yet 20 years old is dead, the victim of an assault in Chinatown by a gang of youths in January.

But the trio who beat him up may escape jail and caning: A District Court yesterday asked for a report to assess their suitability for probation and reformative training instead.

Assistant Public Prosecutor Kalidass Murugaiyan had argued that the court need not consider probation or reformative training for Kan Zhan Peng, 19, and Joshua Leong Wei Jun and Liu Wing Sing, both 20, because the offence was

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
[shakehead] The courts are TOO lenient...someone dies and these trash don't have to be jailed or caned??? AGC should insist on harsher penalties and appeal!

Neutral Newbie

Sometimes the judges gotta make unpopular decisions as they need to follow precedence.

Not that i'm defending them though...

[shakehead] The courts are TOO lenient...someone dies and these trash don't have to be jailed or caned??? AGC should insist on harsher penalties and appeal!

Most likely some elitist kid in there.

Hate to say this but i find this is not fair to the victim if the punishment is too light.a life is lost juz becoz of these so call hot blooded teenagers.after release,they can enjoy life again.U call that fair?everytime,i hear pple say,they are young,give them a chance.i do believe,these idiots last time were given too many chances liao during their school time and now they have done a horrendous crime with a person paying for his life.they should be punish with more serious punishments.

crushing sentence on three young men who have their whole future in front of them

WTF , 3 young men who had a future ahead of them, how about the life of another young man gone??? HE don't deserve to live??? What is happening to our society ??? [sweatdrop]

Wow 3-on-1, wonder where the learnt that from? SAF?

What happen to the good old days of man-to-man. What a bunch of losers. I think they should be castrated instead. Sure, they don't have to go to jail, or get caning. Castration would still mean they can lead normal lives on the outside.

Tell u guys something. These kids may afterall get their wishes to go into RTC ( no caning no jail ) or worse, probation. Even the kid who murdered the innocent taxi driver in Orchard road may even get a probation I was told. At most jail a few weeks or max 3 months. No such thing as 1 year even though he is racing and beat red lights. This is the kind of society and law (lessness) that we have right here in Singapore.