Why volkswagen is rate one of the worse reliable car.

Pckwpckw

Neutral Newbie

Well, just FYI my colleagues in Europe use VW German-made as a benchmark for reliability... Just like we use MIJ Toyota as the benchmark.

In real life, VW is afterall not designed for tropical weather. Thus our hot weather all year round makes physical things spoil faster like rattling, sticky plastics, etc.... Somemore these cars are fairly complex with a lot of electronics..

juz my 2 cents.

My audi did not had sticky plastic peels problems like my volkswagen

if it doesn't rattles, it isn't a VolksWagen

agrees

Most cars rattle; may not be the fitting issue of the car itself.

Some could be screws and funny stuff we put in the glove box that is causing it. Even fabric trucker cap put on dashboard will cause some rattling sound. Wire from ERP device probably is the #1 source also.

Edited by Kangadrool

My uncle used to own a 2001 1.8T Passat.

Hardly driven as he was often overseas. The technician said that the car cannot be parked for too long as the steering and suspension components started to fail.

These cars are probably designed to be driven long distances. His current Odyssey faces the same driving style but has never been into a workshop other than for routine servicing.

Some could be screws and funny stuff we put in the glove box that is causing it. Even fabric trucker cap put on dashboard will cause some rattling sound. Wire from ERP device probably is the #1 source also.

I think nobody can beat this experience I had with my previous SX4

There was this klink, klonk sound everytime I move off or brake. At first I thought the exhaust loose or something, tahan until servicing get them to check. The mechs spent half a day trying to figure what's the sound. Eventually they found it, the reverse buzzer behind the rear lights was hanging by its wire and knocking against the car body. Wah lau I dun now to cry or laugh - the double sided tape failed hahaha...... [smash]

I really think that conti cars are make for long distances.

I owned Civic, Camry and current Passat for past 8 years with average mileage of 150k on everycar. They had their fair share of problem too.

My current TSI rattle like hell going up and down of multi storey carpark. Cost a bomb to maintain. VAG support also sucks. BUT, everytime I went up North, it would give me a big grin on my face when I outpace and outrange most cars. The performance of the engine and the handling is simply fantastic. I can do high speed for solid 1.5hrs without breaking a sweat.

Just my tok :)

I really think that conti cars are make for long distances.

I owned Civic, Camry and current Passat for past 8 years with average mileage of 150k on everycar. They had their fair share of problem too.

My current TSI rattle like hell going up and down of multi storey carpark. Cost a bomb to maintain. VAG support also sucks. BUT, everytime I went up North, it would give me a big grin on my face when I outpace and outrange most cars. The performance of the engine and the handling is simply fantastic. I can do high speed for solid 1.5hrs without breaking a sweat.

Just my tok :)

high speed must define how high lei? alot of cars now can maintain >100kmh for hours without breaking any sweat..i maintained 140kmh for 2 hrs straight (save for a few slowdowns caused by traffic) on my 7yo 1.5L car.. [;)]

I am a Volkswagen and Audi Car Owner.

I can guarantee you do not wish to purchase any Volkswagen Car in Singapore.

The Service Centre is extremely unreliable. And the level of support they will provide.

Do not be fooled by the showroom, as these places are meant to convince buyers.

Several VW owners friends of mine has suffered tremendously when they had to deal with service support.

1. Volkswagen will typically wear out your warranty by delaying your request for appointment.

2. You must also be very careful with the paper work dealings when you purchase a volkswagen or send your volkswagen (if you have bought it) for service.

Eg: If you have decided to purchase a Volkswagen, do ensure that they give you a car that has the same year of manufacturer as your year of purchase, they would give you a 2007 model (year of Manufacturer) and 2009 (Year of Registration)

Eg: If you managed to secure an appointment for service: Do confirm in writing the types of parts you wish to change, because they may intentionally miss out certain items on the invoices, or add extra items on the invoices.

Eg: This is also another favourite trick Volkswagen Service Ctr, i.e Charge you $100.00 for an hour rate to change a Battery and additional $300 for the battery. If you were to change your battery anywhere it should not cost more than $20, and its less than 20 mins.

3. The verbal communications are usually not documented, they could promise 3 year warranty, but if you must produce your original purchase receipts that proves 3 years warranty, otherwise it would be 2 year warranty. And during the 2 or 3 years, they could well delay up to 6 months before they grant you an appointment.

Lastly Volkwagen has the biggest Coolant and Overheating problems.

Do you actually a VW car or do you have a hidden agenda? [shakehead]

1. VW now gives 3 yrs /100,000 warranty on their cars so how long can they drag for warranty? in fact, VW offers 1 yr warranty extension for a fee so it shows they stand by their products. As long as the claim is filed within the warranty period, VW will honour it. In fact, I've heard of cases whereby VW honoured warranty claims for cars which have warranties just expired, be it a few days or wks.

2. The service centre doesn't change anything unless they have pre-consulted you so it's not possible for them to anyhow add items for servicing. In fact, no workshop will do that becos they will be in trouble if the buyer refuses to pay up.

3. Warranty period is stated in black and white in the car documents so it's clear cut. If it's 3 yrs, it's stated 3 yrs. No dispute. Period

For those who are not aware, there is some bad blood between VW (who is the current agent) and the previous agent as both are still in legal suit after VW took over the dealership...

Unlike other car dealerships, VW themselves are handling the sales, maintenance and repair of cars. Their brand name is at stake here so I don't think VW will risk screwing up their own dealership. Not to mention, their asia pacific parts logistics HQ is also located in S'pore so you can expect parts to be readily available.

Take all this with a pinch of salt bro ..

make that a BIG pinch of SALT. highly suspicious of pp who just registered a few days ago and start smearing about a car brand. i smell a smear campaign from a competitor or someone with an axe to grind...

Edited by Jamesgetz

I owned a VW Caddy and I can say the service department is not that bad. The most it will take is 1-2 weeks and you will get a servicing slot. Also, I have no problem claiming warranty for the coolant reservoir tank even though only the sensor attached to it is faulty. Changing windscreen there also no issue. If you have small issues with the car, they will just take in and do it.

One more thing, the ang moh service manager actually answer emails himself.

But having said that, VW cars does have it's glitches. Mostly electronic fault and upgrade in software always seems to be the case.

It all depends on the preference of the drivers of that specific country. How can a brand be top in one country but bottom in another? Eg, do you consider a loose handle screw as a problem? Some people just screw it tight themself, just a minor isse and forget it, some will categorize it as a interior quality issue and log it.

Yeah bro, i agree with u.

In Australia, i saw a lot of Hyundai Getz running around....

Guess the Aussies like Hyundais....... [thumbsup]

make that a BIG pinch of SALT. highly suspicious of pp who just registered a few days ago and start smearing about a car brand. i smell a smear campaign from a competitor or someone with an axe to grind...

Not necessarily, as VW is not without its share of unreliability issues. That is a fact which is reported in many recent (last 5 years?) car reviews and buyer guides around the world.

I had owned a VW and I can confirm that the car has its significant share of problems, which I deem as much higher in terms of frequency and the 'irritation factor', than compared say, with Lexus, BMW and (even) Merc which I have also owned / or now own.

From your post, you appear to be a VW owner (perhaps a relatively new one) / supporter, hopefully not an employee of VCS ... so we should all take that dude's and your comments with big pinches of salt, since both of you seem to be coming from different camps. Why should we believe you more than him?

But then again, you cannot just rule out that what he says as totally untrue. He can still be a bona fide VW owner, with real issues and problems with his car.

Even in vagsg.com, there are a number of VW users who have long been with the forum, participated in GTGs, but still eventually swore off buying VWs thereafter, when they have had one too many reliability issues with the brand. So if forumers can post their heartaches with VW cars there, why not here in MCF?

MCF is not affiliated to any car brand, so we should allow for open discussions on cars, sh!t and faults included, as well as bouquets. But I think going around and insinuating that some bro's real complaints are just lies (without any form of substantiation) is I think taking it to an extreme and should be avoided in an open forum like this.

Not necessarily, as VW is not without its share of unreliability issues. That is a fact which is reported in many recent (last 5 years?) car reviews and buyer guides around the world.

I had owned a VW and I can confirm that the car has its significant share of problems, which I deem as much higher in terms of frequency and the 'irritation factor', than compared say, with Lexus, BMW and (even) Merc which I have also owned / or now own.

From your post, you appear to be a VW owner (perhaps a relatively new one) / supporter, hopefully not an employee of VCS ... so we should all take that dude's and your comments with big pinches of salt, since both of you seem to be coming from different camps. Why should we believe you more than him?

But then again, you cannot just rule out that what he says as totally untrue. He can still be a bona fide VW owner, with real issues and problems with his car.

Even in vagsg.com, there are a number of VW users who have long been with the forum, participated in GTGs, but still eventually swore off buying VWs thereafter, when they have had one too many reliability issues with the brand. So if forumers can post their heartaches with VW cars there, why not here in MCF?

MCF is not affiliated to any car brand, so we should allow for open discussions on cars, sh!t and faults included, as well as bouquets. But I think going around and insinuating that some bro's real complaints are just lies (without any form of substantiation) is I think taking it to an extreme and should be avoided in an open forum like this.

Yes, i'm a VW car owner and that's also why I dare to speak up the truth about VW car ownership based on my own personal experience and not based on hearsay. I have my fair share of rattles and little quirks with the car but nothing as serious as what someone has insinuated in this thread, esp when it comes to warranty. While I agree that the forum is open to all comments or complaints about any car brands or models but I don't think the forum should allow anyone to bash any brand or model with half-truths or hearsay. My point here is not to promote VW as the most reliable or even the best brand but I hope members will read ALL posts, including mine, with a pinch of SALT. Period.

I am a Volkswagen and Audi Car Owner.

I can guarantee you do not wish to purchase any Volkswagen Car in Singapore.

The Service Centre is extremely unreliable. And the level of support they will provide.

Do not be fooled by the showroom, as these places are meant to convince buyers.

Several VW owners friends of mine has suffered tremendously when they had to deal with service support.

1. Volkswagen will typically wear out your warranty by delaying your request for appointment.

2. You must also be very careful with the paper work dealings when you purchase a volkswagen or send your volkswagen (if you have bought it) for service.

Eg: If you have decided to purchase a Volkswagen, do ensure that they give you a car that has the same year of manufacturer as your year of purchase, they would give you a 2007 model (year of Manufacturer) and 2009 (Year of Registration)

Eg: If you managed to secure an appointment for service: Do confirm in writing the types of parts you wish to change, because they may intentionally miss out certain items on the invoices, or add extra items on the invoices.

Eg: This is also another favourite trick Volkswagen Service Ctr, i.e Charge you $100.00 for an hour rate to change a Battery and additional $300 for the battery. If you were to change your battery anywhere it should not cost more than $20, and its less than 20 mins.

3. The verbal communications are usually not documented, they could promise 3 year warranty, but if you must produce your original purchase receipts that proves 3 years warranty, otherwise it would be 2 year warranty. And during the 2 or 3 years, they could well delay up to 6 months before they grant you an appointment.

Lastly Volkwagen has the biggest Coolant and Overheating problems.

Uttering rubbish.

especially your 3 pt, 2 years warranty is offer to some owner who purchase the car I think before 2007-2008. 2 years unlimited miles.

THey switch to 3 years with 100 000km in mid 2008. The year, is only an estimate. Do you ever check what you purchase.

I have no problem getting my appointment. Normally one week ahead appointment and I get my battery change before 2 years free.

No question ask.

You better get your life sorted and to read what you sign.

Edited by Archon