Why volkswagen is rate one of the worse reliable car.

Pckwpckw

I am a Volkswagen and Audi Car Owner.

I can guarantee you do not wish to purchase any Volkswagen Car in Singapore.

The Service Centre is extremely unreliable. And the level of support they will provide.

Do not be fooled by the showroom, as these places are meant to convince buyers.

Several VW owners friends of mine has suffered tremendously when they had to deal with service support.

1. Volkswagen will typically wear out your warranty by delaying your request for appointment.

2. You must also be very careful with the paper work dealings when you purchase a volkswagen or send your volkswagen (if you have bought it) for service.

Eg: If you have decided to purchase a Volkswagen, do ensure that they give you a car that has the same year of manufacturer as your year of purchase, they would give you a 2007 model (year of Manufacturer) and 2009 (Year of Registration)

Eg: If you managed to secure an appointment for service: Do confirm in writing the types of parts you wish to change, because they may intentionally miss out certain items on the invoices, or add extra items on the invoices.

Eg: This is also another favourite trick Volkswagen Service Ctr, i.e Charge you $100.00 for an hour rate to change a Battery and additional $300 for the battery. If you were to change your battery anywhere it should not cost more than $20, and its less than 20 mins.

3. The verbal communications are usually not documented, they could promise 3 year warranty, but if you must produce your original purchase receipts that proves 3 years warranty, otherwise it would be 2 year warranty. And during the 2 or 3 years, they could well delay up to 6 months before they grant you an appointment.

Lastly Volkwagen has the biggest Coolant and Overheating problems.

I dont own one but have heard nightmare stories with reliability and aftersales service.

Friend dumped Passat after a year due to problems that couldnt be resolved, and yet asked for money to fix electronics.

Another A4 owner also stuck with radiator issues, both VW and Audi agents comehow cannot resolve without money changing hands ?

But to be fair, there are horror stories everywhere. Just that I wouldnt pay a premium price ( in Singapore ) for the same story.

Like they say, VW is the Toyota of Europe.

↡ Advertisement

I wouldn't touch also. Not so for the horror stories; but simply for the indecent premium pricing for a decent product.

Yeahlor, VCS trying to sell at the premiums like major continentals BMW, merc, PM of $27K - $30K.... :wacko:

At this level I would rather go for volvo & others... [cool]

if only they sell like toyota or having major promotion, I wouldn't mind getting one despite those hiccups... ^_^

My passat is not as bad coming to 4 years. It has its usual idiosyncracies but bearable. Really dependent on individual. Dealings with VGS during warranty period is ok.

Parts prices I felt are reasonable both at VGS and outside. Not as expensive for original parts which cannot compare with OEM or replacement parts from other suppliers- in which case Asian cars will have many such parts therefore cheaper.

Workshop prices outside are not cheap but bearable as these are quite well informed and uptodate. So instead of Q-time of 7 to 15days at VGS, drive in and out within same day possible at such other workshops.

I have owned a Toyota, Beemer and Honda in the last 10 yrs... The Beemer gave me the most problems (warranty issue) and has the highest running cost.

My bimmer also have a lot of mechanical problem. It is a norm just have to bare, paying premium price for low quality and unreliable product. 7 series is the worse, follow by 5 series in fact 3 series is better because they cannot fail on the 3 series as is their bread and butter car.

My bimmer also have a lot of mechanical problem. It is a norm just have to bare, paying premium price for low quality and unreliable product. 7 series is the worse, follow by 5 series in fact 3 series is better because they cannot fail on the 3 series as is their bread and butter car.

Strange how your view differs from the rest of us bimmer owners...

The bimmer is known for its solid mechanical build but if often plagued by electronics issues - still relatively minor...

I am beginning to suspect if you even own a bimmer at all

My VW Passat has been a joy... approaching 21 months now.

50,000km, and only had to be serviced 3 times (every 15,000) (and EACH servicing cost LESS than my Honda Civic)

There's no rattling sound in the car... and at traffic stops, if I slip it into neutral, it idles so quietly, my passengers think the engine was switched off... not to mention that there's little to no perceptible engine vibration. And during normal driving, gear changes are so smooth, the only way you know you've changed gear is the gear indicator and the slight change in rpm (falling from 2500 to 2000rpm).

The problem I get is that it's so tractable (LPT cars tend to be), I'm accelerating all the time, so my FC suffers.

And I've been using the autohold brake since getting it (laziness is addictive), so the rear brakes have to be changed (Front pads are barely half-used).

BTW, my barely 10 month old Civic which was very well made in Japan... it started to rattle a little everywhere. It could be due to the stiff suspension and my crazy driving... but I thought that it shouldn't have rattled more than my 16 year old Presea before I gave it up... sigh.

Overall, I would say Audi's reliability is so much poorer than BMW, or Mercedes Benz.

IMHO, bringing together FSI, TC (or TSI) and DSG technologies altogether, although they may appear/look facsinating initially (especially to the younger set), could turn out to be its road to eventual failure - mainly resulting from poorer long-term reliability, in getting the whole gamut of electro-mechnicals act last together.

Personally, I'd avoid.

BTW, my barely 10 month old Civic which was very well made in Japan... it started to rattle a little everywhere. It could be due to the stiff suspension and my crazy driving... but I thought that it shouldn't have rattled more than my 16 year old Presea before I gave it up... sigh.

The rattle problem is replicated in US-bound civics: http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2006...ility.html#more

Thanks for the info.

Now I'm happy to switch from Sporty to Luxury....

A Continental's suspension is amazingly progressive, with comfort when needed on bumpy roads, and stiffening hardness when taking corners aggressively...

My Civic's suspension was so stiff (especially with lower 45 profile tyres), I could feel it every time I roll over lane markings on highways and roads...

Thanks for the info.

Now I'm happy to switch from Sporty to Luxury....

A Continental's suspension is amazingly progressive, with comfort when needed on bumpy roads, and stiffening hardness when taking corners aggressively...

My Civic's suspension was so stiff (especially with lower 45 profile tyres), I could feel it every time I roll over lane markings on highways and roads...

But dun be too happy yet.

Make sure you change your wear and tear parts periodically. Dun miss any items out.

I rmb my uncle's Clio timing belt snapped at 60k km. Dunno whether to laugh or to sympathise him.

Edited by Alfisti168

Neutral Newbie

I am a Volkswagen and Audi Car Owner.

I can guarantee you do not wish to purchase any Volkswagen Car in Singapore.

The Service Centre is extremely unreliable. And the level of support they will provide.

Do not be fooled by the showroom, as these places are meant to convince buyers.

Several VW owners friends of mine has suffered tremendously when they had to deal with service support.

1. Volkswagen will typically wear out your warranty by delaying your request for appointment.

2. You must also be very careful with the paper work dealings when you purchase a volkswagen or send your volkswagen (if you have bought it) for service.

Eg: If you have decided to purchase a Volkswagen, do ensure that they give you a car that has the same year of manufacturer as your year of purchase, they would give you a 2007 model (year of Manufacturer) and 2009 (Year of Registration)

Eg: If you managed to secure an appointment for service: Do confirm in writing the types of parts you wish to change, because they may intentionally miss out certain items on the invoices, or add extra items on the invoices.

Eg: This is also another favourite trick Volkswagen Service Ctr, i.e Charge you $100.00 for an hour rate to change a Battery and additional $300 for the battery. If you were to change your battery anywhere it should not cost more than $20, and its less than 20 mins.

3. The verbal communications are usually not documented, they could promise 3 year warranty, but if you must produce your original purchase receipts that proves 3 years warranty, otherwise it would be 2 year warranty. And during the 2 or 3 years, they could well delay up to 6 months before they grant you an appointment.

Lastly Volkwagen has the biggest Coolant and Overheating problems.

I'm Jetta owner, I have replaced my battery twice within 2 months FOC , even they found the root cause was due to i replaced the HU and amp cause the battery drain, but they still charge me $0 for the work they carried out. I have no such problem as your ^_^

Neutral Newbie

I believe it should be pretty relaible. Just look at the VW Sanata, Passat used as taxi running around in China. Their driving pattern and traffic condition (Shanghai) is much worst than here.

that's because, VW has a plant in shanghai and VW in chinese is "大众

Neutral Newbie

Strange how your view differs from the rest of us bimmer owners...

The bimmer is known for its solid mechanical build but if often plagued by electronics issues - still relatively minor...

I am beginning to suspect if you even own a bimmer at all

You have been asking me this question many times already. But a lot of my friend have major problem with bimmer especially the gear box jerking and engine compression fail problem. Even engine need to overhaul at very low mileage. My personal problem is a nightmare for my 5 series. i m experiening all the above problem. In the UK rating BImmer is range 26 out of 33 in their reliability rating. Please check before u speak.

Must be joke of the year saying VW is one of the worse car.If really worse why the TSI/TDI engines can win world award?

awards arent linked to reliability.

look at the BMW 335i engine

You have been asking me this question many times already. But a lot of my friend have major problem with bimmer especially the gear box jerking and engine compression fail problem. Even engine need to overhaul at very low mileage. My personal problem is a nightmare for my 5 series. i m experiening all the above problem. In the UK rating BImmer is range 26 out of 33 in their reliability rating. Please check before u speak.

omg why u bring up a 1 year old thread and still scold him back haha.

VW. Audi and Skoda are using the same part. If one is reliable or un reliable, by right all should be the same.

But why we can see Skoda stay top in some reliable chart but not the other VW. Any idea why there is such a huge difference?

VW also owns Bugatti, Seat and Lamborghini.

↡ Advertisement