Top 8 reasons why real men drive manual

Prostcode

Tue, Oct 27, 2009

AsiaOne

20091027.114917_sepang_tnp.jpg

Top 8 reasons why real men drive manual

More and more Singaporeans are now favouring cars with automatic or semi-automatic transmissions.

Even car dealers find it impractical to bring in manual transmission cars (where can we get a six-speed manual Golf GTI without indenting one?).

It's a vicious cycle. But real men still drive manual cars, according to an AskMen.com article.

We list here their some of their top reasons:

8) A manual transmission is the ultimate in control

The manual transmission is for the alpha male, the one holding the TV remote. Men would rather be the boss than the subordinate. A car with a manual transmission lets the driver be the boss of the car, says AskMen.com. Throttle response will always be immediate unlike some modern automatic boxes. We tend to agree.

20091027.130602_vw_gti_manual.jpg

7) You can use motoring jargon and not sound like a total fool

Having the ability to drive stick can make you sound like an authority on all things motoring when chatting to the fairer sex, even if you don't know what you're blabbering about. Unless your date is a motoring journalist.

6) You can't spell "manual" without "man"

Our favourite reason among AskMen.com's top ten list. Manual transmission is man because you can't say one without saying the other. Try saying "manual" without first saying "man".

Automatic boxes aren't considered cool and they have nicknames to go along with it. "Slushbox", for instance. "Flappy paddle gearboxes" just doesn't cut it as well. To AskMen.com, "nothing flappy will ever be manly."

5) Manual transmissions prove you can multi-task

Society looks up to people who can multi-task complex motor movements. Just look at the guy who got famous by shaking his hands and legs in different directions. He got hired by Visa for their ads.

Shifting a manual car is also quite complex. You have to release the accelerator with the right foot, depress the clutch with the left, use your right hand to select a different gear and then simultaneously release the clutch as you accelerate, hoping to engage clutch and throttle at that optimum rpm.

4) You can't drift in an auto

Hmm. AskMen.com says drifting is the most extreme form of car control. Driving it sideways requires a massive set of, erm, courage, and a car with a manual transmission.

A manual transmission is beneficial for drifting because you can keep the engine in the sweet spot of its powerband. Try it in an auto and watch the fun die as the transmission shifts up early and kills the power.

20091027.131152_ivan_lim_drift_1.jpg

Ivan Lim, Singapore's top drift driver manoevuring his car in a drift movement.

20091027.131152_ivan_lim_drift.jpg

And him showng TNP reporter Joyce Lim the basics of drifting in his Toyota Chaser.

3) No more fancy moves in an automatic

There'll be no more heel-toe technique in an automatic, considered to be the elite driving manoeuvre in the motor racing world, says AskMen.com.

The heel-toe manoeuvre allows one to downshift, rev-match and brake all at once.

The driver will operate the clutch normally with the left foot. The ball of the right foot will be on the brake, slowing the car down, while at the same time the right heel of the foot will "blip" the throttle during gear change. This will match engine speed to the wheel speed. Benefits? It keeps the engine in the desired powerband and reduces drivetrain jolt, greatly reducing wear and tear on the transmission.

2) Manual transmission cars are more fun

Having control over your is advantageous. An engine performs best at a certain rpm range, the "sweet spot" so to speak. At the "sweet spot" the power curve generally gets more aggressive.

With a manual car, says AskMen.com, you can find out exactly where this sweet spot is and keep the car there. But with an automatic, the car will most probably shift up before you hit the spot.

1) You'll never look bad if you can drive manual

A friend lent you his car to drive because he's too drunk to get behind the wheel. And being the nice guy that you are, you'll send the ladies home too. Imagine the embarrassment you feel when you reach the car, only to find that it is a manual. Which you can't drive because you're lazy enough to take your driving test in an automatic car. Real men have never experienced such embarrassment.

Source: http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/Drive...027-176180.html

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Top 8 reasons why you bought an Automatic ....

8. AD imports only the automatic version

7. No PI interested to bring in manual version

6. Lower demand for used manual version (low resale value)

5. Always stuck in traffic jam ... and your foot goes numb

4. You are right handed ... right hand cannot reach the shift stick

3. You are left handed ... left hand needed to handle the steering wheel

2. Your wife got Class 3A license and you cannot afford a second car

1. Failed driving tests so many times that you finally settle for a Class 3A license.

LOL!!! Any other reason???

skxly

Visit my blog http://SingaporeMotoring.blogspot.com/

skxly

My friend's left hand got no fingers one. Only the palm. Born like that, i think.. And he only drives sticks. RESPECT!!

Im glad you all like the article.

For me I'm deeply saddened by the fact that now got lesser and lesser manual cars.

Thank God for Honda performance cars.. Like Civic Type R, Integra Type R, EG6, EG9, EK4 SIR, EK9. These cars will always and only be manual they BETTER DAMN BE (but of course)!!!

Not just Honda performance cars. Even EVO (not saying the new EVO 10 with SST)... EVO 9 and below.

But, WRX got Auto leh. Luckily got STI :D

1. Failed driving tests so many times that you finally settle for a Class 3A license.

skxly

Actually I feel point 5 is not completely correct. In fact, I feel a manual car is better for heavy traffic or jams. For example, when stopping in heavy traffic, manual car can put to neutral, thereby freeing up both your legs. Also if wanting to switch lane in heavy traffic, a manual transmission can give more instaneous movement to do so.

skxly

Can Sor the Kar Tui or else where of chicks when driving [lipsrsealed]

Edited by Mzrmazda3

Neutral Newbie

even if u dun drive an auto car but having class 3 MANual license u can drive almost any car, van or small truck....unlike guys wif 3A license suck a pity...hehe!

with MANual car u can MANeuver the car beta or drive so damn fast like a MANiac haha!

2 more reasons:

Cheaper

Fuel saving

just kidding...too lazy to manual drive a car...would love to experience if there is an opportunity

Actually your 2 reasons are valid. Comparing the same make and model. [nod]

got got... one more reason...

when i booked for my FL vios, tat time was the last batch b4 they brought in belta version... asked the SE for manual, she told me sold out even for the test drived car... :blink:

so i hav to settle for auto lor...

Neutral Newbie

even if u dun drive an auto car but having class 3 MANual license u can drive almost any car, van or small truck....unlike guys wif 3A license such a pity...hehe!

with MANual car u can MANoeuver the car much beta or even drive so damn fast like a MANiac haha! bite me! ;p

Edited by Mizzy

Actually I feel point 5 is not completely correct. In fact, I feel a manual car is better for heavy traffic or jams. For example, when stopping in heavy traffic, manual car can put to neutral, thereby freeing up both your legs. Also if wanting to switch lane in heavy traffic, a manual transmission can give more instaneous movement to do so.

That point is valid since it's about leg numb. I does get leg numb after a jam, especially causeway jam. After a jam my feet can have no feeling, start-stop traffic can't really put neutral and rest, such case auto is better. If traffic stops for long time, for auto also can put to neutral.

When I'm driving manual, I always wish for a auto when I'm in a jam, especially after a tiring day or after a long drive (NSHW). Got once I drive for about 10 hours to perak, with causeway jam and highway jam, how I wish I'm driving a auto on that day.

Neutral Newbie

what if want to switch lane in heavy traffic then engine stall? [laugh] [laugh]