Top 8 reasons why real men drive manual

Prostcode

Neutral Newbie

its really a bo liao article by tis Askmen.com....

2) Manual transmission cars are more fun

Having control over your is advantageous. An engine performs best at a certain rpm range, the "sweet spot" so to speak. At the "sweet spot" the power curve generally gets more aggressive.

With a manual car, says AskMen.com, you can find out exactly where this sweet spot is and keep the car there. But with an automatic, the car will most probably shift up before you hit the spot.

> pls explain tat to all the auto drivers in sg.. before making tis comment... self-ego thinking again... maybe no $ to buy auto..tats y say MT more fun...

Not entirely true there are some car makes or models which cannot get manual from AD so have to go via PI and they charge more for manual than auto. So who is the poorer bloke or lass now haha... I also sincerely believe manual is alot more fun than auto after having driven and owned both as well.

Actually I feel point 5 is not completely correct. In fact, I feel a manual car is better for heavy traffic or jams. For example, when stopping in heavy traffic, manual car can put to neutral, thereby freeing up both your legs. Also if wanting to switch lane in heavy traffic, a manual transmission can give more instaneous movement to do so.

Acutally Auto can also put to neutral.

Hehe... i think i will act on why real man drive Auto.

Real man don't need a machine to tell him he is alpha male. He is so confidence that he can drive a Auto and know he is alpha male. (dont punch me...)

Acutally Auto can also put to neutral.

Of course also can, except the transmission will "up lorry" faster if you do it too often in heavy traffic.

Of course also can, except the transmission will "up lorry" faster if you do it too often in heavy traffic.

Is zi?? i had been doing that for the pass 3 years.. Nothing seems to happen to my auto... guess i am lucky.

Neutral Newbie

Is zi?? i had been doing that for the pass 3 years.. Nothing seems to happen to my auto... guess i am lucky.

Dont think anyone can say its a proven belief but mechanically it makes sense especially for CVT gearbox. Not sure about traditional auto gearbox which is made up of manual gears essentially... (someone pls correct me if I am wrong as I am not sure)

its really a bo liao article by tis Askmen.com....

8) A manual transmission is the ultimate in control

The manual transmission is for the alpha male, the one holding the TV remote. Men would rather be the boss than the subordinate. A car with a manual transmission lets the driver be the boss of the car, says AskMen.com. Throttle response will always be immediate unlike some modern automatic boxes.

> just holding the tv remote can make a man feels like in control... then i think tis man really got no life. Hold the manual stick mean the boss of the car.. come'on...fully control of the steering of the steering also can be the boss of your car de ma.. its really MCP thinking..

7) You can use motoring jargon and not sound like a total fool

Having the ability to drive stick can make you sound like an authority on all things motoring when chatting to the fairer sex, even if you don't know what you're blabbering about. Unless your date is a motoring journalist.

> same as above, holding the steering FULLY IN CONTROL can also sound like an authority on all things when chatting to the fairer sex.. 'fairer sex'... u see..MCP thinking again... its individual perception of MCP man..

6) You can't spell "manual" without "man"

Our favourite reason among AskMen.com's top ten list. Manual transmission is man because you can't say one without saying the other. Try saying "manual" without first saying "man".

Automatic boxes aren't considered cool and they have nicknames to go along with it. "Slushbox", for instance. "Flappy paddle gearboxes" just doesn't cut it as well. To AskMen.com, "nothing flappy will ever be manly."

> haha.. i can also say..Man who is always using manual stick need ppl to push to do their job (manual ma, no push, no movement).. where automatic man do things w/o being told... MCP again.. whos rite now?

5) Manual transmissions prove you can multi-task

Society looks up to people who can multi-task complex motor movements. Just look at the guy who got famous by shaking his hands and legs in different directions. He got hired by Visa for their ads.

Shifting a manual car is also quite complex. You have to release the accelerator with the right foot, depress the clutch with the left, use your right hand to select a different gear and then simultaneously release the clutch as you accelerate, hoping to engage clutch and throttle at that optimum rpm.

> not really... i believe many CEOs in the world drive auto car too... even our MM Lee dun even need to drive.... but still can so multi tasking to take care of sg...

4) You can't drift in an auto

Hmm. AskMen.com says drifting is the most extreme form of car control. Driving it sideways requires a massive set of, erm, courage, and a car with a manual transmission.

A manual transmission is beneficial for drifting because you can keep the engine in the sweet spot of its powerband. Try it in an auto and watch the fun die as the transmission shifts up early and kills the power.

> lol... show me they can drift on sg road LOL..... not valid point leh.. EGO problem

3) No more fancy moves in an automatic

There'll be no more heel-toe technique in an automatic, considered to be the elite driving manoeuvre in the motor racing world, says AskMen.com.

The heel-toe manoeuvre allows one to downshift, rev-match and brake all at once.

The driver will operate the clutch normally with the left foot. The ball of the right foot will be on the brake, slowing the car down, while at the same time the right heel of the foot will "blip" the throttle during gear change. This will match engine speed to the wheel speed. Benefits? It keeps the engine in the desired powerband and reduces drivetrain jolt, greatly reducing wear and tear on the transmission.

> wat fancy moves u wan in sg road...

2) Manual transmission cars are more fun

Having control over your is advantageous. An engine performs best at a certain rpm range, the "sweet spot" so to speak. At the "sweet spot" the power curve generally gets more aggressive.

With a manual car, says AskMen.com, you can find out exactly where this sweet spot is and keep the car there. But with an automatic, the car will most probably shift up before you hit the spot.

> pls explain tat to all the auto drivers in sg.. before making tis comment... self-ego thinking again... maybe no $ to buy auto..tats y say MT more fun...

1) You'll never look bad if you can drive manual

A friend lent you his car to drive because he's too drunk to get behind the wheel. And being the nice guy that you are, you'll send the ladies home too. Imagine the embarrassment you feel when you reach the car, only to find that it is a manual. Which you can't drive because you're lazy enough to take your driving test in an automatic car. Real men have never experienced such embarrassment.

> wah la.. who cares whether u look nice or bad when u close up the door n drive... u create tis scenario to make MT drivers look 'macho'... quite stpid rite... MCP MCP

btw, i am driving both MT n auto (so no bias thinking here)... its your control in life towards ur frens, family m work tat makes u A REAL MAN...not a CAR!! get a life... MC Piggy

yes the article is a stupid analogy

then how about formula 1 drivers?

and i dun think drifting is a test of drivers skill....

being in ultimate control is being able to corner or control a vehicle at high speeds.....and taking on hairpins turns and apexes

Manual driver for years liao... Since 2003 till now....

Manual gives u more control, though at Traffic jams, U wish its auto...

Otherwise, Manual imho, gives me more driving experience, and makes me less sleepy during driving.. Hee... thus less dangerous

Are you driving a sports car that need so much control?

Some questions...

1) if a car loses control during turn, or speeding... auto or manual car more likely to recover?

2) why some sports model offers manual only?

3) if someone enjoy "playing" with cars, he/she would choose manual, no?

IMO it has nothing to do with REAL men. It's just preference.

don understand why people must take the article so seriously...

tongue in cheek leh.. [rolleyes]

ya..its supposed to be a bo liao way of expressing the thoughts. just read and forget.

Some questions...

1) if a car loses control during turn, or speeding... auto or manual car more likely to recover?

Ever have car change gear halfway round corner and see what it does to handling?

Ever have car run out of brakes halfway down hill.

Which car does this happen to - Auto or Manual?

Dont think anyone can say its a proven belief but mechanically it makes sense especially for CVT gearbox. Not sure about traditional auto gearbox which is made up of manual gears essentially... (someone pls correct me if I am wrong as I am not sure)

I'm not hte right person to explain this, I am sure a mechanical engineer can do better.

But the technology in manual and auto gearboxes is markedly different.

In a manual it is a series of different sized cogs (remember your old 10 speed bicycle?) while in an auto oil is forced over a ridged wheel. (this is why auto smoother, but doesn't engine brake as well)

↡ Advertisement