Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)

Achtung

Just got the 70mai set from tb. Good deal at under $55.

External valves, so far so good. the screen also is clear and simple enough to view

Exter

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

30 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Get Steelmate TPMS from TB for RMB229

My latest internal one costs 30 bucks only (Shopee). Responsive and accurate. Same model external type even cheaper. 

if internal TPMS sensor,

after rotating tyres the value on the display will be messed up?

do the TPMS systems allow to 'reset the positions'?

Also if do 5-tyres rotation, then internal TPMS is no go? is very troublesome right?

48 minutes ago, GaryFoo said:

if internal TPMS sensor,

Also if do 5-tyres rotation, then internal TPMS is no go? is very troublesome right?

Can reset. Got to deflate and then inflate one by one. Some allow front rear rotation or left right with single command. 

4 hours ago, GaryFoo said:

if internal TPMS sensor,

External is better.  It functions as a valve cap.  If the battery runs out, you can change easily.  You also do not need to worry about changing tires or tires rotation.  Generally, external valve cap type is cheaper too (a few < S$20) in Shopee or Lazada.

On a truck, external OK. But on a car, they are ugly. 

Internal ones will last the life of the tyres, about 4, 5 years. After that buy a new set ($30 to $40) together with new tyres.

On 7/28/2020 at 9:19 PM, awhtc said:

External is better.  It functions as a valve cap.  If the battery runs out, you can change easily.  You also do not need to worry about changing tires or tires rotation.  Generally, external valve cap type is cheaper too (a few < S$20) in Shopee or Lazada.

agreed that external is better, is spoil can easily diy change anytime 

• Praise 1

Thanks folks for the recommendation.

I have just gotten an external set of TPMS at around $25. 

I have 1 question.

I took out the valve caps from the wheels and screw in the sensors.  Would this be adequately secured.

They  provide me with a wrench and a set of thin hexagonal washers.  I believe the washers have to be placed first before screwing in the sensors and then push towards the sensors to be  back-tightened with the given small wrench.  I believe they are more for theft prevention so that no passers-by could unscrew easily without a tool.  But this step would be troublesome if we are pumping the tyres at the kiosk.

Can I do without the thin hexagonal washer and wrench?  Will the sensor loosen over time and cause leakage?

17 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

They  provide me with a wrench and a set of thin hexagonal washers.  I believe the washers have to be placed first before screwing in the sensors and then push towards the sensors to be  back-tightened with the given small wrench.  

Like u say the rear hex nut at the back is for prevent loosening and theft of your  sensor.

It won't  effect the reading of the pressure at all.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Albeniz said:

I have 1 question.

I took out the valve caps from the wheels and screw in the sensors.  Would this be adequately secured.

They  provide me with a wrench and a set of thin hexagonal washers.  I believe the washers have to be placed first before screwing in the sensors and then push towards the sensors to be  back-tightened with the given small wrench.  I believe they are more for theft prevention so that no passers-by could unscrew easily without a tool.  But this step would be troublesome if we are pumping the tyres at the kiosk.

Can I do without the thin hexagonal washer and wrench?  Will the sensor loosen over time and cause leakage?

Don’t bother with the nuts. In the beginning, you will be very on but after a while also bochap liao.

The sensors are configured to your unit so the guy take also no use unless it’s mischief. 

I just screwed on the sensors tight, still around after a year.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Albeniz said:

I have 1 question.

I suggest that you put the hex. washer. Cos you hardly need to touch it. It's better to secure the sensors. 

Things to take note is do not over tighten the sensors. You will damage the seal and it will leak slowly.

With the hex washer you dont need to worry about it losening out. You also dont have to worry about tighten the sensor too little or too much. 

It's also good to change the rubber stem valves to metal ones. I find the rubber type prone to leak, metal ones will be more reliable. Cost more of course.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

3 hours ago, Albeniz said:

I have 1 question.

Yes for theft prevention, not necessary  if not every time u pump air will need to go through the hassle of taking out first. anyway item is cheap if spoil just get a new set. 

• Praise 3

18 minutes ago, daviddedwin said:

What do folks think of just manually checking the tire pressure first thing in the morning as part of the starting checklist. I have a pressure gauge in the glove box and check the tires every couple of weeks. The tires need to be checked when they are cold so it is better to have a pressure gauge instead of driving to the pump and checking there. I know a manual pressure guage is hardly like an automatic TPMS but its so much more cheaper 🙂

You must be Army MT line trained! First Parade Tasks! 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

4 minutes ago, daviddedwin said:

What do folks think of just manually checking the tire pressure first thing in the morning as part of the starting checklist. I have a pressure gauge in the glove box and check the tires every couple of weeks. The tires need to be checked when they are cold so it is better to have a pressure gauge instead of driving to the pump and checking there. I know a manual pressure guage is hardly like an automatic TPMS but its so much more cheaper 🙂

IMHO.
Actually, the TPMS is there to monitor the tire pressure in between the manual checks. 
My external TPMS will take quite sometime to display the temperature/pressure.  In that sense,  the manual tire gauge would be more suitable. 

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
Actually, the TPMS is there to monitor the tire pressure in between the manual checks. 
My external TPMS will take quite sometime to display the temperature/pressure.  In that sense,  the manual tire gauge would be more suitable. 

take some time meaning? what brand are you using

21 minutes ago, daviddedwin said:

1) If manual check everyday, you will need to topup the tire pressure faster. Everytime you check the pressure, there will be air leak. Not much each time, but still leak and will need to top up sooner.

2) TPMS will monitor your tire pressure during the whole journey. Manual check only at the start of the journey. 

I experienced once when driving in the MCE tunnel, when approaching the Keppel road side exit, sudden heard a loud pop sound and my TPMS showed front left tyre pressure does down to zero in a few seconds. Can still drive and don't feel much issue. I pulled over slowly to the side and stopped to checked. The front left tyre went flat.

Continue to drive slowly to the nearest petrol station and then call for assistance. If without TPMS, I might just continue to drive till I reach destination normally. That could be dangerous, especially when need to react in situations.

• Praise 3

19 minutes ago, Dafansu said:

take some time meaning? what brand are you using

Eh... no brand one leh. 
I power on the TPMS console,  the detection time for the sensors on the wheel will be random.  Can take minutes.  Maybe is user (me) error,  I don't know.

↡ Advertisement