Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)

Achtung

19 minutes ago, Sx4falcon said:

1) If manual check everyday, you will need to topup the tire pressure faster. Everytime you check the pressure, there will be air leak. Not much each time, but still leak and will need to top up sooner.

2) TPMS will monitor your tire pressure during the whole journey. Manual check only at the start of the journey. 

I experienced once when driving in the MCE tunnel, when approaching the Keppel road side exit, sudden heard a loud pop sound and my TPMS showed front left tyre pressure does down to zero in a few seconds. Can still drive and don't feel much issue. I pulled over slowly to the side and stopped to checked. The front left tyre went flat.

Continue to drive slowly to the nearest petrol station and then call for assistance. If without TPMS, I might just continue to drive till I reach destination normally. That could be dangerous, especially when need to react in situations.

Good example. 
TPMS also good to detect slow leak.   Higher speed and low pressure to me is a no-no. 

↡ Advertisement

On 11/11/2020 at 8:51 AM, Albeniz said:

Thanks folks for the recommendation.

I have just gotten an external set of TPMS at around $25. 

I have 1 question.

I took out the valve caps from the wheels and screw in the sensors.  Would this be adequately secured.

They  provide me with a wrench and a set of thin hexagonal washers.  I believe the washers have to be placed first before screwing in the sensors and then push towards the sensors to be  back-tightened with the given small wrench.  I believe they are more for theft prevention so that no passers-by could unscrew easily without a tool.  But this step would be troublesome if we are pumping the tyres at the kiosk.

Can I do without the thin hexagonal washer and wrench?  Will the sensor loosen over time and cause leakage?

I just screw the sensors in without the hexagonal washers.  So far so good.  There is a chance the poorly made sensors may cause gradual leakage.

• Praise 1

On 11/11/2020 at 10:58 AM, Fcw75 said:

Don’t bother with the nuts. In the beginning, you will be very on but after a while also bochap liao.

The sensors are configured to your unit so the guy take also no use unless it’s mischief. 

I just screwed on the sensors tight, still around after a year.

exactly.... i have used 2 different sets on 3 cars over 2years. no problems at all.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Sx4falcon said:

1) If manual check everyday, you will need to topup the tire pressure faster. Everytime you check the pressure, there will be air leak. Not much each time, but still leak and will need to top up sooner.

2) TPMS will monitor your tire pressure during the whole journey. Manual check only at the start of the journey. 

I experienced once when driving in the MCE tunnel, when approaching the Keppel road side exit, sudden heard a loud pop sound and my TPMS showed front left tyre pressure does down to zero in a few seconds. Can still drive and don't feel much issue. I pulled over slowly to the side and stopped to checked. The front left tyre went flat.

Continue to drive slowly to the nearest petrol station and then call for assistance. If without TPMS, I might just continue to drive till I reach destination normally. That could be dangerous, especially when need to react in situations.

you managed to save the tire? i killed my relatively new 5000km tire as i didn't know it was flat and continued driving. when at the shop, dismounted the tire and could see lots of rubber dust inside. now a TPMS is a real savior

• Praise 2

No. Tire gone. Anyway, tires was already 40k+ km. So just change all 4.

Had similar experience before.

Before installing the TPMS, 1 of my tire was flat, and my wife didn't know when she drove to market and come back. When I drove it later, I heard sound coming from the tire. Checked then realised it was flat. Only did 8k then. Tire gone. Only changed that tire as the other 3 were relatively new.

After that I decided to get the TPMS. And it had saved my tires over multiple occasions.

Small investment, but well spent.

• Praise 4

4 hours ago, Kklee said:

Eh... no brand one leh. 
I power on the TPMS console,  the detection time for the sensors on the wheel will be random.  Can take minutes.  Maybe is user (me) error,  I don't know.

I've no issue on mine though, on my 3rd set, once enter the car detect vibration, the set will auto on and show the reading already. 

1 minute ago, Dafansu said:

I've no issue on mine though, on my 3rd set, once enter the car detect vibration, the set will auto on and show the reading already. 

Maybe different brand / model.  I bought it because it was low cost and has temperature. 
I have another set that plug into the cigarette lighter socket which i use side by side.
I monitor them in real-time and the difference for pressure is about 1 PSI.
The latter is more sensitive and in a way,  more accurate.   

5 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

Any brand or model to recommend for external TPMS?

Most are quite the same, it's a matter of design preference. Anyway I bought this a few months ago for its compact size and solar powered. Pretty accurate. I paid a few dollars more for internal sensors. Today just experienced a sudden drop in one wheel and went to pump immediately. 

Screenshot_20201112_205833.thumb.jpg.b36f6267e24b0a395d50205fb0208d31.jpg

• Praise 4

8 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

You must be Army MT line trained! First Parade Tasks! 

My first parade task during NS then was to check out canteen to break fast. Nowadays I check out kitchen or kpt to break fast.

When I sleep, I fast, no? 😁

• Haha! 2

17 hours ago, daviddedwin said:

What do folks think of just manually checking the tire pressure first thing in the morning as part of the starting checklist. I have a pressure gauge in the glove box and check the tires every couple of weeks. The tires need to be checked when they are cold so it is better to have a pressure gauge instead of driving to the pump and checking there. I know a manual pressure guage is hardly like an automatic TPMS but its so much more cheaper 🙂

Mine is the cheap solar powered type so I just leave it on the dashboard.  I will check on the pressures by glancing at the device at least once when I start the engine because it will auto wake up with a beep and light up when I close my door.

• Praise 3

4 minutes ago, awhtc said:

Mine is the cheap solar powered type so I just leave it on the dashboard.  I will check on the pressures by glancing at the device at least once when I start the engine because it will auto wake up with a beep and light up when I close my door.

Got URL to see it ?   Thanks.

• Praise 1

37 minutes ago, awhtc said:

Dont mean to be cynical but is this solar type safe to be place under our hot sun here? The cabin can heat up to very much higher temperature than the outside when the car and windows are left shut. 

i had mine for a while, was the cheap $15 taobao unbranded one,  ended up not using it cause was parking in both sheltered carparks at home and at work and it didnt get enough sun time. but was working well when i was using it.

I would assume that it is fine, as long as it does not disintegrate and damage the dash, i guess no harm.  if it spoils, just chuck it in the bin. $15, no need to think so much.

• Praise 1

11 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Dont mean to be cynical but is this solar type safe to be place under our hot sun here? The cabin can heat up to very much higher temperature than the outside when the car and windows are left shut. 

Your dash cams will spoil first before the simple TPMS receiver. My old solar TPMS was on the windscreen for a few years. No issue till one sensor kapuk.

• Praise 1

just chose a random carosuel ad that showed the same thing. you have a choice of monchrome or color. with color costing a few bucks more.

https://www.carousell.sg/p/tpms-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-1048082350/?t-id=1123946_1604989826464&t-referrer_browse_type=search_results&t-referrer_request_id=rRxE9ZX74H9TjBR_&t-referrer_search_query=tpms&t-referrer_sort_by=popular

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1