Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)

Achtung

imho, getting this tpms thing is no diff from getting those voltage,vacuum and pressure gauges you always see on boy racer cars. you dont need electronics to tell you about a flat/punctured tire. i feel people who install this just wants to have more things to look at while driving, which in turns causes distractions and danger. and seriously, even if you do install this system will you always be looking at it whenever you're driving to see if its out of range? nope. save the 200+ and get better tires or even run flats. no need worry so much and distract yourself.

How does getting better tyres prevent puncture by nails/screws? It's still made of rubber after all.

TPMS is different from those gauges.

Sometimes very hard to detect a flat tyre esp at night and if it's at the rear. You just want to drive off to your next destination.

You can set the device to beep if one of the tyres fall below a certain pressure then you know there's a leak.

Edited by Fcw75
↡ Advertisement

How does getting better tyres prevent puncture by nails/screws? It's still made of rubber after all.

Sometimes very hard to detect a flat tyre esp at night and if it's at the rear. You just want to drive off to your next destination.

You can set the device to beep if one of the tyres fall below a certain pressure then you know there's a leak.

I agree.

TPMS is very different from those gauges and it is a practical application.

For me, a couple of encounters caused me to make this investment. As a number of bros have said, sometimes it is difficult to detect a leaking tyre and for that, my TPMS has been very helpful in this aspect to prevent a totally flat tyre.

TPMS is essential

i don't even look at it or check it frequently

but when there is a lost pressure ... it alerts you straighaway and which tyre ... [thumbsup]

Edited by Wt_know

TPMS doesnt prevent puncture by nails/screws also what LOL

better tyres dont prevent a puncture but run flats will save you if there's a puncture. all the TPMS will do is annoy the living daylights out of you by constantly beeping to tell you its flat/leaking.

anyways, if you really do have a puncture or flat tyre, you'll definitely be able to feel it. regardless if its in the front or the rear. its a good habit to pump your tyres very fortnightly too. saves your petrol. i do it every week since the petrol station is really near my house.

imho, getting this tpms thing is no diff from getting those voltage,vacuum and pressure gauges you always see on boy racer cars. you dont need electronics to tell you about a flat/punctured tire. i feel people who install this just wants to have more things to look at while driving, which in turns causes distractions and danger. and seriously, even if you do install this system will you always be looking at it whenever you're driving to see if its out of range? nope. save the 200+ and get better tires or even run flats. no need worry so much and distract yourself.

I beg to differ...

TPMS is important beause an over/ under inflated tyre will affect your braking, stability and handling of your car. If you think its distracting to know the condition of the most critical part of your car, then I would suggest you to remove your odometer... since the speed, RPM, temp etc is even more distracting...

better tyres dont prevent a puncture but run flats will save you if there's a puncture. all the TPMS will do is annoy the living daylights out of you by constantly beeping to tell you its flat/leaking.

anyways, if you really do have a puncture or flat tyre, you'll definitely be able to feel it. regardless if its in the front or the rear. its a good habit to pump your tyres very fortnightly too. saves your petrol. i do it every week since the petrol station is really near my house.

If you dunno, dont anyhow comment, you are misleading the rest. A punchured rear tyre is almost non detectable! ... for front tyre, yes, its extremely obvious.

Edited by Tigershark1976
  • Praise 2

Up to you la boy boy.

It's your choice, drive safe.

• Praise 2

I beg to differ...

TPMS is important beause an over/ under inflated tyre will affect your braking, stability and handling of your car. If you think its distracting to know the condition of the most critical part of your car, then I would suggest you to remove your odometer... since the speed, RPM, temp etc is even more distracting...

If you dunno, dont anyhow comment, you are misleading the rest. A punchured rear tyre is almost non detectable! ... for front tyre, yes, its extremely obvious.

*punctured

Why you raging sia LOL i'm just saying what i feel. How to drive without speedo and tacho. There's a reason why car manufacturers put them there. And there's a reason why they dont include tpms. i'm not here to argue w you but what you just said is like challenging every car manufacturer's reason for including the dash readouts

Up to you la boy boy.

It's your choice, drive safe.

Thanks for the kindly advice ah gong(: appreciate it

• Praise 1

I beg to differ...

Since TPMS like TyreDog and Orange became available and affordable, my last handful of cars have been installed with them. The benefits far outweigh the costs. For people who are mulling to buy it - I say just go for it. You won't regret it and no loss in the very unlikely event you somehow don't like it.

It's interesting I've seen some people commenting why need it when they can visually inspect it. I thought the same thing as well these people should remove their speedometer since they can use their eyes to gauge speed. [smash]

Well, in the end, there are still people who would say why you need a smartphone when a simple phone suffice since all you use a phone for is to make calls.

Edited by Reo
  • Praise 4

Supersonic

TPMS is like any other tool.

If you're willing to spend the money, you get the benefits.

If you're not willing to spend the money, then every tool is a waste of money to you.

Why pay for a hammer when your trusty test-pen can function as a screwdriver, a hammer, a pry bar and everything under the sun ?

Or use the right tool for the right job ?

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Since TPMS like TyreDog and Orange became available and affordable, my last handful of cars have been installed with them. The benefits far outweigh the costs. For people who are mulling to buy it - I say just go for it. You won't regret it and no loss in the very unlikely event you somehow don't like it.

It's interesting I've seen some people commenting why need it when they can visually inspect it. I thought the same thing as well these people should remove their speedometer since they can use their eyes to gauge speed. [smash]

Well, in the end, there are still people who would say why you need a smartphone when a simple phone suffice since all you use a phone for is to make calls.

how's the sensor of the Orange?

read that the newer version of sensor, seems to be more energy efficient etc..

been pondering for a while, thinking of getting it for long distance drive, least it's safer

• Praise 2

My factory fitted TPMS served me well, the last time when my car went over some small debris on the side of the road which i thought was fine and i was about to turn into the expressway. The TPMS start to warn me about depressurizing of my rear driver side tire and i decide not to proceed to CTE but instead to a nearby tyre shop and found that the debris seem to have gave my tyre a cut which is letting off air. If i had turn into the CTE without any warning, for another 5 mins i will have been struck on the highway which is more troublesome to seek help or to replace tyres with spare.

FYI i had to replace the tyres as the cut is beyond repair.

It is not a must have gadget but good to have info.

On the daily drive, it help to tell me when i need to pump up the tyres...

• Praise 1

Supersonic

been pondering for a while, thinking of getting it for long distance drive, least it's safer

I have tyredog. Save me many times already.

When you're in a hurry, you jump into your car and drive off.

The alarm beeps and you know a tyre is leaking/flat.

You can stop and/or fix it, before you drive until the flat tyre blows.

If you have expensive tyres, it will save you a lot more.

With so many construction sites all over SG everyday, everywhere, the chances of picking up screws and nails is very high.

• Praise 1

I beg to differ...

Ya it got once front left tyre puncture, didn't know about it until I was highlighted by passerby while I was waiting for my friend outside his house. Come out and take a look, wa it is flat. But thinking why drive like no much difference. Lucky it's a slow leak, managed to pump full air at nearby petrol station and slowly drive to tyre shop to patch the tyre. Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

I have tyredog. Save me many times already.

When you're in a hurry, you jump into your car and drive off.

The alarm beeps and you know a tyre is leaking/flat.

You can stop and/or fix it, before you drive until the flat tyre blows.

If you have expensive tyres, it will save you a lot more.

With so many construction sites all over SG everyday, everywhere, the chances of picking up screws and nails is very high.

tyredog, operates differently compare to the orange.

the sensor is at the cap, which i kinda worried..

if those itchy hands, steal the Tyre cap..

there goes the sensor..

how much you got yours for?

the last time that i check on orange, was around $220

I believe the Oranges sensors are the same - I can't tell you for sure because they're installed in the tyres. The batteries in the sensors in general last a long time.

What really matters is the display. I've the latest P420a and the model before. They're fine - showing pressure and temperature. You can also set the threshold for both pressure and temperature alarm.

The display is pretty tiny, using mini-USB jack for power. Do note the input voltage is 12v and not 5v.

Go for it - with installation it's no more than $250.

there goes the sensor..

From my experience using both TyreDog and Orange, they work the same. Only difference is TyreDog has a version for the sensors to be installed externally. I once needed this version because it's a 20" and there's no space for internal.

Yes, there's a risk of it stolen. I might be lucky for not losing any in the 6 years I had them. I used the locking nuts. Anyways, TyreDog is clever to design the sensor useless if used on other display.

I had used 2 types of TPMS.

The Orange and Steelmate.

The Orange one uses a sensor that is part of the tyre valve and has to be attached to the rims.

Pro: cannot be stolen. Cons: when do tyre rotation, have to either swap the corresponding display via the control module module or remember which display figure is for which tyre.

I found Orange to be accurate but not lasting. Whenever I did a tyre rotation or physically swapped the sensor due to rim change the sensor will stop working. Have replaced quite a few times under warranty until I gave up.

The Steelmate is those sensor screwed onto valve type. So cons is it can be stolen.

The display is a much simpler one with 1 tyre's pressure displayed at any one time and it cycles through all 4.

TPMS is good to have. Especially for tracking. But in normal road usage, I had once got a warning after it slow leak throughout the night. So I pumped it up at a nearby kiosk and limped to a tyre repair shop. Without it I might have driven on and probably damage the tyre further or even the rims.

So I will recommend to have 1.

Cheers!

• Praise 1

Supersonic

there goes the sensor..

how much you got yours for?

the last time that i check on orange, was around $220

I think I paid around $220.

I use external sensor, bcuz the battery is replaceable.

It seems internal sensor battery can't be replaced.

So far, it has not been stolen, maybe bcuz it's black and unattractive.

But I got my chrome cap stolen before, probably by kids.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1