Malaysia: Road Trip to Desaru.....

Ticklish8

On 11/19/2019 at 3:28 PM, Neutrino said:

Well too scared to drive in and try to borrow TnG off other Singaporean car.

So this morning took MRT and 170 into JB.

1.5 hrs from Clementi to CS.

Tried the 711 in CS but they don't sell, but told me to try Watsons.

Watsons in CS level 2 sell own TnG at MYR20 then have to add on value.  So me being cheap charlie said I'd try Caltex first.

Cross the road to Caltex but they don't sell new cards only top up.  Asked him to top up my card which although 5 years without use and zero amount on the card said it was active.  He put MYR20 on the card although it took 10 min and I was dubious it worked.  Missus checked card online and it still said zero amount.

Went back to CS to eat on 6th floor and saw another Watsons there.  Lady behind counter very helpful and said she could sell card and put amount on card so I could use it straight away.  But then found that system to add amount not working.  Tried Watsons on 2nd level but system also down.  Tried another Mart but system also down.

Last effort walked along to Petron station and again very helpful old guy at counter checked all my cards, the card the Caltex guy put money on for me was working and showed the amount he put on but I bought another card from Petron and he put some money on it.  He also checked my other two cards and explained how to try to get reimbursed.

So returned to Clementi by !70 and MRT took 2 hours.

Will try going in at Tuas tomorrow.

But cannot understand how the oldest of my 3 TnG cards which hasn't been used for 5 years was still active and able to use.

Memories bro...

↡ Advertisement

Since i bought my first touch and go in dec 2019, i havent touch and use it....haiz...when i recently renewed my insurance, i even opt out driving to malaysia. Dont see any chance of using it anytime this year...haiz

4 hours ago, currypuff said:

Since i bought my first touch and go in dec 2019, i havent touch and use it....haiz...when i recently renewed my insurance, i even opt out driving to malaysia. Dont see any chance of using it anytime this year...haiz

Budget direct?

21 hours ago, Zxcvb said:

Look nice now when new... give it 3-5 years, then cannot stay already... last time like that, now also like that... their tourism standard is really tak boleh one... they have so much beautiful nature but don't know how to manage... especially Desaru, those locally owned and managed hotels and resorts are really CMI... only the international chains are good... which are few and far between along the beach front for Desaru... also some parts of the beaches at Desaru are quite dangerous... I stayed at Sand & Sandals in Aug 2019, quite ok, relatively clean and comfortable, but the breakfast place was overwhelmed in the morning, and the beach was not safe for playing or swimming... very steep incline, with hidden rocks and always got red flags out... sand also very coarse and painful to step on... facilities were new and good... but I think after a few years, it will not be stayable anymore... haiz...

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

I think by now, 99% of Touch N Go cards Singaporean have on their hands would have been deactivated due to non usage for 12 mths. Maybe when re-open, JB will announce FREE tolls for 6 months 😁 

On 9/27/2021 at 10:43 AM, Othello said:

I think by now, 99% of Touch N Go cards Singaporean have on their hands would have been deactivated due to non usage for 12 mths. Maybe when re-open, JB will announce FREE tolls for 6 months 😁 

Yeah... so will have big big jam at the Second Link & Causeway to buy new cards and to top up and the top machines will fail... and they'll have to collect cash from just one miserable booth... 

Wait long long for free tolls... sure must pay cash then buy and top up when inside Malaysia and when exiting they charge you double... ha ha... plus the cards will run out of stock in Johor cos so many people from Singapore spam JB... 

On 9/27/2021 at 10:43 AM, Othello said:

as long u add to your e-wallet app it won't be deactivated. 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, N00b said:

anybody been to desaru recently?

worth it for a day trip?

What are you looking for in a day trip? Public beach is good, just beware of the strong waves... you get white fine sand and a long flat natural beach... you can walk out very far from the shore but the water reaches only to your knees... there are fruit farms there as well for day tours... for food, nothing beats the local lobster restaurants at the end of Sungei Renggit... so definitely worth the drive... just start early to avoid the jam at the Immigration at Woodlands or Tuas...

On 6/23/2022 at 1:15 PM, teomingern said:

What are you looking for in a day trip? Public beach is good, just beware of the strong waves... you get white fine sand and a long flat natural beach... you can walk out very far from the shore but the water reaches only to your knees... there are fruit farms there as well for day tours... for food, nothing beats the local lobster restaurants at the end of Sungei Renggit... so definitely worth the drive... just start early to avoid the jam at the Immigration at Woodlands or Tuas...

thanks! saw online there are new hotels and water theme parks there too. maybe will plan a 2d1n trip

(edited)
On 7/5/2022 at 10:49 AM, N00b said:

thanks! saw online there are new hotels and water theme parks there too. maybe will plan a 2d1n trip

Yeah I was thinking of that too but delving deeper hor... the new hotels are really pricey leh... the Hard Rock Hotel is like S$200+ one night, A Sheraton that's also S$200+ one night... then there's a Westin that's like S$500+ one night... then there's a One & Only Desaru Coast which is double the rate of Westin... and another Anantara which is same rates as Westin... super pricey now... these are the Desaru Coast hotels - the new strip with all the fancy hotels where the water theme park is... not all have beach access though... the other locally run resorts are cheap and you know cannot make it... Sand & Sandals also not cheap - I stayed there one night before - standard still ok... but don't think of Desaru as a cheap getaway... it's definitely not...

Edited by teomingern

have not really looked at the prices yet. but seems expensive from what you say. even the ferry to desaru also not cheap! 🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1