GettingMotorbike License - how to get it fast?

Darryn

no fast way. Have to take the course at bbdc, ssdd or comfort. Alternatively, buy those illegal motorised bicycle. I see some of them ride like no tomorrow.

I want to get my motorbike license - any tips on the fastest way?

Well from enrolment til i got my class 2B it took me 3.5months. This is because i chionged through all the lessons (theres a total of 8 practical lessons, and you need to pass each one before progressing).

So if lets say on an average you take one lesson per week and pass it you may get it within 5 months. Don't forget you still need to pass your Riders Theory Test (like BTT) before you can actually progress to practical lesson ^ (which is the road training).

Its really about your time available to take the lessons, and your luck when it comes to the RTT dates. TP test date is a nother story altogether, i waited 1.5months for my TP after i passed my last practical.

Anyway i took my lessons from Comfort Driving Centre (Ubi) and i'm back there again because in about a months time i'll be taking my class 2A TP. So all the best to you.

Well from enrolment til i got my class 2B it took me 3.5months. This is because i chionged through all the lessons (theres a total of 8 practical lessons, and you need to pass each one before progressing).

So if lets say on an average you take one lesson per week and pass it you may get it within 5 months. Don't forget you still need to pass your Riders Theory Test (like BTT) before you can actually progress to practical lesson ^ (which is the road training).

Its really about your time available to take the lessons, and your luck when it comes to the RTT dates. TP test date is a nother story altogether, i waited 1.5months for my TP after i passed my last practical.

Anyway i took my lessons from Comfort Driving Centre (Ubi) and i'm back there again because in about a months time i'll be taking my class 2A TP. So all the best to you.

How hard is it to pass the lessons? I have been driving for 20 years, and on a (push) bike for like 30 (in traffic, up and down hills etc). I have also ridden motorbikes before (just never got my license).

is it practical to book all the lessons back to back, or one day after the other to get license in a few weeks?

And final question - the school provides the bike for the lessons right? What is it?

How hard is it to pass the lessons? I have been driving for 20 years, and on a (push) bike for like 30 (in traffic, up and down hills etc). I have also ridden motorbikes before (just never got my license).

is it practical to book all the lessons back to back, or one day after the other to get license in a few weeks?

And final question - the school provides the bike for the lessons right? What is it?

Since you already have some motorbike experience, this helps a lot as most newbies have to first get over their fear of falling off the bike, and of course the car driving license helps with the road traffic rules, etc. So the actual riding should not be a problem for you...

Having said all that - what you will be faced with is the red tape in getting a motorcycle license. It is slightly more involved than getting a car license in Singapore. I believe, due to the reason more people get killed on bikes than in cars in Singapore, the powers that be have made it more cumbersome to get a biker license than a car driving license.

1. You have to attend a course at one of the official driving schools (whereas for car's there is the option of private driving tutors)

2. You need to go through the riding theory test (even though you have passed your highway code and advance theory test for cars)

3. There is a series of stages in the practical riding lessons that you must go thru, having to pass each stage before moving on to the next

4. And then there is the longish waiting period (during my time of taking lessons, anyway) of having to book and wait for your traffic police riding test.

5. And finally, when you pass, you are presented with a license that allows you to take ride only a puny cc motorcycle.

6. If you want to advance up to the big cc bikes like the harley, etc.. you got to wait a year or so, and do another test? to get the next higher cc bike license.

To answer your queries.. you can book a series of practical sessions at one go (and also advised to do so, as you need to book available slots before they are fully booked).. but it does not mean you are booking lessons... you can only advance to the next lesson, if you pass the current one. Hope you get what I mean. (But its not that difficult to pass the lessons, esp if you already have experience)

And yes, they provide the bike for learning and taking the tests. They also provide the helmets.. though you'll be well advised to buy your own, as their helmets... well, suffice to say.. you never know what's been in these helmets... [sweatdrop]

i would recommend you to go bbdc. bbdc is the fastest school because you can book your TP when you start your lessons unlike other schools where you have to clear all your lessons first and then wait a month or two for your TP.

Also, it is not compulsory to wear knee and elbow guards provided (which are damn smelly la!)you should purchaseyour own helmet and pair of riding gloves. go singaporebikes forum and look for helmetboys. They've got a good package offer with home delivery service provided foc.

generally 2b is harder to pass than class 3 because firstly it is more technical and the driving obstacles are childs play compared to the riding ones. 2ndly, instructors give no chance during lessons, and will not hesitate to fail you for that lesson (unlike car lessons which will always have at least some progress) lastly, TP testers are especially Anal during the tests (instead of pleasing only one tester in class 3, u have to make sure all 10 testers do not mark u on your route!) . oh and now, new 2b riders have to go through an extra lesson of defensive riding when they pass, which is helpful i guess.

Edited by Zyrofillica

i would recommend you to go bbdc. bbdc is the fastest school because you can book your TP when you start your lessons unlike other schools where you have to clear all your lessons first and then wait a month or two for your TP.

Also, it is not compulsory to wear knee and elbow guards provided (which are damn smelly la!)you should purchaseyour own helmet and pair of riding gloves. go singaporebikes forum and look for helmetboys. They've got a good package offer with home delivery service provided foc.

generally 2b is harder to pass than class 3 because firstly it is more technical and the driving obstacles are childs play compared to the riding ones. 2ndly, instructors give no chance during lessons, and will not hesitate to fail you for that lesson (unlike car lessons which will always have at least some progress) lastly, TP testers are especially Anal during the tests (instead of pleasing only one tester in class 3, u have to make sure all 10 testers do not mark u on your route!) . oh and now, new 2b riders have to go through an extra lesson of defensive riding when they pass, which is helpful i guess.

Oh yea, theres a new ruling whereby all new 2B license holders will need to take defensive riding (due to the alrming rate of motrbike accidents) courses before getting the real license itself. Thankfully i got mine before this new ruling.

What about Class3? Fastest amount of time taken by anyone?

Well i guess the fastest is 3 to 4 months. It really depends on the TP test date. For CDC i saw the next test date is in Feb 2010.

CDC uses a Yamaha YBR 125CC which is an easy bike to handle. Its quite like an "ah-pek" kind of bike.

Well i guess the fastest is 3 to 4 months. It really depends on the TP test date. For CDC i saw the next test date is in Feb 2010.

HAR!! Cry man. I just enrolled CDC this morning - my workplace is Changi, staying Hougang Ave 1 / 3 side so BBDC is like other side of the world.

First practical lesson tomorrow, first three theory all booked...thanks for the answers - but if have to wait so long for TP test really cry man as I will just do the practicals as fast as can book slots.

Parking Idiot - how do I book the practical lessons without passing the previous one? The lady at the service counter wouldn't let me. I can book them online is it? Then just eat the fee if I don't pass the previous test?

Cheers

Darryn

CDC is a good choice for people staying in the east. Last time when I took class 2B 2A 2, Ubi was not offering motorcycle lessons and I have to take MRT all the way to BBDC to learn. I stay in Eunos somemore. :wacko:

What about Class3? Fastest amount of time taken by anyone?

Heh...for me 1.5 hours, I only had to pass the basic theory test :D

But my licensing system I had to go through for my NZ license...

1. Pass written test - this allowed me to learn how to drive, with a licensed driver over 25 in the car as my instructor (unless the person was my spouse) This was called a "learner's licence" and was vlaid for a minimum of 6 months or maximum of 2 years

2. After 6 months of learning I could sit my practical test - when I passed I got my "restricted" license. This was for a minimum of 18 months. Under the restricted license I couldn't carry passengers of drive between (I think - it was a long time ago) 11pm and 6 am or something like that.

3. After 18 months (2 years from passing written test) I got my full license.

I sat the written test less than two weeks after my 15th birthday. Got my first car abt 3 weeks after passing my practical test.

For the above, the "learner's licnese" time could be reduced if you took lessons with a professional instructor, and the resticed license if you too a defensive driving course.

bbdc advances student via lessons e.g Lesson 1.1, 1.2, 1.3

whereas for ssdc/cdc, they advance students via stages, Stage 1 to Stage 7/8 before your tp.

there's a driving centre that it is mandatory for students to wear long sleeve during their practical lessons forgot which is it.

if you have ride before be it local/overseas, best bet'd be to go to ssdc/cdc where you can complete your practical lessons earlier.

last time you could cancel your tp if there was any other earlier slots thus you can get your license much faster.

for now, whenever you cancel your tp be it for class2b or class3, no refunds will be made.

Edited by Kifakw

I want to get my motorbike license - any tips on the fastest way?

there is no fast way. have to go thru the schools. After almost 16years after getting my 2B, i decided on get 2A. [grouphug]

I forget my basic riding techniques and theories, couple with me riding a 3wheel scooter = Fail lessons many time [sweatdrop]

Wow. Really ahh? Like that must try to cheong liao. =D

Thanks for the info!

Heh...for me 1.5 hours, I only had to pass the basic theory test :D

But my licensing system I had to go through for my NZ license...

1. Pass written test - this allowed me to learn how to drive, with a licensed driver over 25 in the car as my instructor (unless the person was my spouse) This was called a "learner's licence" and was vlaid for a minimum of 6 months or maximum of 2 years

2. After 6 months of learning I could sit my practical test - when I passed I got my "restricted" license. This was for a minimum of 18 months. Under the restricted license I couldn't carry passengers of drive between (I think - it was a long time ago) 11pm and 6 am or something like that.

3. After 18 months (2 years from passing written test) I got my full license.

I sat the written test less than two weeks after my 15th birthday. Got my first car abt 3 weeks after passing my practical test.

For the above, the "learner's licnese" time could be reduced if you took lessons with a professional instructor, and the resticed license if you too a defensive driving course.

At first I was like, 1.5hrs? So fast?

Than I continue reading I realised how much madness you gotta go through.

Damn. (: Restricted license in the night. Walao. Alone in the night. Scary.

↡ Advertisement