Fatal accident along Upper Thomson Road kills one woman

Iridrium

Fatal accident along Upper Thomson Road kills one woman

SINGAPORE: A 76-year-old lady was knocked down and killed by a suspected drunk-driver Sunday morning at 6.50am.

Mrs Helen Wee and her husband were on their way to church on Upper Thomson Road when they were hit by a car. Paramedics pronounced Mrs Wee dead at the scene.

Her husband, 76-year-old Peter Wee, sustained head injuries and was sent to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

The driver, a 33-year-old Chinese man, was arrested for drink-driving and is now out on bail.

The couple's son said they were walking along the road instead of the pavement as the walkway was occupied by cars.

"There's no pavement at all. The pavement is all being parked by cars," said Mr Wee. "So, there's no way anybody can walk on the pavements even though it's there. That's why (my parents) probably walked along the side of the road, by the pavement beside the cars, and that's where my mom got hit."

Police are appealing for witnesses.

I don't want to jump to conclusion but I reckon the pavement occupied by church-goer cars who are too lazy and inconsiderate to park at proper lots.

That is what irritates me, cars illegally parked along side road going for their service at mosque, church or temple. Seems to me that religon takes precedent over everything!!! It is a matter of time before accidents happen, and look what happened.

↡ Advertisement

years ago, my ex-class mate who was 21 years old then, a classical long haired chio bu, on her way to church in UK, she was run over by a car. I will never forget her smile and dimple.