Singapore to Yangon Drive trip

Dwoon

Neutral Newbie

Dear All,

Please put me into the list too. I am on with Toyota Picnic...

Please to suggest that after election (10/10/2010) should be the best time to travel to YGN.

As well as Nov & Dec are winter season too.

↡ Advertisement

i guess the trip no way to travel.. what aboout Laos? I did drive to Udon but never drive across...only go by their thai/Lao cab... border area ...

i am jobless now.. so have alot of free time to travel to Yangon..!! come on..!

maybe might do a bkk and around thailand nothwest and northeast again..!!

i guess the trip no way to travel.. what aboout Laos? I did drive to Udon but never drive across...only go by their thai/Lao cab... border area ...

i am jobless now.. so have alot of free time to travel to Yangon..!! come on..!

maybe might do a bkk and around thailand nothwest and northeast again..!!

you should visit the tigers that roam freely...! at kanachanburi area...!

$500 baht entry but worth is as u can touch and take picture with big wild tiger free..!!

Neutral Newbie
On 11/12/2009 at 11:47 AM, Ah_Lau said:

Thanks buddy, appreciate the help. OK, here goes:

The purpose of this thread is to look for MCFers to join in a Singapore to Yangon road trip. I am a Singaporean working in Yangon. As far as I'm aware such a journey has not been done before for various reasons the main one probably being border crossing difficulties and government attitude towards foreigners who wish to drive.

The company (a Burmese GLC) I work for has agreed in principle to sponsor the event by way of taking care of the paperwork when the cars and particpants enter Myanmar. The value proposition for the sponsor is in brand building and being seen as a responsible corporate body. What's in it for particpant is the chance to do this trip in a safe and hassle free way and also to take part in volunteer work.

Along the way from the border entry at Mae Sot (on the Thai side) to Yangon, the plan is to do volunteer work, perhaps making the journey in 3 days, driving for half a day and then stopping at poorer villages for the night. Driving without stopping is maybe 15 hours slow drive.

One area of volunteer work that fits this sort of drive-through volunteerism is medical / dental care. If anyone has other ideas, please jump in.

I'm looking for drivers (with car) who would like to come. I will myself drive from SG to Yangon in my own car. For those who wish to join, this will be a unique opportunity to be able to drive from Mae Sot to Yangon, most likely never to be repeated unless they have the blessing of the Myanmar government. If there are doctors / dentists who wish to take part and also drive, even better. If not it's fine if they come as passengers.

The timing for this event is not yet fixed, but most likely will take place before end-March. The climate of Myanmar is coming into the cool and dry season now, so it is very pleasant once the weather stabilises.

Participants will be expected to cover their own expenses. Medical supplies will most likely be sponsored. We won't be staying in 5 star hotels along the way, neither will we be staying in backpacker type lodging, but it will be safe and comfortable. The pace will be relaxed, the way an enjoyable road trip should be.

The proposed schedule is SG - BKK (about 4 days), then BKK - Nakhon Sawan - Mae Sot (border crossing point), 2 days. Mae Sot - Yangon 3 days. Yangon and beyond - free and easy. The schedule is just a proposal, open to modification.

We will have Burmese participants to take care of the government liaison functions. Before end-Nov I will do a recce trip on the proposed route from Yangon to Mae Sot and back to see what conditions are like.

A bit about myself: I have some experience with long distance driving. I was team leader for Team Singapore during the India-ASEAN Rally in 2004. We drove from Guwahati to Batam (about 8,000+km) in about 21 days. Also drove my own car with AA Autoventures to Chiang Mai and also Phuket. Made numerous trips to Bukit Kayu Hitam and beyond.

Any takers?

How I wish I could join. But I can't for this time. Just back from Myanmar. Would be great if you could share what are the preparations and documents required for this trip for Myanmar National. 

Thank you!

↡ Advertisement